• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Railman158

I'll be staying at Jurys Inn next to Glasgow Central not cheap at £75 per night. But I'll imagine a high room with a river/railway view would be ideal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine for the rooms which overlook the station it could get noisy with door buzzers sounding (a bit like the Travelodge at Rugby)

woodhouse122

Just come back from a quick last minuite trip to london & reading with 2 night at feltham travelodge (cheapest i could find in the zone 1-6 travelcard area),i was weary as i have had some bad experiences at travelodges in and around london but i was pleasently suprised-£130 for two nights with breakfast and wifi, a 24 hour asda near . a gregs,Macdonalds and wetherspoons in the area and a very short walk to the station

IanD

Established Member
Every travelodge experience is a bad one for me, glad this worked for you.

Conversely, I've never had a bad experience at a Travelodge. Ever. In the 30+ years I've been using them. Once I had to have a double room instead of the family room I'd booked but as I was on my own it didn't matter.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Ibis Budget Cardif: rock hard beds, working aircon, clean, decent WiFi, limmited sockets, free tea/coffee in reception a nice touch, make of it what you will. Easy reach of stations and coaches.

Travelodge Pembrook Dock: its a Travelodge, quiet, no facilities but LIDL/ASDA nearby, I dont like Travelodge so nout else to say really although a notable first for me in all my stays that the room was actually clean on arrival.

Penzance Backpackers/the Blue Dolphin: its a hostel, clean enough, cumfy lounge, decent seaming kitchen, shared bathrooms, I dont think its the best value but I dare say theres worse.

Sorry if this is a moany post but these last 3 have been the best on a limmited budget to facilitate an ALR.

Back at Easyhotel Croydon tomorrow, unless somethings changed I'll be happy with this.

grid56126

Premier Inns at Barrow in Furness and Burnley

Spent two days in Barrow and three in Burnley over the last week.

Standard Premier Inn really. Barrow was more up to date and had air con, which was quite welcome. I was on the top floor of 3 and despite being fully booked on the Wednesday, was superbly quiet. I had a couple of calls in advance from them asking if I had any special requirements and the second call was obviously a check to make sure I wasn't going to ask for anything tricky on arrival to upset them coping with being full

Breakfast was taken in the Brewers Fayre next door, which on Thursday was quite busy just after opening due to them having a large party in. All food was fresh and decent. Friday AM breakfast was pretty poor. I didn't go down until 08.00 and everything had just been left under warmers and was pretty much inedible. They were the pole opposite of full up on the second night. I had a polite word and to be fair to the staff they offered to cook me a fresh breakfast of whatever I wanted, I wasn't the only one who took up the offer and it was done speedily and without fuss. They knew!

Anyway, it's located South of the town and I had the car with me so avoided a hefty walk to / from the station. I guess a taxi would be a few quid.

Burnley was a bit of a time warp. Still standard rooms, but this one was much older. First floor, no lift. No magic slot for the key card to power the room which also meant no air con. So an open window and the provided fan sufficed. Absolutely no problem though. Everything thing else is as you would expect from a Premier Inn and a nice touch was the openly available access to extra tea / coffee / milks on the counter. Never an issue asking and getting this elsewhere but a nice touch not to have to ask!

Never bothered with breakfast at Burnley, fry ups 2 out of 5 days is enough, even for me and I was setting off for first trains on the KWVR / ELR so obtaining food enroute or at these locations was no an issue.

Paid £39 each for all the nights expect the Wednesday in Barrow which was £99 for one of the last rooms they had

richw

Veteran Member
I stayed at Gatwick airport way last Thursday. Room good, comfy, clean. I slept like a baby (quite literally. Put my 18 month old to bed and I was asleep within 15 minutes).
The onsite restaurant was poor.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Travelodge Glasgow City/Central-

Stayed last Saturday (24/06) with my girlfriend and in room 221 and it was honestly the worst Travelodge room I've ever stayed in. The rooms are dated, and this one had a random chunk taken out of it with the bed jammed in. Right next to the lift, and incredibly noisy.

Then I stayed on my own on last Wednesday night (28/06) and I somehow ended up with Family room 202! Huge, much better, a much better bathroom and a lot quieter.

Still wouldn't return though. Not exactly close to Glasgow Central station or Queen Street (at least a 15 minute walk to both). Nearest station was Cowcaddens Subway station (3 minute walk) but the number of beggars (vocal and often abusive ones at that) hovering around the underpass made using it rather unpleasant, especially in the evenings.

boyaloud

Is she your X Girlfriend after treating her to that dump? I am amazed its still going given the far nicer Easyhotel is nearby.

And there's the brand new Travelodge Queen St, very close to Queen St station and a few minutes' walk from Central.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
She didn't mind too much as she's stayed in the London Farringdon one which to be honest was even worse.

It was very last minute. Next time I'd do the Easyhotel though the clientele on the Saturday night (a lot of rowdy stag parties smoking weed) didn't encourage me!

And indeed, the Central one was cheap. £35 for my stay in the family room.

les.

I've booked a room at The Waverely Guest House, Inverness when I am on the way back from Plockton.

The only way I could do the journey home in one day from Plockton was to catch the half past 6 train in the morning which wouldn't really be viable but can do the journey no problem leaving mid-morning from Inverness.

I suppose I should have checked on trip advisor first but I have just had a look and the reviews are not very good.

It does seem to be within easy walking distance of Inverness train station so has anyone stayed at this hotel and is it as bad as some reviews make out. As I booked it through booking.com, I can easily cancel this and book an alternative.

djpontrack

I've booked a room at The Waverely Guest House, Inverness when I am on the way back from Plockton.

The only way I could do the journey home in one day from Plockton was to catch the half past 6 train in the morning which wouldn't really be viable but can do the journey no problem leaving mid-morning from Inverness.

I suppose I should have checked on trip advisor first but I have just had a look and the reviews are not very good.

It does seem to be within easy walking distance of Inverness train station so has anyone stayed at this hotel and is it as bad as some reviews make out. As I booked it through booking.com, I can easily cancel this and book an alternative.
I stayed there in March last year, it was ok and the room I had was acceptable.
The only thing I was disappointed with was the breakfast which was just a cold buffet. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I'm a big breakfast type of guy :D. It is very close to the station which is obviously a big plus point.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've used The Waverley Hotel in Inverness, it is reasonable during the week but the room I had both times overlooked a pub so had a bit of noise. The rooms are basic but it was reasonable priced compared to other accommodation in Inverness, but you can't really beat the location as it is less than 5 minutes from the station.

Sleep Hotel, Sheffield

Located around a 5 minute walk from the Cathedral stop on the Supertram (all be it up a large hill) so probably 16 or so minutes to the station. It is a small hotel (10 rooms) and has steep stairs. I was on the top floor where the shared toilet is a bit on the small side.

A small amount of road noise, but overall a reasonable place to stay if in Sheffield, needing a hotel close to the city centre allowing for a late finish/early start.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Indeed, I paid £30 for that room on a Friday night. Cheaper options were available but they all seemed to be further away from the city centre

les.

I've used The Waverley Hotel in Inverness, it is reasonable during the week but the room I had both times overlooked a pub so had a bit of noise. The rooms are basic but it was reasonable priced compared to other accommodation in Inverness, but you can't really beat the location as it is less than 5 minutes from the station.

Cheers, I think I'll stick with it then. As you say it's cheaper than most places in Inverness and I'm only really going to want a bed for the night and if it overlooks a pub then it won't be far to stagger back to. :D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Inverness is stupidly chingy for accommodation these days, Im showing my age when I say I can remember when a good bed, breakfast, dinner, few drinks and whatever else used to be gettable up there without ones wallet becoming seriously immaciated

woodhouse122

Currenttly doing a spirit of scotland railpass staying in the glasgow queen street travelodge,near to both queen steet and central stations but i don't think i'll be making a return visit due to having 2 false fire alarms (both at breakfast time) and Flloding leading to being put on a new floor without notifying me :D

woodhouse122

How did you find out then? Did you just wake up in a different room?
left the hotel at 9am ,then returned to the room later on to find all my stuff had been stripped out and transfered to a different room (i thought i'd been robbed ;) )

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Poor poor service from a pathetic excuse of a hotel chain. Angry with them tonight myself as they offered my cuzzon and partner free nights as a result of previous cockups and complaints then tried to restrict them to 1 hotel. They managed to get this changed and once freebies are finished woant be using them again.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed, I'm currently staying in Premier Inn as a means of Travelodge detox after my last horrendous experience with their Glasgow Central one.

Hopefully their one in Norwich won't be as bad next week.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk