• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Acton Bridge (29/12/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny9921

Hello

i were wordring if anyone knows how to split my tickets beetween harrogate-acton bridge it coast me £18:25 normall fare and i were wondring if anyone know were i can split my tickets ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Danny,

I'm looking into it now.

(£18.25 is the price for an Under 16 Off Peak return (Valid at any time) if anyone is wondering...!)

Harrogate-Manchester Stns £9.10
Manchester Stns - Acton Bridge £5.50
Total = £14.60

Not much of a saving but it may be possible to do better than that....

Edit:

If you get TPE trains that call at Stalybridge you can save a little more:

Harrogate-Stalybridge £7.65
Stalybridge-Acton Bridge £6.20
Total = £13.85

I can't find a cheaper combination than that, but maybe someone else can.

pemma

Veteran Member
I think Yorkie has found you the cheapest option.

One other thing you might want to consider is getting to Acton Bridge from Manchester isn't the simplest journey. I know some people who live in Acton Bridge and they prefer to get the train to Hartford (next stop after Acton Bridge) then walk to Greenbank station, which takes you about 15 minutes with Greenbank being on a direct line to Manchester.
If you wanted to go that way, the cheapest cost would be £15.20 as far as I can find and would involve buying the following tickets:
Harrogate-Huddersfield £5.15 return
Huddersfield-Knutsford £6.00 return
Knutsford-Greenbank £2.45 return
Hartford-Action Bridge £1.60 return

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... I know some people who live in Acton Bridge and they prefer to get the train to Hartford (next stop after Acton Bridge) then walk to Greenbank station, which takes you about 15 minutes with Greenbank being on a direct line to Manchester....

Good advice!

Surely the guards would accept a through ticket via that route on the basis that it's the shortest route? Interestingly some tickets force you to do longer walks than that. For example, a ticket from Ware (Herts) to Stevenage is only valid if you walk through Hertford (not to be confused with Hartford!) and a longer, more complex walk, than the one suggested here. Logically we should be allowed to do such walks if we wish?

Here's a map showing Greenbank station
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.251509&lon=-2.534285&z=18.1&r=0&src=msl

Just follow the main road heading south west and you'll find Hartford. Looks very easy as it's just down one road!

pemma

Veteran Member
can you change at liverpool south parkway.

or manchester to crewe, crewe to acton bridge

Well those are probably the only 2 permitted options if you don't want to walk between stations. Manchester to Crewe then back in almost the opposite direction to Acton Bridge is what my alternative (Greenbank and Hartford) was suggested instead of.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's a map showing Greenbank station
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.251509&lon=-2.534285&z=18.1&r=0&src=msl

Just follow the main road heading south west and you'll find Hartford. Looks very easy as it's just down one road!

It is just going down one road. (I've done it when travelling between Crewe and the Mid-Cheshire line but in those cases it's cheaper to buy separate tickets than a through one priced via Stockport.)

There's a sign on the Chester bound platform of Greenbank pointing you in the direction of Hartford station and one near the ticket office at Hartford pointing you in the direction of Greenbank station. Once you're on the main road you just keep walking along it until you see the other station.

robert2000

I remember Chester to Birchwood, I had to walk through Warrington town centre in the rain.:lol:

But apparently I can go via Liverpool, I only realised that after I got on the train to Warrington.

Status
Not open for further replies.