• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accidentally fare-dodged, worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballboy577

I forgot to tap in my Oyster card (yes, very lame excuse, this is true but I guess I have no way of proving this) and got caught and given a £40 penalty fare (now paid).

Will I still get a court summons? I'm freaking out over this and don't want to be given a criminal record over this.

For reference, it was on the DLR from Greenwich to Shadwell, a journey which I'd never made before, and I'm not familiar with stations without barriers. This obviously isn't a valid excuse, and I definitely deserve the fare, but does the fare carry anything else with it, and should I be worried about receiving a court summons anyways?

I might be overreacting, but I seriously don't want something like this to ruin my life

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Relax. The £40 is the penalty fare of £80 reduced by 50% because it was paid promptly. This is charged in lieu of the fare due and closes the matter completely. You will not here anything more about this case.

You will however be listed as a previous offender on their database, so a repeat indiscretion may not be looked upon so favourably.

Trainfan344

Established Member
So in future, just take extra care when making journeys to tap in/out!

Status
Not open for further replies.