• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accused of Fare evasion help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks for your support I’m going through phases of fighting then just doing what needs to be done. Every minute I’m thinking about it and feeling like a big girls blouse.
actually seems strange to me that you were not issued with paperwork by that member of staff. Other on here may know the procedure, but I thought you were supposed to be given some sort of no value ticket to allow you to complete your trip, whilst the thing considered erroneous is taken for evidence. But I must confess to not being sure of this.

But like I said, try not to worry about it for now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sneffle

actually seems strange to me that you were not issued with paperwork by that member of staff. Other on here may know the procedure, but I thought you were supposed to be given some sort of no value ticket to allow you to complete your trip, whilst the thing considered erroneous is taken for evidence. But I must confess to not being sure of this.

But like I said, try not to worry about it for now.
Sorry for the confusion you’re right I did obtain a printed ticket to complete the journey. I was referring to a few posts I’ve read where the individual has had to sign something and paperwork given to them. Apologies for the confusion but I’m all over the place.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Sorry for the confusion you’re right I did obtain a printed ticket to complete the journey. I was referring to a few posts I’ve read where the individual has had to sign something and paperwork given to them. Apologies for the confusion but I’m all over the place.
Aha - that helps to know. If you retained it at the end of your journey keep hold of it - if for no other reason any codes on it would identify the staff member who issued it - tho that would be recorded with the details of the time and date traveled, which you had already posted.

Sneffle

Just thought I’d post an update. Received the standard letter a few weeks ago. Sent this back filled in and today received an out of court settlement for 90.00 plus fare. Job done now. Thanks for all your advice.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Are you able to describe how the ticket looked altered in more detail? Did you use multiple pens?

If it is how you describe, then I don't see how they can take it to court as they can't prove it was maliciously altered

Sneffle

Are you able to describe how the ticket looked altered in more detail? Did you use multiple pens?

If it is how you describe, then I don't see how they can take it to court as they can't prove it was maliciously altered
Conductor advised that the date had been altered I didn’t agree at all what happened is that I used a ball point pen that just didn’t work first time so went over the number to make it look visible.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Just thought I’d post an update. Received the standard letter a few weeks ago. Sent this back filled in and today received an out of court settlement for 90.00 plus fare. Job done now. Thanks for all your advice.

Thanks for letting us all know the outcome. Glad you've got it all sorted and it's over with.

Sneffle

Thanks for letting us all know the outcome. Glad you've got it all sorted and it's over with.
Yes thankfully and I didn’t have to go into explaining things by letter just completed name address etc.... anyway many thanks again. Feel free to lock this thread up if you wish.

MotCO

Established Member
Paying the out of Court settlement was probably a wise thing to give you peace of mind and draw a line under it all. However, if you feel unfairly treated, you may wish to consider raising a complaint, and others on this forum can advise.

Sneffle

Paying the out of Court settlement was probably a wise thing to give you peace of mind and draw a line under it all. However, if you feel unfairly treated, you may wish to consider raising a complaint, and others on this forum can advise.
It’s done now but glad it is it’s just been added pressure with working through this.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks
It’s done now but glad it is it’s just been added pressure with working through this.
Thanks for update - it does seem u have been unfairly treated but hope you are OK to some degree with sit'n. Good luck to you.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Goodness, what an appalling situation for you to have been stuck in. I'm so sorry.

I would encourage you to write to your MP pointing out that the situation is deeply unfair. If you did nothing wrong but you were put under pressure by the company to pay almost £100, and from your account it sounds like you did, this is exactly the kind of thing they need to know about.

Did the letter from the company threaten to have you prosecuted, or accuse you of committing a crime?

Sneffle

Goodness, what an appalling situation for you to have been stuck in. I'm so sorry.

I would encourage you to write to your MP pointing out that the situation is deeply unfair. If you did nothing wrong but you were put under pressure by the company to pay almost £100, and from your account it sounds like you did, this is exactly the kind of thing they need to know about.

Did the letter from the company threaten to have you prosecuted, or accuse you of committing a crime?
I got the standard letter and just completed it without adding any mitigation at all. This was due to me working as a key worker I just didn’t have time. It was accusing me under railways act probably the accusation of an altered ticket. I’ve now sent all papers and my account to a friend who’s a barrister so he’s going to help me with this and thankfully for nothing. I’ll update you

Starmill

Veteran Member
I got the standard letter and just completed it without adding any mitigation at all. This was due to me working as a key worker I just didn’t have time. It was accusing me under railways act probably the accusation of an altered ticket. I’ve now sent all papers and my account to a friend who’s a barrister so he’s going to help me with this and thankfully for nothing. I’ll update you
Thank you for providing an update and all the best to you in your complaint.

Sneffle

Just a quick update managed to get all my money back and a bit more for wrongful accusation. If it wasn’t for my friend who is quite high up in a law firm I would just have left it. He’s been brilliant and just tore them apart. I even got a grovelling letter of apology. Job done. Stay safe guys

furlong

Established Member
Well done. Please look at this thread about a possible inquiry into the way private companies make use of private prosecutions and consider letting your MP know about what happened (after discussing that with your friend).

Sneffle

Well done. Please look at this thread about a possible inquiry into the way private companies make use of private prosecutions and consider letting your MP know about what happened (after discussing that with your friend).
Thanks for this, i was going to let it all go and just pay up as I was busy working. However spoke to my friend who I’ve known for 20 plus years and knew he was in Law what I didn’t know is that his firm had moved into this area. He’s done all this for nothing as a partner which I’m grateful for. He’s very straight forward and said This happens all the time , scare tactics so yes he’s put something to my MP and he’s taking it from there. Thanks again for your interest. It makes you wonder how many just pay up for the peace and quiet.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Fortunately, the OP knew someone conversant with this aspect of the law.

For an individual with no such help, I'm sure most would've caved-in to the threats by XC and their agent, TiL. The law is by no means a level playing field in cases like this.

Hopefully, things will change for the better. Or will they?

MotCO

Established Member
Thanks for this, i was going to let it all go and just pay up as I was busy working. However spoke to my friend who I’ve known for 20 plus years and knew he was in Law what I didn’t know is that his firm had moved into this area.

Can we look forward to welcoming your friend to this Forum for his expertise? ;)

talldave

Established Member
It would be useful for others who may suffer a similar fate in the future to know the basis of your friend's approach in getting both the accusation rescinded and compensation awarded.

Haywain

Veteran Member
A good lawyer doesn’t need to be an expert in the matter in hand, just able to find some suitable case law and write a strongly phrased letter.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Just a quick update managed to get all my money back and a bit more for wrongful accusation. If it wasn’t for my friend who is quite high up in a law firm I would just have left it. He’s been brilliant and just tore them apart. I even got a grovelling letter of apology. Job done. Stay safe guys
well done and good result - I recalled this situation was esp stressful for you so nice to read you were able to pursue it with your friends help and secure recompense. Well done and good wishes to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.