• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ACE BR advert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Back then, London - Stevenage cheap awayday return just £3.22

This is the age of the blame
This is the age of the intter Toc blame

These days, with the inefficient privatism and mass amount of beans counters to work out who forks out for delays it costs £11

Because this is the age
of the blame

Guinness

Established Member
Nick W said:
Back then, London - Stevenage cheap awayday return just £3.22

This is the age of the intter Toc blame

These days, with the inefficient privatism and mass amount of beans counters to work out who forks out for delays it costs £11

Because this is the age
of the blame

Inflation, Price Rises and a couple of track charges increase explains the rise.......

metrocammel

Ive noticed the fares shown in the advert are different, for example Sprogs version had "NSE area" (obviously it was a made a few years before NSE) fares, such as London - Northampton, London - Brighton, whereas Coxters version had North Eastern fares, such as Durham - York, I wonder if this was dictated on which Television franchise screened it, so Thames TV would have the London fares, but Yorkshire or Tyne Tees would show the NE fares? With perhaps Granada showing North West fares?

Coxster

Established Member
metrocammel said:
Ive noticed the fares shown in the advert are different, for example Sprogs version had "NSE area" (obviously it was a made a few years before NSE) fares, such as London - Northampton, London - Brighton, whereas Coxters version had North Eastern fares, such as Durham - York, I wonder if this was dictated on which Television franchise screened it, so Thames TV would have the London fares, but Yorkshire or Tyne Tees would show the NE fares? With perhaps Granada showing North West fares?
Probably like those furniture adverts that say "Stores accross the South West" in Devon and "Stores accross the South East" in my area. I noticed this when on holiday in Devon last weekend.

eezypeazy

The Jimmy Saville ad dates from 1982, and if inflation was just a little over 3% per annum compounded, then (by my calculator) the fares today are on a par. The NCL-Darlo Awayday was £3.28; the CDR today is £7.70.

Some wags renamed the AwayDay as the "Have It Away Day" due to the propensity of some young people at the time to use them for romantic seaside dalliances... tut tut!

eezypeazy

tedted

I couldn't help noticing that the fare advertised was a "cheap awayday return". When was it renamed as a "cheap day return"?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.