• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Premier Inn Breakfast £10.50 !!!

Stayed at Premier Inn Stansted Airport last night on my way back from Luxembourg to Newport.

Since when did the brekkie sneak over a tenner - or is that just Airport Locations. Don't worry readers I got my money's worth as I delberately had nothing substantial to eat whilst in transit the night before....

Beat this.....

2 Orange Juices
3 Lattes

Cornflakes, Yoghurt and Croissant to start.....

Full and I mean full English......

2 Poached Eggs
2 Sausages
2 Black Pudding
4 Bacon
2 Hash Browns
Mushrooms
Baked Beans

2 Slices of Buttered Brown Toast

And to finish.... A Muffin !!!

Good location for the Airport / Rail Station up to scratch inside in terms of facilities and decor. Only slight pain £3 each way on a shuttle bus (no return available). Would probably be as cheap in a Taxi for 2+. M&S Food Shop and McDonalds within walking distance.

As always with a Premier Inn the key to value is the price paid (£31) particularly as a solo traveller.

Still showing as £8.99 for the full cooked breakfast at the local Stockport Central PI (£6.99 for the cold option)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Still showing as £8.99 for the full cooked breakfast at the local Stockport Central PI (£6.99 for the cold option)

Hmm...they must have deviated from National Pricing with regard to the Breakfast like they did many years ago with the Rooms.

shredder1

Established Member
If it is the same one I stayed at last May (Tyndall Street) then it is quite modern for a hostel.

----

Premier Inn breakfasts always seem to be expensive compared to other nearby places, I think the only time I've had a breakfast in a PI (or travelodge) is when work is paying for it.

Yes thats the one Kite, not stayed in it before, I usually stay in Nosda or the Bunkhouse in Cardiff, being a tight Northerner I usually breakfast in Weatherspoons

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes thats the one Kite, not stayed in it before, I usually stay in Nosda or the Bunkhouse in Cardiff, being a tight Northerner I usually breakfast in Weatherspoons

Quite a reasonable location as well IIRC, a good 10+ minutes walk from the station however it isn't really in the city centre so you don't tend to get the drunks arriving at 2am banging around as they attempt to remember where they put the room key (or which room they are in) etc

shredder1

Established Member
Quite a reasonable location as well IIRC, a good 10+ minutes walk from the station however it isn't really in the city centre so you don't tend to get the drunks arriving at 2am banging around as they attempt to remember where they put the room key (or which room they are in) etc

Its wouldnt bother me Kite, I`ve fell asleep in a disco before today mate :lol:

LeylandLen

I've also stayed at Premier Inn , Stansted , (#959) going to and from Madrid,last year, having driven to Stansted. Yes you pay £3 shuttle bus each way , but parking was free leaving the car at the PI. Wouldn't want to pay the exorbitant car parking charges at or near the airport !

General Zod

Could someone recommend any 'cheap and cheerful' B+Bs within walking distance of Mallaig station ?

Thanks.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Stockport Travelodge

I stayed here on Saturday night as it was surprisingly cheap, located less than 10 minute walk away from the station so an ideal location in Stockport. My room had AC and double windows, usual Travelodge room but with USB sockets by the bed (in addition to the standard 3-pin plug socket), due to the shape of the building it is sort of a horseshoe so my room was sheltered from outside noise (not sure if you get a room on the railway viaduct side what the noise would be like).

I was surprised as from the railway it looks like a large hotel, but it is only on 4 floors with the floors above it for other purposes.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Stockport Travelodge

I stayed here on Saturday night as it was surprisingly cheap, located less than 10 minute walk away from the station so an ideal location in Stockport. My room had AC and double windows, usual Travelodge room but with USB sockets by the bed (in addition to the standard 3-pin plug socket), due to the shape of the building it is sort of a horseshoe so my room was sheltered from outside noise (not sure if you get a room on the railway viaduct side what the noise would be like).

I was surprised as from the railway it looks like a large hotel, but it is only on 4 floors with the floors above it for other purposes.

Yes that building dates from the early 70s and was originally built purely as office accommodation, first couple of floors are/were home to a local radio station, I think the Travelodge has only been open for about 3 years or so. If ever in Stockport in the future there is an Innkeepers Lodge approximately 4 mins stroll from Heaton Chapel Station, based on the same site as the Miller & Carter Steak Restaurant, not sure if the prices are competitive though.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yes that building dates from the early 70s and was originally built purely as office accommodation, first couple of floors are/were home to a local radio station, I think the Travelodge has only been open for about 3 years or so. If ever in Stockport in the future there is an Innkeepers Lodge approximately 4 mins stroll from Heaton Chapel Station, based on the same site as the Miller & Carter Steak Restaurant, not sure if the prices are competitive though.
There is of course also the relatively new Holiday Inn Express across the road from the Platform 0 entrance.
Sam

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There is of course also the relatively new Holiday Inn Express across the road from the Platform 0 entrance.
Sam

Yes of course Sam! and it's getting very good reviews too! The hotel that Stockport Station was promised for years and I forgot to mention it :oops:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes that building dates from the early 70s and was originally built purely as office accommodation, first couple of floors are/were home to a local radio station, I think the Travelodge has only been open for about 3 years or so.

Has it really been open that long? I must have mixed it up with the Holiday Inn as being a newly opened hotel.

Certainly less of a walk compared to the Premier Inn I've stayed at a couple times before.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Has it really been open that long? I must have mixed it up with the Holiday Inn as being a newly opened hotel.

Certainly less of a walk compared to the Premier Inn I've stayed at a couple times before.

Kite159 my apologies, I've just learned that the Travelodge at Regent House Stockport actually opened on 6th Jan 2017. Sorry for the duff gen!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Kite159 my apologies, I've just learned that the Travelodge at Regent House Stockport actually opened on 6th Jan 2017. Sorry for the duff gen!

Don't worry about it Ash, my memory wasn't playing up by.

-----

Anyhow time for a couple more hostel reviews (yes I've certainly loosen up with regards to hostels):

Kensal Green Backpackers 2, London

This hostel was rather cheap (I paid £8.55 for a bed in a room of 8), but cheerful. A large hostel over multiple floors with a little bar downstairs. Located pretty much outside Kensal Green station and also on a night bus route. Downside is that the curtain for the window wasn't actually large enough for the window, allowing daylight around the edges and some noise from the WCML close by (mainly Voyagers). Just beware there is a £10 key deposit which isn't mentioned when booking, and random selfish idiots who arrive at 3am and spend the next 20 minutes sorting out their luggage (seriously if you know you are going to arrive in the early hours, try and keep noise down). Not a lot of plug sockets what I noticed.

Budget Hostel, Byker, Newcastle

A smaller hostel compared to the one before (only 6 rooms), unusually I was in a room which had a key code to enter (just beware if you are staying for a long weekend as the front door code changes on Sundays), but a nice bonus of the beds getting made for you (which is unusual for a hostel where most times before it is make your own bed). The Pillow was crap though. Located around 5 minutes walk from Byker metro station, with what looked like plenty of bus options to fall back on. First night was a bit hit & miss (but to be honest I suspected a noisy night due to Newcastle being a drinking destination), but apart from the roof windows not having any blinds on it was quite reasonable [other than a selfish girl who positioned her suitcase to hide a pair of plug sockets, and got edgy when I asked her to turn her music down on the Sunday night/Monday morning as it was quite loud]

robvulpes

Anyone know what's happened to station-stays.co.uk (Accommodation near British rail stations)? It was working a couple of weeks or so ago, but for the last few days I've been getting 'site can't be reached'. I've tried Googling in case the web address has changed, but that points me to the address that fails.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hackney Hostel, London

Located a couple minute walk from London Fields station, plus has several bus routes going past. However the hostel itself appears to be quite run down, with the key for the room (2 bunk beds, however it was tiny) needing a magic trip to get the lock to work. However the main issue with the location is that it is against the railway line with the top floor pretty much at track level so you get lots of noise. Friendly member of staff behind the front desk, but that is really the only positive.

One to avoid, certainly one of my worse stays, although not quite to the horrors of that place in Leyton

Kite159

Veteran Member
Couple more new hostel/hotel stays for me:

Clink78 Hostel

Located around a ~ 7 minute walk from Kings Cross so quite centrally located, a proper hostel (in terms of having a proper reception desk, rather than being one of the sort which is above a pub or a converted house). Beds were unusually arranged in a 'pod' layout (the top of the bed was against the wall, so you entered via the bottom), with a little light, couple USB sockets and a plug socket, as well as a decent size ledge in which you could put your phone/glasses. Free use of lockers within the room. A good hostel I would say, only slight downside was the toilet doors being quite heavy to open (and were fast enough to close), with the window lacking any sort of curtain so there was a bit of outside noise (there was a bar/social area in the basement of the hostel).

Glasgow City Easyhotel

Located around a 10 minute walk from Glasgow Central/Queen Street (allow extra time for many traffic lights), or a couple minute walk from the Cowcaddens stop on the subway. The hotel itself looks recently done up, but is the typical Easy Hotel in terms of being budget. The bed in my windowless room was quite comfy and the en-suite was small but serviceable. I couldn't see any controls for the AC though. One I would probably stay in again depending on price.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Anyone know what's happened to station-stays.co.uk (Accommodation near British rail stations)? It was working a couple of weeks or so ago, but for the last few days I've been getting 'site can't be reached'. I've tried Googling in case the web address has changed, but that points me to the address that fails.

Wasn't that run by a forum member known as dorsetman, Could always try a PM to him?

Did you have any luck with this, please?

The reason I ask is that I've used it as a useful reference in the past, but it still seems to be down tonight.

Thanks.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Crewe Arms Hotel, Crewe

Located just outside the station (it took me longer to walk from my room to the hotel entrance than from the entrance to the station) so location can't be beaten, however this comes with a price as I would imagine some rooms might be noisy. However I was in a room probably the furthest away you could get, but there was still outside noise (mainly from the road, but the odd noise from the station). My room had all the mod-cons expected from a Best Western, the beds were comfortable. The best part was the option for an "Express" breakfast to takeaway, plus the breakfast was a "help yourself" jobbie.

One I would probably revisit if I need to spend the night again in Crewe.

Kite159

Veteran Member
West End Hotel, Haymarket, Edinburgh

Located around a 7 minute walk from Haymarket station, I was in a room on the 2nd floor, a tiny bit of noise from the music lounge downstairs. Friendly staff and en-suite bathrooms, however the room I was in probably wasn't designed for 2 triple bunk beds and when all 6 people were in the room it was a bit on the cosy side (I would imagine it was originally a room with a single bed made into a shared room in the past). Helpful features that every bed had a little light, a plug socket & 2x USB sockets which was handy.

I only picked this hostel/hotel due to it's late check in but it is probably one I would pick again if I needed an early start from Edinburgh/Haymarket stations

Drogba11CFC

Can-y-Bae Guest House, Llandudno
A very nice place on the Llandudno seafront. Relatively inexpensive, and a good breakfast.

Black Boy Inn, Caernarfon
Very comfortable, within easy reach of the WHR. Good breakfast too, as well as a restaurant and bar.

Monfa Guest House, Tywyn
A very friendly family-run B&B. Breakfast includes fried bread.

Station Inn, Shrewsbury
Very close to the station, but no breakfast and a lot of traffic noise. Effectively a cocktail pub with hotel rooms.

Glengower Hotel, Aberystwyth
Comfortable hotel on the seafront, with restaurant and bar.

Premier Inn Swansea Waterfront
It's Premier Inn so it's predictable, but the restaurant has lovely views of the waterfront.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Hotel BB at Paris Malakoff - perfect view of the main line out of Montparnasse if you can get a room on floors 4, 5 or 6.

Unfortunately they've screwed up my booking and I am on floor 1 with a nice view of the trees and the sound screen wall...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Update to the above post, having made a note of the room numbers:

You'll need to ensure you book a room in the following range if you want a view of the line:

500 to 512
536, 537 or 538
600 to 612

The 4th floor would also be OK, but you'll start getting the tops of trees in the way.

3rd floor - you'll be looking through gaps in the trees.

Below that - no chance of a worthwhile view at all!

Gathursty

Established Member
I am going to bash some lines centred in Norwich for my Summer break. Any recommendations no further than the area between Wymondham and Acle for a b&b or campsite with decent shower facilities?

Thanks.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hatters Hostel, Birmingham

Decided to give these another try after some poor customer service in March time due to the snow, and based on Mr Shreds trips.

Located less than 10 minutes walk from New Street, around 5 minutes from Snow Hill. It is near the St Paul's stop on the West Midlands Metro however even that is around a couple minute walk from the front door. A lot less noisy compared to my previous hostel in Birmingham, and when booking I decided to go for a 4-bed room as it wasn't that much more expensive. A nice old building it was with some leather sofas to relax on. The room itself was a bit on the cramped side with two bunk beds in, however both nights I stayed I was on my own until the early hours (Friday night/Sat Morning someone popped up around 2am, Saturday night/Sunday morning someone else randomly popped up around 5am) so how bad it would have been with 4 bodies I don't know.

The only window was in the en-suite bathroom, and that didn't open but had a vent at the top so the room was a bit warm until I used my boot to wedge open the bathroom door to get some air into the room. Another negative is an automatic sensor in the bathroom itself, not the best when you are having a shower and the lights go out :lol:

The beds weren't that comfortable in all fairness, the mattress was quite thin so I had the lovely feeling of some bracing bars, another place which decides to use thick duvets during summer, but it was a reasonable night once the temperature dropped, not that much noise and each bed had it's own light & twin plug sockets, with some storage space to put bags.

Would I use again? Probably would depending on price, Birmingham city centre isn't the cheapest of places at weekends, especially if you want somewhere close to the stations, and is probably a better place in terms of noise than the Backpackers.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I am going to bash some lines centred in Norwich for my Summer break. Any recommendations no further than the area between Wymondham and Acle for a b&b or campsite with decent shower facilities?

Thanks.
The station house B&B at Lingwood, me and my family stayed at a couple of years ago was excellent.
Sam

gord

Not sure it's been mentioned but we stayed in the Corrour signal box last week. It's an amazing place. Really comfortable and the breakfast is fantastic. We sat on the platform until midnight watching the sunset and the stags roaming about. Just magical. Woke up early enough to wave at the northbound sleeper before breakfast then catching our train around half 11 for Mallaig.

Corrour is simply incredible.

We then stayed in the West Highland Hotel in Mallaig. It was alright, maybe a bit rough around the edges. The room was incredibly hot but the nice receptionist found us a fan. The staff meant well but service was patchy, particuarly at dinner. Beautiful food when it did come though. Breakfast was alright. Maybe we had been spoilt in Corrour the night before. We came home on the sleeper and really appreciated the air-con in the cabins after the hotel!