• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Cedars House Hotel, Croydon

Located around a mile & a half from East Croydon station, but with plenty of buses to choose from nearby the hotel to take you back into the town centre, even a couple night buses. The room I had was a single room at the back of the property with hardly any outside noise (even with the window open).

Decent WiFi and free breakfast (cereals, toast etc), the bed was comfortable the only negative was the floors being laminated wood so it was a bit cold underfoot.

One I would revisit especially since I paid £35 for a room on a Saturday night a couple weeks in advance. Friendly manager/owner as well

shredder1

Established Member
Just stayed in my two favourite Glasgow Hostels over the weekend, right next door to Central station, the St Enochs Hotel, 6 room dormer had it to myself £13 for friday night and the Euro Hostel, a bit expenses at £20 for the night, but thought I`d live a little, off to Prague tomorrow night Rosemary Hostel near Hln station £6 a night, yay

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just stayed in my two favourite Glasgow Hostels over the weekend, right next door to Central station, the St Enochs Hotel, 6 room dormer had it to myself £13 for friday night and the Euro Hostel, a bit expenses at £20 for the night, but thought I`d live a little, off to Prague tomorrow night Rosemary Hostel near Hln station £6 a night, yay

Agreed, both those places are in excellent locations in the city centre.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I really must remember that one Kite, it sounds like a really nice place :) As I promise in my trip report (which I assure you all will go up later, all 8 days of it to be posted) here's my hotel reviews from the trip. I don't need to wax lyrical about easyHotel Croydon, as I've done so plenty of times in the past.

Lucky 8 Hotel, 21-25 York Road, Ilford, London

We were originally booked in Brittania Inn Hotel up the road, but due to leaks in the rooms that had been booked there, we got transferred to Lucky 8 instead. Good call, as this is a really nice hotel and I was immediately glad of the move! I must mention though it needed to be nice, a single room is normally £75 here!

Receptionist was really friendly, and once she had checked my passport and I filled in a short form I had my room booked. I was in room 5, immediately opposite the breakfast room. This is a twin room, and it's a modern room with comfortable beds much akin to those in easyHotel Croydon. The shower was most efficient, the bathroom an excellent size too. Complimentary toiletries were provided as well. In the room itself, a kettle with tea and coffee supplies was provided, and there is free WiFi in the rooms which works really well. I didn't use the TV in the room, but while not massive it would have big enough to happily watch from bed.

Breakfast, it was a buffet-style self-service hot food counter, with fruit juices, tea and coffee as well as toast and fruit available. It was mighty delicious too and while I found the coffee just fine, but could have done with a bigger cup, the orange juice was bitter and not recommended. Otherwise, the hot food was cooked beautifully and thoroughly enjoyable.

Checkout was easily done too. This hotel is very close to the railway station, so much so you can hear the trains running with the window open in room 5. Didn't bother me, of course, but it might annoy other people. I'd happily book here again, as it is only a 3 minute walk from the station and a decent handful of bus routes. For the price they charge, I couldn't stay very often, but Ilford has finally redeemed itself after that god-awful York Hotel!

Apartments Swiss Star, Zurich

I honestly didn't think this was going to be much of a place from the appearance of the building, but it was actually quite decent. The keycode you get via the form linked to in the email after booking, this gets typed into a machine on the back entrance and the key is released. Instructions are in English and German, and while one machine wouldn't accept my code the other one thankfully did. Once I got the key, which works both the main entrance door and the room's door, I was very pleasantly surprised by my room. It was quite large for a single room, with a TV which I didn't use, a comfortable (especially so for European standards!) bed, plenty of storage space and an acceptable size bathroom.

I didn't discover the free WiFi until a few hours into my stay, but it worked brilliantly much to my relief. The shower was very efficient, not something you get everywhere, and most gratefully received. Breakfast is not provided, but that didn't bother me as I was out early anyway. Check out is again via the machines at the back (driveway between the building and the Ford garage will get you there), again you type in the code you used for check in and a different slot opens to put the key in. Once it goes in, you won't get it back, so please make sure you have everything with you! I did, but I always triple check everything anyway!

It is easily accessible from the city centre on tram line 3, only a minute's walk from Albisriederplatz tram stop. Due to it being so close to tram line 2, if the window is open, and yes it was mandatory in late October much to my surprise, trams will be heard going by until gone 11pm and from around 6am.

Hotel Central Station, Milan

"Hotel" is a bit ambitious, it is a hostel! It looks a beyond grim place from the building, and once I eventually found it I trekked up the stairs to the first floor where the "hotel" was. Check in involved a passport check and a €2 city tax payment, the form was filled in by the receptionist. I was allocated a space in room 117, which is a 3 bed dorm. It must be said they're not amazingly comfortable and rather squeaky when turning over etc, but it was still better than the fold-out bed in Travelodge Pembroke Dock!

The bathroom is obviously of a shared nature and a reasonable size. The shower is in a fixed position which was inconvenient but I managed OK with it once the hot water was flowing. As it was very warm for late October, the window was wide open and the room is immediately opposite the railway station's furthest out platforms, but more importantly alongside stops for coaches to Malpensa airport. Noise from outside can be expected until late evening, one of my roommates had the sense to close the window some time after I'd collapsed into a deep sleep, but then he was next to the window so it probably annoyed him the most!

Checkout was simply a case of leaving the key on the reception desk. I'm not a fan of hostels of any sort, those days are way back in my past as far as I'm concerned. I've now done three of them this year, and I intend to do no hostels in 2018!

palmersears

Established Member
Hoping somebody can provide a bit of assistance. Essentially I'm looking for the cheapest town/city vaguely in the south-west that meets most/all of these criteria:
  • Decent service from Bristol
  • Decent early morning service to London on a Saturday (25 November to be precise)
  • Cheap (less than £60 a night on 24 November if at all possible)
So far I've found a decent one in Bristol itself, and whilst Exeter is cheaper it's also a right slog from there in to Waterloo on the Saturday. I was wondering if there are any other suggestions?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hoping somebody can provide a bit of assistance. Essentially I'm looking for the cheapest town/city vaguely in the south-west that meets most/all of these criteria:
  • Decent early morning service to London on a Saturday (25 November to be precise)
So far I've found a decent one in Bristol itself, and whilst Exeter is cheaper it's also a right slog from there in to Waterloo on the Saturday. I was wondering if there are any other suggestions?

You could try Salisbury, hourly service from Bristol, first service to London is the 05:12 (which arrives at 06:49). A quick search and there are a couple B&Bs within the city centre for less than £60. :)

boyaloud

You could try Salisbury, hourly service from Bristol, first service to London is the 05:12 (which arrives at 06:49). A quick search and there are a couple B&Bs within the city centre for less than £60. :)
highly recommend the Wetherspoon hotel in Salisbury and in fact anywhere in the U.K, they are fantastic, and I don't work for them! Just checked, £69 for a single room on 24th. Of course, breakfast is in Spoons and not included but only about £3.50.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Taunton was pretty cheap when I stayed there a year or two ago. Also Weston super Mare out of season?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Anyone been to the Kings Cross Royal Scot Travelodge in London before?
Just want to check if there is a reason why it seems fairly reasonably priced despite being fairly well located?

I'm late to this party, but grim.

I last stayed there four years ago, and it was horrible. But it is a room lottery. My room was horrific; my colleague had a palace. If only I could have shared it with her :lol:

It's an old Forte Posthouse and they've not really touched it since Granada days (or at least not my room, which still had Forte branding!).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Birmingham Central Backpackers

I've stayed here once before, back in 2014 and it hasn't really changed. Anyhow location is around 5 minutes (depending on traffic lights) from Moor Street, 10 for New Street so ideal for those early starts. This time I was in a room with 6x bunk beds so it was a bit cosy in the room. Beds were reasonable (nothing to shout home about), however there is a bit of outside noise from the road. However for £15 for a night is reasonable, compared to the £50+ I was getting quoted in the other city centre places

palmersears

Established Member
IBIS Budget - Bristol Temple Quay

A last minute booking so it was surprising to get a room for £45 on a Friday night. Located just 5 minutes from Temple Meads I was offered a choice of rooms (front or back, what floor etc), and ended up in 222, overlooking the entrance and lines out of the station. Check-in was done online the night before so when I arrived at 8pm I was straight up to my room, which was spacious, and looked quite new (I'm guessing the entire hotel is no more than a couple of years old?). Aside from a slight smell of damp, it was excellent, with a good bed, plenty of sockets and a shower that is easily the best I've used in any hotel. I also sampled the bar/restaurant which was decent, if a little pricey. Beware that it is popular with clubbers if there's a big night on at the local 'super club' but I'd definitely recommend it to anybody wanting a hotel near the station even so.

woodhouse122

had a megabus trip to london last wednesday, tried tolworth travelodge for the first time,very friendly staff,quiet location decent room and a good price,would deffiently consider using it again (very handy having the 265 bus to putney bridge tube station outside thehotel :) )

Kite159

Veteran Member
For some reason I forgot to post about this:

Euro Hostel, Newcastle

Located around 10 minutes walk from Newcastle station so it be in a good location, friendly staff on reception. I was in a room of 4, en-suite toilet/shower. Only slight negative is a bit of outside noise (mainly with some other people arriving later after a good night out on the drink), and the bottom bunk didn't have a lot of head-room (normally I can sit up on the bottom bunk). One place I would use again if staying in the Newcastle area.

Easy Hotel, Birmingham

Located less than 2 minutes walk from Birmingham New Street, it certainly is central and ideal if arriving late or departing early. I was in a windowless* room on the 3rd floor (although there was a roof-light with a blind) and compared to Croydon the rooms feel bigger. TV on the wall (however you have to pay extra for a remote control) with a decent en-suite [powerful shower], a few plug sockets with little cut-outs in the headboard to allow you to place your device. Friendly staff on reception, usual hardish bed but that is only a small downside, one place I would use again.

Home London (Kings Cross Area)

This was a late booking (due to the timings of a railtour getting changed), so I was impressed with a room of 3 for £16 (plus a £10 deposit for the room key). Located less than 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross (near the Tesco Metro) so another ideal location for any early starts [or in my case late finishes]. Friendly staff on reception, although I did get the top bunk (first time staying in a place which has triple bunk beds) which did feature little curtains [and an oddly placed light]. However the room I was in wasn't the quietest as it sounded like a generator or AC unit was near the window which was humming all night long, and the room did get hot with the window closed and the toilet situation was odd (female toilets on the 1st floor, mens toilets were downstairs)

(Sadly for some members this hostel has an age-limit of 18-35)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone have much experience of either of these Premier Inns in Glasgow?

Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross)
Glasgow City Centre (Argyle Street)

I've stayed at Charing Cross a few times and found it to be very reasonable on the upper floors. Not stayed at Argyle Street; anyone have experience of it? I do not like to stay anywhere that has any issues with noise though.

And does anyone have any experience of the Premier Inn at East Kilbride (Peel Park)? This appears to be a short walk from Hairmyres station.

TheAdelante

I've stayed at Charing Cross a few times and found it to be very reasonable on the upper floors. Not stayed at Argyle Street; anyone have experience of it? I do not like to stay anywhere that has any issues with noise though.

And does anyone have any experience of the Premier Inn at East Kilbride (Peel Park)? This appears to be a short walk from Hairmyres station.
I'm afraid I've stayed in none of the above but the Holiday Inn Express Argyle Street was quiet enough when I stayed there, so presumably the Premier Inn in the same location will be too. :)

palmersears

Established Member

I stayed at Charing Cross last year:
Glasgow Charing Cross Premier Inn

Standard Premier Inn really. Right above Charing Cross station, which was handy, though it you end up in a room on the West/South sides then you do get a fair bit of noise from the M8 and occasionally the station. Room itself was more than adequate, shower excellent and bath very good. Didn't try the rest of the offerings. Overall if you can get it for a decent price (I got it at £75 for a Friday-Sunday stay) then it'd do a job, certainly.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm a bit of a hotel snob to be honest, but when I did my ALR in April 2016, I needed somewhere to stay in Holyhead. I reluctantly opted for the Travelodge but was very impressed. In the same week I stayed at one in Swansea city centre, and a month later, Bethnal Green in the East End of London.

All three were good. OK, I've had better breakfasts in other places, but they filled a hole.

Travelodges are cheap enough, you generally know what you're getting, and they're everywhere.

shredder1

Established Member
For some reason I forgot to post about this:

Euro Hostel, Newcastle

Located around 10 minutes walk from Newcastle station so it be in a good location, friendly staff on reception. I was in a room of 4, en-suite toilet/shower. Only slight negative is a bit of outside noise (mainly with some other people arriving later after a good night out on the drink), and the bottom bunk didn't have a lot of head-room (normally I can sit up on the bottom bunk). One place I would use again if staying in the Newcastle area.

Easy Hotel, Birmingham

Located less than 2 minutes walk from Birmingham New Street, it certainly is central and ideal if arriving late or departing early. I was in a windowless* room on the 3rd floor (although there was a roof-light with a blind) and compared to Croydon the rooms feel bigger. TV on the wall (however you have to pay extra for a remote control) with a decent en-suite [powerful shower], a few plug sockets with little cut-outs in the headboard to allow you to place your device. Friendly staff on reception, usual hardish bed but that is only a small downside, one place I would use again.

Home London (Kings Cross Area)

This was a late booking (due to the timings of a railtour getting changed), so I was impressed with a room of 3 for £16 (plus a £10 deposit for the room key). Located less than 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross (near the Tesco Metro) so another ideal location for any early starts [or in my case late finishes]. Friendly staff on reception, although I did get the top bunk (first time staying in a place which has triple bunk beds) which did feature little curtains [and an oddly placed light]. However the room I was in wasn't the quietest as it sounded like a generator or AC unit was near the window which was humming all night long, and the room did get hot with the window closed and the toilet situation was odd (female toilets on the 1st floor, mens toilets were downstairs)

(Sadly for some members this hostel has an age-limit of 18-35)

I didnt think they were allowed to have age limits in hostels, I use them all the time but have no experience of this, its age discrimination surely?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I didnt think they were allowed to have age limits in hostels, I use them all the time but have no experience of this, its age discrimination surely?

That is what it had on the booking site, no idea if someone like yourself booked up as the first time they would know is when you went to check in and had to present ID.

pitdiver

I am planning to take my wife up to Forf William in May so she can experience the sleeper and the scenery. I would be quite happy to go up one night and come back the following night.
However she doesn't fancy that and would like to stay up for a day or two. Can anybody recommend a hotel in the middle of Fort Bill for one or two nights. Got the chance of The Imperial Hotel but they want £200 per night.

Kendalian

I am planning to take my wife up to Forf William in May so she can experience the sleeper and the scenery. I would be quite happy to go up one night and come back the following night.
However she doesn't fancy that and would like to stay up for a day or two. Can anybody recommend a hotel in the middle of Fort Bill for one or two nights. Got the chance of The Imperial Hotel but they want £200 per night.

The Premier Inn is 5 min walk from the station. Stayed there several times...recommended. The rooms facing the railway direction have partial views of Ben Nevis (well when it's not raining).

Butts

Veteran Member
The Premier Inn is 5 min walk from the station. Stayed there several times...recommended. The rooms facing the railway direction have partial views of Ben Nevis (well when it's not raining).

The Travelodge is not that far either and right by a Wetherspoons - a good TL not one of the doss ones.

gazthomas

Established Member
Both the PI and TL at Fort William are good. Better than the local, independent hotels in my experience. Indeed, when on half board not long ago my starter was Potato Soup. It was literally overboiled potatoes!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

The Alexandra.

I've stayed there a few years ago on a family holiday; they didn't charge anything like that. Decent place, good location, also only 5 minutes walk from the station.

Butts

Veteran Member
Premier Inn Breakfast £10.50 !!!

Stayed at Premier Inn Stansted Airport last night on my way back from Luxembourg to Newport.

Since when did the brekkie sneak over a tenner - or is that just Airport Locations. Don't worry readers I got my money's worth as I delberately had nothing substantial to eat whilst in transit the night before....

Beat this.....

2 Orange Juices
3 Lattes

Cornflakes, Yoghurt and Croissant to start.....

Full and I mean full English......

2 Poached Eggs
2 Sausages
2 Black Pudding
4 Bacon
2 Hash Browns
Mushrooms
Baked Beans

2 Slices of Buttered Brown Toast

And to finish.... A Muffin !!!

Good location for the Airport / Rail Station up to scratch inside in terms of facilities and decor. Only slight pain £3 each way on a shuttle bus (no return available). Would probably be as cheap in a Taxi for 2+. M&S Food Shop and McDonalds within walking distance.

As always with a Premier Inn the key to value is the price paid (£31) particularly as a solo traveller.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just booked the YHA at Cardiff for friday night, £6.99, Eastern European prices, yay.

If it is the same one I stayed at last May (Tyndall Street) then it is quite modern for a hostel.

----

Premier Inn breakfasts always seem to be expensive compared to other nearby places, I think the only time I've had a breakfast in a PI (or travelodge) is when work is paying for it.