• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

LeylandLen

What are the noise levels like?

Any noise never really bothered me.Only stayed midweek so not sure about weekends.Windows double glazed , not able to be openend.
Some times could hear gentle rumble of trains , obviously depending on what room you had. Being located on a busy road always traffic noise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

03_179

Established Member
Vienna, Austria.

If you are heading to Vienna in Austria and need a good Pension then I can recommend the Kraml. It's quite close to Wien Westbahnhof (about a 10 minute walk) is about a 3 minute walk from the U-Bhan station "ZIEGLERGASSE" on the line U3.

There are buses on Grumpendorfer Strasse at the end of the street and from memory they can take you out to what used to be Sudbahnhof (now demolished) but it is the same area for the new Hauptbahnhof so maybe the buses go there instead now.

It is off the main Mariahilferstrasse and is in a back street and therefore lovely and quiet. It is a family run place and is very friendly. I have stayed there in 1992, 1996, 2001, 2002 and 2006.

Map Link: HERE

Hope this helps someone

robbeech

Established Member
The Royal Ashton Hotel, Taunton.

Lovely place a few minutes walk from the station, was under £50 and seemed to be one of the cheaper places in the area although I did book fairly late. Quality doesn’t reflect the price, a nice comfy bed, a good shower, my room had a kitchenette with a fridge, hob and microwave and a few extra complimentary snacks are provided. Really friendly staff. Lots of local services nearby, ideal for someone breaking a journey to the South West.

Fan run on time : 0 seconds.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Glasgow House, Kelvinbridge, Glasgow

Located around a 5 minute walk from Kelvinbridge subway station with takeaways & a co-op near by. I had a small room with shared bathroom (one you get given a key to, to unlock). Friendly staff.

Only downside is being near the subway so you need to make sure you are back before the final subway runs as it is around a mile and a bit from the centre stations.

cjp

Sea View Guest House Douglas Isle of Man.
Me and Polar Bear stayed here during the recent forum trip for the Transport Festival.
The room was nice with ensuite bathroom and the breakfast was great.
Nothing was to much for the owners and the location is just of the Central Promenade and really easy to get to the Ferry Port , Electric Railway & Steam Railway.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...-Seaview_Guest_House-Douglas_Isle_of_Man.html
I do not know if it is me or trip Advisor but the link takes me to somewhere on the Isle of Wight <g>

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge, London Wembley

Located around a 10 minute walk from Stonebridge Park station on the Watford DC/Bakerloo line, served by a bus route (Ealing Broadway to Brent Cross).

Rooms were the usual Travelodge style, but there was a bit of road noise from the North Circular, even with double windows (featuring a pair of curtains which didn't quite cover the entire window!)

One I won't be rushing back to in a hurry, even if it was only £17 in the January sale.

robbeech

Established Member
Travelodge, London Wembley

Located around a 10 minute walk from Stonebridge Park station on the Watford DC/Bakerloo line, served by a bus route (Ealing Broadway to Brent Cross).

Rooms were the usual Travelodge style, but there was a bit of road noise from the North Circular, even with double windows (featuring a pair of curtains which didn't quite cover the entire window!)

One I won't be rushing back to in a hurry, even if it was only £17 in the January sale.
I haven’t stayed in that one for a few years but did find it noisy. There’s an Indian restaurant 10 minutes walk towards Hanger Lane that’s quite good though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I haven’t stayed in that one for a few years but did find it noisy. There’s an Indian restaurant 10 minutes walk towards Hanger Lane that’s quite good though.

I didn't see much of the local area as I arrived around 22:30 and departed around 06:15, it was just a cheap hotel to spend the night before the 07:30 Euston - Glasgow service.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Full Moon Backpackers, Bristol

Bristol city centre area isn't the cheapest place to spend a Saturday night and being on the Looe Brush on the Sunday morning meant my options were limited. In the end I picked this hostel which is in the Stokes Croft area of Bristol. Around a 15-20 minute walk from Temple Meads.

Basically it's a pub with rooms on top, so quite noisy on a Saturday night as they had live music downstairs but once the pub had closed up it was quite peaceful with no road noise. But £22 for a 3bed room on a Saturday night in Bristol was good value for money (as it was at least £70 for a room at the other budget hotels)

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Corner Hotel, Carnoustie

Located around a 15 minute walk from Carnoustie station (and around a 5 minute walk from Golf Street) ideal for crazy people who want to board the early morning Tayside Halts Express. It's rooms above a pub which does food, also there is a nearby Co-op.

Bit of outside noise from the road but the only negative was the shower lacked water pressure. Friendly staff.

Albatross Hostel, Newcastle

Small hostel located less than 5 minutes walk from Newcastle Central station, friendly staff and not a lot of outside noise (although that probably depends on which room you get). The plug sockets in my room were a bit of an afterthought as some were not useable due to the bed legs being in the way, plus there was a bright light in the fire exit sign.

Ideal for someone who wants a bed for the night with an early start the following day

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The Fairhaven, Beeston

Thoroughly recommend - straightforward but clean accommodation and free WiFi that actually works without you having to muck about with passwords...

Trainfan344

Established Member
Any recommendations on cheap (£50 or less) accommodation in or near Kidderminster? Need to find something for the Saturday night of the diesel gala at the Severn Valley.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Any recommendations on cheap (£50 or less) accommodation in or near Kidderminster? Need to find something for the Saturday night of the diesel gala at the Severn Valley.

Most likely all the reasonable priced/decent hotels in that area would have either been snapped up by other gala goers or hiked in priced due to the event :(

LeylandLen

I assume you mean Sat May 18th ? Travelodge at Bromsgrove (about 10 miles Kidderminster by road ) has some saver rooms starting £42.
Other ones in Birmingham area, some under £50 .

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone venturing to the Cardiff Area I can highly recommend a new concept.....

Zip by Premier Inn the first of probably many in the UK.

Rooms are a bit like a ships cabin , small but functional. Bed, Ensuite and TV.

From £15 per night.

One drawback lacking the usual tea making facilities in the room but there is a Costa Coffee and Vending machines by reception.

Within walking distance is a Morrisons, Mcdonalds and a whole retail park.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Anyone venturing to the Cardiff Area I can highly recommend a new concept.....

Zip by Premier Inn the first of probably many in the UK.

Rooms are a bit like a ships cabin , small but functional. Bed, Ensuite and TV.

From £15 per night.

One drawback lacking the usual tea making facilities in the room but there is a Costa Coffee and Vending machines by reception.

Within walking distance is a Morrisons, Mcdonalds and a whole retail park.

Isn't that one a good couple miles or so from the city centre stations?

Butts

Veteran Member
Isn't that one a good couple miles or so from the city centre stations?

True, but there is a regular Bus Service from the end of the road.

Included it as a totally new format which will probably spread across the Country and hopefully nearer a train station !!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm not familiar with PI's Zip, certainly worth investigating...

I have multiple acccommodation reviews to share, both here and on TripAdvisor, but I am due to post them tomorrow!

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm not familiar with PI's Zip, certainly worth investigating...

I have multiple acccommodation reviews to share, both here and on TripAdvisor, but I am due to post them tomorrow!

It's the first Zip in the UK - or anywhere, a completely new offering from Premier Inn

Gathursty

Established Member
OYO Clydesdale Hotel, Hamilton

It is close to Hamilton West station and the M74. It is on a quiet road opposite the imposing North Lanarkshire Council office tower. The hotel is clean and offers a continental (cold) breakfast included. I paid £40 per night at very late notice. Other users of this hotel seem to be tradesmen. I found it to be a particularly good base for onward travel.

matacaster

On Moderation
Travelodge tolworth.
Although very close to station and a tall building, impossible to recognise from train station, no directions frontagea bit of a mess, boxes in reception general air of steady decline. Took bags and left unsecured behind counter, with no tags to indicate who they belonged to.
Room not too bad, at least had a fan present. Very thin & cheap toilet roll. Breakfast decent value, but mushrooms looked to have been recycled and scrambled eggs grim - bacon was good.
A very short walk in opposite direction from station yielded a new and very attractive looking premier Inn which seemed to have everything the Travelodge didn't have - when we go again this will definitely be the destination of choice

mark_47769

Premier Inn Tolworth
I stayed here last September (2018) but have only just found this thread. It is situated close to Tolworth station about a minutes walk, very easy to find. I booked this area as the price was good and in travelcard zone 5 plus I needed the Chessington branch. Usual Premier Inn spec, room was good with very little outside noise. Staff very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. Breakfast was to PI's usual standard so pretty good IMO. I would stay here again.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Pub Love, Exmouth Arms, Euston

I needed a hostel for last night due to potentially a late arrival from Crewe, and this is less than 5 minutes walk from the side entrance to platforms 16-18. Friendly staff and the building inside is quite nice, the rooms are located above a pub. However the room I was assigned had no curtains nor window blinds [made use of an extra-thick duvet as a make-shift curtain to block out some of the outside light]. Not really enough plug sockets for the beds [5 bunk beds, 4 sockets which could easily be hidden by bags], and not really enough toilets.

Noise levels, once the pub had closed it was reasonable (hardly any road noise), until the builders arrived to continue with HS2 related building works next door. It has potential, but it is lacking, the killer downfall was no curtains

(* I'm probably been spoiled by those hostels where each bunk has it's own socket/USB point]

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pub Love, that name sounds familiar. I think I might have stayed in one of their locations in the Greenwich area. Either that or I've seen it pop up on accommodation searches before. Doesn't sound like a bad place all in to be fair, the one we've both used just past Kings Cross is my one of choice these days.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Pub Love, that name sounds familiar. I think I might have stayed in one of their locations in the Greenwich area. Either that or I've seen it pop up on accommodation searches before. Doesn't sound like a bad place all in to be fair, the one we've both used just past Kings Cross is my one of choice these days.

I think it's a brand name as when I search for London there is normally a few places with the same name in different places.

Trainfan344

Established Member
North Stafford Hotel

Stayed here in May, The room was very small and the view across the balcony wasn't very good, Price was £50 for a night but the location was worth the money and BOD Stoke across the road was a lovely place to sit and enjoy a beer. Would stay here again if needs be.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
North Stafford Hotel

Stayed here in May, The room was very small and the view across the balcony wasn't very good, Price was £50 for a night but the location was worth the money and BOD Stoke across the road was a lovely place to sit and enjoy a beer. Would stay here again if needs be.

I've been there; in fact I posted my own thoughts on this thread on page 22, reply #633...

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...stions-and-reviews.55619/page-22#post-2469613

Kite159

Veteran Member
Fort Williams Backpackers

Located around a 7 minute walk from the station, up a steep hill. A hostel with a friendly owner, good views from the windows and there is a good lounge area with sofas. Unusually the beds had two pillows and the room I was in the beds were built into the wall.

I would recommend if you need cheap accommodation in Fort William.

Gathursty

Established Member
Barbican's Reach, Plymouth

For £60 A night plus £5 24 hour car parking permit, it's very reasonable at short notice. You are close to the Barbican and Mayflower Steps and some very good eateries.

The b&b was clean, functional, had a delicious hot breakfast 'raft' available as well as traditional and cold options. Sleep wasn't obstructed. The shower is in the room but the toilet is across the hallway. Both were clean. The station is 25 mins walk away.

St Anne's Road Guest House, Exeter

The guest house is a 10 minute walk from Polsloe Bridge or 15 minutes from St James Park stations. Parking is okay at the weekend but could be bad midweek.

The bedroom contained an ensuite but the breakfast option was solely cold options. I wasn't that fussed but others may be. I did pay £45 over the phone a day in advance which was quite good value compared to other options I saw.

I will review sleeping at Coombe Junction Halt and Exton station if there is demand :)