• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accidentally gave old address when questioned with no ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie15

Hi, hoping someone can advise me on my best course of action.

I made a short train journey yesterday in Lancashire and did not have a ticket (there as a huge queue at the station I was travelling from meaning I would have missed the train if I bought one). I went to leave the station and was stopped and asked to produce a ticket, which I of course couldn't.

He then took my name and address and said that he was going to write down that I could not find my ticket. I asked what would happen next and he just said I'd receive a letter.

The main problem is that I think I might have accidentally given my old address. It was early, I hadn't slept, I was very very anxious and late for work. I moved from my previous address 6 weeks ago, but I had lived there for 3 years, so I'm still in the habit of saying it (they only asked for postcode and door number).

Now I don't know what to do. I don't know who I need to call as I'm not sure exactly who stopped me. My friend was stopped last week by some people under cover and was read a caution and told they will receive a letter. I wasn't read a caution and the people who stopped me were wearing high-vis jackets. I think they might have had the National Rail logo on, but I was so shaky and scared (and already late for work) that I didn't even ask.

I'm terrified that if I get in touch and tell them I gave the wrong address, they might accuse me of doing it on purpose and I'll be prosecuted for providing false information (as well as not being able to produce a ticket). I still haven't changed my address with the bank / provisional driving license (I'm not using it to drive), and my landlord's are forwarding my mail to me. So I don't know whether I should just ask them to forward any letters to me. Then again, they may soon get a new tenant and they might not do the same.

Any advice would be great. Do you think that, as my landlord's are currently forwarding other mail to me, and that I recently moved, they might be more lenient? Or do you think they will prosecute me? I would be happy to pay any fine I really don't care how much it is. I just don't want it to go to court as I will probably get sacked (my employer is very strict and I am still on 12 month probationary period).

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
What is essential is: if they send a letter to the address you provided, you will receive it promptly. So make sure the person forwarding your mail continues to do that. Once you've got a letter you can give them your new address when replying to it. You could also (pay to) set up forwarding at the Post Office.

Jennie15

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't actually aware that I was able to pay to have my mail directed. I have paid to have that done but it takes 5 working days, so my mail will be redirected as of Friday. I have spoken to my ex landlords and there aren't any new tenants in there, which is good. But they are going away on holiday for a week :/ I'll just have to hope that they send the letter after Friday or that the reply by deadline is long enough.

gray1404

Established Member
Or you could call Northern and tell them that you've moved house and ask them to update their records.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't actually aware that I was able to pay to have my mail directed. I have paid to have that done but it takes 5 working days, so my mail will be redirected as of Friday. I have spoken to my ex landlords and there aren't any new tenants in there, which is good. But they are going away on holiday for a week :/ I'll just have to hope that they send the letter after Friday or that the reply by deadline is long enough.

The chances of them sending a letter before Friday are virtually zero. It could easily be a couple of months before you hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.