• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Looks lovely but sadly well out of my price range!

Thought it might be, but yes it is very good.

I had a thought - a few pages ago, I think on this thread, someone pointed out that one side of one of the budget hotels ( Jury's Inn??? ) near Glasgow Central overlooks the platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thought it might be, but yes it is very good.

I had a thought - a few pages ago, I think on this thread, someone pointed out that one side of one of the budget hotels ( Jury's Inn??? ) near Glasgow Central overlooks the platforms.

Although unless it has thick windows, I would imagine if you get a room that side of the Jury's Inn it could be quite noisy with the various door buzzers coming up from the station (similar to the Travelodge at Rugby).

I always put Jury's Inn as one of those mid-market places, not as basic as Holiday Inn/Travelodge.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Silly question, but is it just me who has the minimum room cost of the Easy Hotel in Croydon seemed to have increased to £30 (plus the fee).

Seems to be around the same price as several Travelodges within the zones, Borehamwood for example picking a random day in the future is £29 for the room (which will be better quality than the bare basic Easyhotel room)

Butts

Veteran Member
Silly question, but is it just me who has the minimum room cost of the Easy Hotel in Croydon seemed to have increased to £30 (plus the fee).

Seems to be around the same price as several Travelodges within the zones, Borehamwood for example picking a random day in the future is £29 for the room (which will be better quality than the bare basic Easyhotel room)

I think they they missed an S out of Easyhotel.....Easyhostel more like :p

dave87016

Established Member
Edinburgh Haymarket Travelodge is very good, I was in room 2 ( ground floor) it was massive - same with the bathroom , the lady at reception was brilliant , polite and very helpful. I had a unlimited Breakfast at 7am and it was lovely, nice, tasty and hot.

Iskra

Established Member
...and the competition:

Premier Inn, Edinburgh Central, Lauriston Place.

A great premier inn. It's very modern and clean inside. It's in a perfect location right in the heart of Edinburgh, yet despite this I had a great nights sleep and it wasn't noisy at all. Finally, the staff on the front desk were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

richw

Veteran Member
I have this week stayed two nights in premier inn Derby East. Standard premier inn, nice bed clean etc, it was adjacent to the busy dual carriageway with my window overlooking the road yet never heard any traffic. My window had a minimum of quadruple glazing.
As far as premier inns go it was a good one.

Blindtraveler

Established Member

I hadnt checked lately but for me the Easyhotel stilll wins over TL on location, clenlyness and bed quality.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I stayed in the EasyHotel in Old Street, City of London a couple of years ago, and it was quite good.

It was very basic, and not having a window (which I knew about beforehand!) was a bit disconcerting, but I was only there for one night, so it wasn't a problem. One thing which it had, but which I haven't seen in many other hotel rooms of any size, was a wet room or walk in shower - I was surprised that it had one, as it seemed to be more than a basic thing to provide.

The location is quite good too, just up the road from the Old Street Rail and Underground Stations. Mind you, the prices seem to have gone up a bit since then, though - but I suppose that it's all about getting a deal at the right time. One thing to note is that there are a few extra charges - for example arriving early and leaving your case before checking in costs more.

richw

Veteran Member
One thing which it had, but which I haven't seen in many other hotel rooms of any size, was a wet room or walk in shower - I was surprised that it had one, as it seemed to be more than a basic thing to provide. .

They are cheaper to install and lower maintenance than a shower tray or bath to install. Means less work on installation to just fit a drain and appropriate flooring. Also no sealant to worry about going mouldy etc.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Barkston Rooms (Londonears Hostel)
Earls Court, London

Location is less than 5 minute walk from Earl's Court station (Earl's Court Road exit), with plenty of options for food [KFC, McDs, Burger King, a pub, M&S local, Co-Op etc].

At first glance it appears to be several houses knocked together, where shared rooms are available I paid for a single room which was on the top floor, window was a roof-light with a well fitted blind, plus size is that there wasn't much road noise. Some building work was being carried out (in terms of materials)

Downsides is that the shared bathroom was a bit on the small size, and it appeared you had to pay for towels, the stairs were quite steep. On the flip side the bed was quite comfy and the room lacked a TV, free wifi is provided which is handy to quickly check things.

I wouldn't have any issues if it came up again for £26 at shortish notice, considering that you are on the edge of zone 1 so early morning required moves to the main terminals are easy enough without much in the way of planning.

robbeech

Established Member
I have this week stayed two nights in premier inn Derby East. Standard premier inn, nice bed clean etc, it was adjacent to the busy dual carriageway with my window overlooking the road yet never heard any traffic. My window had a minimum of quadruple glazing.
As far as premier inns go it was a good one.

If you book a little in advance the riverlights ones is quite nice, easy access to the city centre and a 10 minute walk with a nice view to the station.

robbeech

Established Member
I stayed in the EasyHotel in Old Street, City of London a couple of years ago, and it was quite good.

I stayed in there for 4 nights one week in....November, or December, i can't remember. The room was very very warm the first night but i asked if it could be cooler in the morning and it was fine for the rest of the stay. Some of the Easy Hotels have temperature controls in the rooms, this one appears not to.
It ticked all the boxes, a few minutes walk from either Old Street or a few extra minutes to Barbican.

I'm staying in the Earls Court one from Tomorrow until Saturday (except Thursday night when i'm in Norwich). My other half has stayed in that one and Paddington and says they are all very similar.

dave87016

Established Member
The Hornby Villa on Hornby Road in Blackpool a 5-10 minute walk from Blackpool North Station spotless rooms small shower space but not a problem excellent fresh hot breakfast proper big brands the owners are truly amazing they got little touches in the rooms chocolate on pillow ear plugs , deodorant air freshener fresh milk ( on request) in a half pint bottle with foil over the top to keep it fresh definitely going again next month for Heritage Tram weekend

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Lansdowne hotel and conference centre Norwich:

less than 10 mins walk from station, about 4.50 in a cab through the 1 way system.

Its not Modern and tripadvisor makes grim reading but for what it is its fine and certainly acceptably clean, poor to non existant wifi but mobile data good.
Bed fine, tiny tv but didnt use, kettle with tea/coffee abd bickies. Limmited plugs so advise a multi block if needing to boost multiple devices.
All rooms ensuite on multiple levels. Unique gated lift with swing door on each floor and showers reasonable. Recently under new ownership and understand refurbs planned.

Delicious breakfast with fruit/cerial, OJ, tea/coffee and full English as well as other choices. Breakfast water on my visit last Friday was an X BR and later privitised Anglia franchise guard and later booking office clark now semi retired and just working an easy job. Receptionists Husband works at Crown Point Depot and another member of staffs partner is a Greater Anglia Stuard. When joking suggesting that more enthusiasts book they said we were welcome and no doubt crank chat and basher speek would be fine! Bar and eavening meals available but didnt sample. Paid 46 quid advance rate B and B.

palmersears

Established Member
Two from me for this month:

Glasgow Charing Cross Premier Inn

Standard Premier Inn really. Right above Charing Cross station, which was handy, though it you end up in a room on the West/South sides then you do get a fair bit of noise from the M8 and occasionally the station. Room itself was more than adequate, shower excellent and bath very good. Didn't try the rest of the offerings. Overall if you can get it for a decent price (I got it at £75 for a Friday-Sunday stay) then it'd do a job, certainly.

Ilford Travelodge

A 3 minute walk from Ilford station, so again handy for popping in to London. I think they must have put me in a family room, minus the second bed/cot, as the room itself was massive. Bed very comfy, shower good, was on the side overlooking the entrance so just the occasional bus noise, nothing more. Again did not try any of the extras. Got this for £100 for three nights (Wed-Sat) which was very reasonable. Best Travelodge I've been in.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Royal Station Hotel, Newcastle

As the name might suggest, it's right outside the station. Got a double room for £96 on a Friday night, which I didn't think was too bad considering. Room was upgraded from a standard double to a family room, which included a separate room with twin beds. Room was accessed by traversing several corridors and flights of stairs but there are plenty of rooms nearer the lifts. Room was clean, had free tea and coffee as well as a mini fridge with water, orange juice and KitKats which were complimentary. WiFi was free throughout the hotel and seemed decent. Our room had a good view of the castle and trains coming round the curve from Manors and off the High Level Bridge. There was some noise from the station below, as could be expected, but didn't seem as bad as some places (e.g. Crewe Arms).

Didn't bother with breakfast as it was £9.10 a head. Pub opposite the station (Nicholsons?) did 2 breakfasts for £10 and they were excellent, despite a long wait for them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Gilson Hotel, Hull

Stayed there Friday night due to wanting a nice early start on the Saturday, location is probably one of the best I've stayed at recently, sub 3 minute walk from the station at Hull. Free WiFi which seemed decent enough, a nice single bedroom with a powerful shower and free tea/coffee.

Bit of background noise from outside (cooling fan) was probably the only negative. I paid £35 for the night which was reasonable for a city centre location on a Friday night, cheaper places were available but I decided the location was worth paying that bit extra

Perfect for anybody wanting to do that PSUL move from Leeds towards Hull via Castleford ;)

Didn't try the breakfast or visit the bar

boyaloud

Might I proffer my thread on HUKD, http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ibi...-hotels-book-mon-17-tue-18-april-stay-2660004. It's a really fantastic deal as most hotels are brand new and more luxurious than Easy Hotels, at least on a par with Travelodge. The "Styles" brand I would really recommend as they include buffet breakfast, e.g. new one at Heathrow is featured nearly every week, has great decor and an easy bus ride from Heathrow/Hatton Cross tube or Hayes+Harlington railway station. (Zone 5/6, 24 hour buses).

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Anker Apartment, Oslo

Apologies for the very delayed review, I am so far behind on my TripAdvisor reviews it's unreal. I did have an eatery review to do as well, but it's so long ago I don't recall the details so will regretfully pass on that one.

Anyway, as for this accommodation in Oslo, Norway. It was as described easy to walk to in about 5 minutes from Kirkeristan tram stop, however finding the main entrance was confusing on arrival. Thankfully I soon located it, and I was initially impressed with my arrival. Reception was huge, and I didn't have to wait long to get served.

What I didn't expect, as it wasn't mentioned on the Hotels.com app, was to pay 70NOK (approximately 7GBP) for bed linen and towel rental. So up to the room and once I figured out that you have to manually open the lift door it was soon to the room on the 4th floor. Sorry but I've forgotten the room number. After finding the sensor for the keycard I was in and fair game, this room was enormous. A nice big double bed, closer to the ground than I like, was most welcome for a quick lie-down after a very long day. Plenty of power sockets were found but I only needed one. A table and chair were provided, and unusually in my experience so were a cooker with oven and hobs, as well as a fridge. If you didn't have your own utensils you could rent them too, but I had no desire to do so.

The bathroom was a very generous size with a wet room-style shower which I'm used to from easyHotel and quite happy with. Wardrobe space was also available, but I didn't have any hangers and wasn't going to ask for any.

A convenience store was located immediately next door, think Spar pricing and then some if you're reading in the UK.

Oslo Central station is approximately 20 minutes walk at a fair pace from this accommodation, and a relatively easy route too. It is a bit uphill in the northbound direction but nothing super taxing. The city centre is also easily done by tram, but be warned there's no buy on board and no ticket machines outside the city centre. Certain shops will sell you tickets but as you can imagine, finding them isn't the easiest thing to do for a tourist. The Metro is about a 15 minute walk away, but I didn't think the Metro was all that good in terms of value for money.

My two night stay cost me 97GBP plus the 7GBP bed linen and towel rental, so very much not cheap at all. If I had paid that on the day, and not pre-booked, I could understand the high cost but this place is far from fancy and, in my eyes, is outdated. I don't ever intend to return to Oslo, the dullest city I've ever visited so I cannot recommend without bias this location. I believe Anker also do dorm rooms which were around half the price, but that wasn't an acceptable option for me.

Janet's B&B, Canons Park, London

Me and Blindtraveller stayed here for 3 nights recently during 'Tech's Two Fingers To Terrorism' on a recommendation from a friend of his. We had a twin room, number 4 for reference, and I was actually pretty impressed. The room was huge, and while the beds were not quite as comfortable as I like, they were still superior to those in Hotel Exe, Vienna. Mind you, the double bed I had in Anker Apartment (or whatever it was called!) in Oslo was far comfier.

I never did get used to the step into the bathroom, but that shower was brilliant. Only a smal cubicle but it did the job nicely. Tea and coffee with a kettle was most welcome, and breakfast was a tea/coffee, toast and cereal job but this did just fine for us. Breakfast times on a weekday were slightly odd in being 0800-0830 only, with it being 30 minutes later at weekends.

Nevertheless, we had lovely hosts in a beautiful part of suburban north-west London and I would happily live in this part of the city. It is well linked with the Jubilee line a short-ish walk away (we never did the walk so I can't give you a time) with route 186 on the buses 2 minutes walk away on Abercorn Road. Said bus route will take you to Harrow & Wealdstone station in the west and Brent Cross, via Edgware bus station and Mill Hill Broadway station, in the east. We used the buses every morning and evening, if only to save walking.

I would definitely stay again, at £45 a night for a twin room it's not cheap but definitely good value, especially if your travel needs put you in that part of the city anyway. Single rooms go for either £30 or £35 from memory, I never checked properly.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Pipped me to it with this one Tech, its worth pointing out there were lots of little extras for the price e.g hairdryer, Iron for those who wanted it, decent WiFi and also a fridge a nd microwave for guests usage, the fridge being particularly handy as it ment fresh milk for coffees and chilled drinks to take with us bashing!

ashworth

Established Member
Here are a few hotels that I have used during the past year. All very close and within sight of railway stations.

Premier Inn Exeter St. David's
Fairly standard Premier Inn but as the name suggests in close proximity to Exeter St. David's Station. It is straight across the road and my room overlooked the station entrance and car park. I booked well in advance and paid approx £50 per night, for a 7 night stay, which I don't think was bad for July and the location. The hotel was so close to the station that I didn't really need to leave my room much more than 5 minutes before departure and even allow for delays using live departures on my phone.

I made full use of the very good value 8 Days in 15 South West Rover. I did 3 trips down into Cornwall visiting Looe, St. Ives, Penzance, Newquay and St. Agnes by bus from Truro. I had a day up at Ilfracombe using train to Barnstaple then bus. A day around Torquay, Brixham and Dartmouth using train, bus and ferry. Also a very long day out visiting Salisbury, then down to Christchurch via Southampton, on to Weymouth and returning via Castle Carey. Another day was spent in Bristol with an early evening walk along the sea front at Weston Super Mare on the way back.

Premier Inn Bradford Central
An above average Premier Inn just over the road from Bradford Interchange and less than 10 minutes walk from Forster Square. It was above average in terms of size of room, friendliness of staff and low prices. The price was no more than £35 a night for my 6 night stay which was less than half the price of similar hotels in nearby Leeds. I was quite impressed at how nice the area of Bradford was around the hotel with a new shopping centre across the road, the cathedral and the very nice Centenary Square which was close by near the Town Hall. The National Media Museum and Alhambra Theatre are also within a few minutes walk. I wasn't very impressed with much of the rest of Bradford away from that small central area and I think many areas are best avoided.

I used trains and buses to travel around West Yorkshire mainly using day tickets. The K Day bus ticket was only £4.20 a day which allowed travel on Transdev Keighley buses out to Bingley, Keighley and then even on to Skipton, Ilkley and Harrogate. A great day was had at The Worth valley Railway where I even walked some of the Railway Children trail. I will certainly stay here again and perhaps use it as a cheap base for a 7 day North East Rover.

Best Western Queen Hotel Chester
A large former railway hotel straight opposite the entrance to Chester Station. Quite expensive but it was good to have a bit of luxury during what was a cold and somewhat wet 6 night stay last November. I think I paid about £70-£80 a night but it was worth it. The breakfast was excellent.

During my stay I had a trip along the North Wales Coast and a trip down to Shrewsbury. I also enjoyed a couple of days exploring The Wirral by train and bus including Port Sunlight, West Kirby, New Brighton and a bit of shopping at Cheshire Oaks. Chester was a lovely city to explore on foot including visiting the Cathedral, walks by the canal and around the city walls.

Travelodge Vauxhall London
Usual basic Travelodge room but modern well maintained hotel with friendly staff. If you book well in advance prices here are for some dates much lower than similar hotel in London. Sunday and Monday nights are often very good value. Comfortable bed and surprisingly quiet. I just find the lack of wardrobe and storage space a pain in this budget hotel. I ended up living out of my case!

The hotel is situated overlooking Vauxhall Bus Station and Tube Station with Vauxhall National rail immediately at the back of the hotel. Therefore great for visiting all London locations and south of London by train.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pipped me to it with this one Tech, its worth pointing out there were lots of little extras for the price e.g hairdryer, Iron for those who wanted it, decent WiFi and also a fridge a nd microwave for guests usage, the fridge being particularly handy as it ment fresh milk for coffees and chilled drinks to take with us bashing!

Good points there, that'll teach me to rush typing the review on the bus home! I must make sure I edit my memo file before posting the review on TripAdvisor.

Yes indeed, WiFi was very reliable and quite quick too. If I do indeed stay again I'll make sure I use that microwave!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nomad Backpacker - Cardiff

For the first time in a few years I had a dorm room (as Cardiff is one expensive place to stay).

Located around a 5 minute walk from Queen Street, roughly 15 minutes from Central so ideal for some early starts. Friendly reception with old railway posters on the walls, bunk beds were reasonable comfort [not as hard as say Le Easyious Hotelous] however apart from the usual downside of shared rooms (people coming back from a good night out on the drink, then moaning in the morning that "there head hurts") the windows could have had better blinds.

For £17 a night I wasn't complaining, especially given the central location (located down a side street so little road noise).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Blindtraveller and I are staying there next month, so I'm glad it gets a decent review from you Kite.

Coming soon: my long-awaited review of PubLove@The Great Eastern, Cutty Sark, London. I should have got on typing up notes by now, but there's something to do on tomorrow's commute.

Kite159

Veteran Member
YHA, Cardiff

For a late notice booking for a Friday night my options were more limited than usual, and it came down to either this hostel or the same one I had last weekend.

Location, around 15 minutes walk from Cardiff Central, more away from the main city centre in the "New Town" area, near the Bute Eastern Docks. The building and room were of a higher quality, 2 bunk beds in the room I had, each with their own lamp/power socket (with shelf above to allow a safe place to rest), en-suite bathroom [although towels are extra].

Only downside was the mattress was quite hard. Would go onto my list as a 2nd option (after the Nomad place, mainly based on location)

Chris Wallis

I wonder if anybody would be able to help me please. Are there any Hotels in London with a view over a main line?

The Mrs wants to spend a few days in London later in the year, but is refusing to pay Landmark prices again!

Yeah, I know.......I wont complain just to keep the peace. But I thought I'd see if I can make the best of it and get some time watching trains!

I seem to remember a hotel overlooking the Chiltern Mainline being mentioned by somebody, but the search function hasn't picked anything up.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There's a Travelodge at both Balham and Vauxhall that have rooms overlooking the railway, pretty close to their relevant stations. Edmonton Green may have some rooms overlooking the railway but you might not be able to ID anything for sure.

Not the same thing of course, but easyHotel Croydon have rooms which overlook the tram line towards Elmers End.

I can't think of any other immediately obvious places right now