• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Premier Inn on the South Bank for some nice wheel screach from 376s?

There's a Travelodge over the top of Wembley Central station. Bethnal Green has views of the Chesunt/Chingford/Enfield Town lines. Walthamstow Central is in Walthamstow Central car park (only overlooks the Chinford line so pretty musc only 1 type of traction on view, but it's not far from Walthamstow Queen Street where you can see occasional freight on the Goblin).

The bonus with Bethnal Green is it's on top of The Backyard Bar and Comedy Club.

Last edited:

les.

Just returned from a week in The Scottish Highlands. We went up there in one day, we left at 6.30am and didn't arrive at our destination until 8.30pm so it was a very long day of traveling.

We have broken the journey before at Edinburgh and as we are going up again in November, thought that we would break our journey again overnight. We have previously stayed at a Travelodge near to Edinburgh Waverley station but looking at the date that we want to stay this time it seems to be very expensive (for a basic Travelodge that is).

Can anyone suggest anywhere else that has a reasonably priced hotel or B&B within walking distance of the station, north of Ednburgh where we could break our journey this time.

dave87016

Established Member
Just returned from a week in The Scottish Highlands. We went up there in one day, we left at 6.30am and didn't arrive at our destination until 8.30pm so it was a very long day of traveling.

We have broken the journey before at Edinburgh and as we are going up again in November, thought that we would break our journey again overnight. We have previously stayed at a Travelodge near to Edinburgh Waverley station but looking at the date that we want to stay this time it seems to be very expensive (for a basic Travelodge that is).

Can anyone suggest anywhere else that has a reasonably priced hotel or B&B within walking distance of the station, north of Ednburgh where we could break our journey this time.

Edinburgh Haymarket Travelodge is a 5 minute walk at most from Haymarket Rail Station can be cheap sometimes worth having a look at your intended date of stay

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Most likely if 1 is pricy the other will be to, they tend to all jack their prices at once, its a central Edinburgh thing!

Depending on your intended route theres plenty of good accommodation in Carlisle, I have 3 direct suggestions if interested?

les.

Most likely if 1 is pricy the other will be to, they tend to all jack their prices at once, its a central Edinburgh thing!

Depending on your intended route theres plenty of good accommodation in Carlisle, I have 3 direct suggestions if interested?

Yes, the Haymarket one is the same price too unfortunately.

I'm afraid Carlisle wouldn't be viable as we'd be travelling up the East Coast Mainline from Doncaster.

les.

Worth looking in Dunbar which has quite a few small places which could suit your needs.

Failing that Perth seams like your best shout but dependant on final destination may be to far north?

We go to Plockton, 2 stops before the end of the Kyle line. I'll have a look at Dunbar and see if I can find something. Thanks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
We go to Plockton, 2 stops before the end of the Kyle line. I'll have a look at Dunbar and see if I can find something. Thanks.

Someone on this thread ages ago recommended a B&B near Dumfermline Town, although I confess I don't remember when that post was made. It might have been 2015, and I don't have the time this morning to have a look.

That might be off-course for you given your destination though. I've never stayed anywhere in Scotland that would be any good to you. My final comment is to try easyHotel. Slightly more basic than Travelodge (no TV and no kettle), but certainly worth a look.

dave87016

Established Member
Someone on this thread ages ago recommended a B&B near Dumfermline Town, although I confess I don't remember when that post was made. It might have been 2015, and I don't have the time this morning to have a look.

That might be off-course for you given your destination though. I've never stayed anywhere in Scotland that would be any good to you. My final comment is to try easyHotel. Slightly more basic than Travelodge (no TV and no kettle), but certainly worth a look.

Clarke Cottage at Dunfermline - just found the corner from the station

LeylandLen

Have you thought about the Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel( Beds from: Adults £15.00 Children £13.50 Rooms from: £26.00 ) 10 mins walk from Waverley station.
No , you dont have to be a 'youth' to stay there !!!!! I've no idea who you are, or ages etc.
Its a few years since I stayed there ; from memory its on the road to Leith . so north of the station.They have 251 rooms , you can rent a room or share a room.Anyway, look at https://www.syha.org.uk/where-to-stay/lowlands/edinburgh-central.aspx

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sandras Backpackers, Thurso

As the name suggests it be a hostel, but I paid £18 only a few days before booking so it was reasonable priced for what I had planned (ignoring the fact that plan fell apart from the word go).

Around 5 minutes from the station, with lots of various takeaways, tesco & co-op nearby, as is the North coast.

Comfortable beds (2 bunk beds in my room with ensuite bathroom), only thing was the curtain didn't cover the entire window (and with the hours of daylight in Thurso being quite long). Good common room to relax :)

les.

Sandras Backpackers, Thurso

As the name suggests it be a hostel, but I paid £18 only a few days before booking so it was reasonable priced for what I had planned (ignoring the fact that plan fell apart from the word go).

Around 5 minutes from the station, with lots of various takeaways, tesco & co-op nearby, as is the North coast.

Comfortable beds (2 bunk beds in my room with ensuite bathroom), only thing was the curtain didn't cover the entire window (and with the hours of daylight in Thurso being quite long). Good common room to relax :)

Thanks for the suggestion but I think Thurso may just be a little bit too far North to break a journey up to The Scottish Highlands. :D

shredder1

Established Member

Stayed here last year, I can certainly recommend it, facing Haymarket station about £15 a night http://www.edinburghcitycentrehostels.co.uk/

robbeech

Established Member
Whilst talking Scotland, very soon if not already the student accomodation in Edinburgh (and no doubt other cities in Scotland and Beyond will be available for non students to book into to stay, there's a few to choose from.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Whilst talking Scotland, very soon if not already the student accomodation in Edinburgh (and no doubt other cities in Scotland and Beyond will be available for non students to book into to stay, there's a few to choose from.

Agreed there, and some reasonable prices for basic accommodation but close enough to the city centre to be walkable (or be on the road towards Leith which has seemingly endless buses)

47513 Severn

I stayed at this recently opened Easyhotel last week. It is the same as the Heathrow version in that the rooms are very small and the service is very much no frills. Nonetheless I would recommend it if all you need is a bed and a shower for the night at a reasonable price.

It is a very short walk from the Hill Street exit of New Street station and has plenty of shops etc. nearby. My room was £16.95 for one night, 29-30 May, booked only a couple of days before. Admittedly that was for the smallest, windowless room they offer but I still think that's a very good price for the location. Wifi was an extra fiver but it was perfectly fast enough to watch iplayer.

Clean, cheap and convenient.

richw

Veteran Member
I stayed at this recently opened Easyhotel last week. It is the same as the Heathrow version in that the rooms are very small and the service is very much no frills. Nonetheless I would recommend it if all you need is a bed and a shower for the night at a reasonable price.

It is a very short walk from the Hill Street exit of New Street station and has plenty of shops etc. nearby. My room was £16.95 for one night, 29-30 May, booked only a couple of days before. Admittedly that was for the smallest, windowless room they offer but I still think that's a very good price for the location. Wifi was an extra fiver but it was perfectly fast enough to watch iplayer.

Clean, cheap and convenient.

These for me are perfect, as I arrive just before bed, have a shower, sleep and then leave just after waking up. I rarely arrive in daylight so not fussed about a window. Cleanliness and a comfortable bed are my priorities. Both of which easyhotel seem to meet. As a result easyhotel are my first search. Their web site search could be improved as doesn't show other local branches and their prices in the search just the nearest

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A number of the cheep cheep hotel brands could learn a lot from Easyhotel who prove again and again to me that its possible to have a clean budget hotelroom. TL/Ibis Budget in particular Im looking at you here.
Aircon too is always welcome

Butts

Veteran Member
A number of the cheep cheep hotel brands could learn a lot from Easyhotel who prove again and again to me that its possible to have a clean budget hotelroom. TL/Ibis Budget in particular Im looking at you here.
Aircon too is always welcome

Well I stayed at the Easyhotel in Glasgow and The Ibis Budget at Edinburgh Park.

The IBIS was ten times better and a similar price !!!

Perhaps the exception to the rule ?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
In my experience certainly. I find all Ibis branded propperties of whatever kind lacking in something or other and never really been a travelodge fan. I accept though that Easyhotel isnt for everyone and for some takes basic to a new level but quite a few forum members spend a fare wack of money at their Croydon branch in particular and have little bad to say about it. I certainly appreciate in particular the fact that the fresh smell of bleach greets you in coridors and on opening your room door. Given Iv had many a travelodge stays where the housekeeping is suspect to say the least this alone makes up for things like a lack of a kettle etc.

If I were bing super picky Id say get rid of the tiny little bin in the rooms and have a big one or a holder of rubbish bags on each floor. Most guests who are there for more than 1 night will naturally gather a bit of waist and I must say the majority are good at keeping their own little compact box nice and tidy.

HOOVER29

In the past when doing a couple of days in the capital I always bought tickets in advance & "popped" back home to Leicestershire at the end of the day as I preferred home comforts.
However now I'm fast approaching 50 I can't be bothered with all that malarkey so can anyone recommend a good clean cheap hotel within walking distance of a tube station in or around London?
My mate always stops at Watford so that maybe an option too.
Not expensive but no dead cheapo ones either. £50 - £70 price range.
Thanks for any suggestions

richw

Veteran Member
In the past when doing a couple of days in the capital I always bought tickets in advance & "popped" back home to Leicestershire at the end of the day as I preferred home comforts.
However now I'm fast approaching 50 I can't be bothered with all that malarkey so can anyone recommend a good clean cheap hotel within walking distance of a tube station in or around London?

If you want somewhere clean and comfortable to sleep and wash the easyhotel at Croydon is popular amongst members. It's not sonewhere to holiday, but for a turn up and sleep it's a good choice

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm glad to see a positive review of easyHotel Birmingham, as I anticipate a need to stay there later this year. The trip for which is not planned yet, but would need an early start in Birmingham. Full details to be announced at the time.

I'm a big fan of easyHotel Croydon, I've genuinely lost count of the number of nights I've stayed there. Only ever had that fire alarm issue the one time me and Blindtraveller had a multi-night stay, and I'm glad I didn't lose faith in the brand. I've got a stay at the Earls Court branch coming up, and before someone comments it'll be noisy that's not a problem, I don't intend to stay in the room for long. Something like 2200 until 0500 if that to be honest. After a full day of graft and a long journey on LM I'll be more than able to sleep heavily, of that I am certain. I'll review it next week of course.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I can also echo reviews of EasyHotel Birmingham, having bizarrely also stayed there over 29-30 May! My room was £19.20 for the night and was spotless, check in at 2330 was easy enough as was check out at 0500.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Kite159

Veteran Member
I found during the height of the summer last year the windowless rooms are more cooler than the ones with seeled windows.

Although the one in Croydon isn't as cheap as it once was, and it is a bit of a shame the website doesn't allow you to compare prices between the various hotels as it used to do

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Recently had a night in the Ibis Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof, and fortunately got a room with a view. Plenty of freight and passenger passing, but not so as to disturb you in the night (see attached).
Fairly standard Ibis, breakfast OK if a bit expensive*, controllable air-con (thank goodness). Not the cheapest, but I booked in advance for €20 less than the price shown outside.

* they were very proud of their new DIY waffle bar at breakfast, advertising it extensively. The reality was various sad abandoned soggy waffles, and amended instructions to put no more than two [crossed out] one portion of batter in the waffle machine.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 27

robbeech

Established Member

There's a couple of hotels opposite King's Cross that can be had within that budget although you tend to have to book in advance. The Belgrove, The California and The Carlton are 3 I have stayed in.