• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accidents on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Wetzel

Does anyone know of any accidents, both major and minor, that happened on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Pure surmise; but I'd imagine that, re the R & ER in its original, 3ft. gauge form -- traffic ceased early in the 20th century, line re-made on the 15in. gauge and re-opened thus, during the World War I period -- with the "old" 3ft. line being moribund and decrepit during its latter days, one would envisage its suffering a fair number of minor derailments and other mishaps.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I'm not aware of any "major" accidents on the line e.g. someone being killed or seriously injured. Googling "RAIB Ravenglass" brings up reports for a couple of derailments in 2006 another in 2007. And then there is the recent collision with a van on a level crossing that has already been mentioned.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Pure surmise; but I'd imagine that, re the R & ER in its original, 3ft. gauge form -- traffic ceased early in the 20th century, line re-made on the 15in. gauge and re-opened thus, during the World War I period -- with the "old" 3ft. line being moribund and decrepit during its latter days, one would envisage its suffering a fair number of minor derailments and other mishaps.
Good shout! Reference to "The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway - A journey through historic postcards" (1991) includes a pic of a loco, variously identified as either "Devon" or "Nabb Gill", that derailed on 10th March 1905 close to the now demolished Murthwaite Farm near Eskdale Green, primarily due to the deterioration of the condition of the track in the locality. Line closure of the original three foot gauge set-up came eight years later, in 1913.

jp4712

There was a head-on collision in 1977 that resulted in 13 injuries, described in a report here: https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=6371

There was also a fairly minor derailment in 2007 that still merited a report, available here: https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=6404

What's interesting to me is that the 1977 collision prompted the R&ER to overhaul its signalling in an innovative way, resulting in a small heritage railway having a successful progenitor of RETB-type control before British Rail did.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Report here of a fatality at Irton Road station back in 1898. Train guard apparently fell and got run over by a train.

On line extract said:
On Friday last Mr. Thomas Bell, the popular guard of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, met with his death by accident while on duty at Irton Road Station. This is the first fatal accident that has occurred on this railway.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Another more recent one, last month as it happens, near to Irton Road station.

Train hits sheep. No injuries were incurred by either passengers or crew, apparently, but I doubt that the sheep came out of the encounter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.