• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Acton Bridge to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
i notice that the train service at Acton Bridge (yep the tiny village in rural Cheshire) is about to get it’s train service doubled from May. Not only will around 15 trains a day stop there in each direction, but there will be 7 through trains on Mondays to Saturdays to and from London!

Whilst it may take over 3.5 hours to London, it may prove popular, along with stops at Hartford and Winsford for travelling to London if the fares are significantly cheaper than Virgin!

A Sunday service will also be provided, does anyone know if:

A) Acton Bridge has ever had a Sunday service before
B) Acton Bridge has ever had through trains to London before, and if so, how many per day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frodshamfella

Established Member
I use Acton Bridge quite often ,there are some huge gaps in service during the day, and in particular Saturday evenings to / from Liverpool. One big problem at the station is the size of the
car park which desperately needs more space ( which is available ) but no one has done anything about it. A ticket machine would be nice too !

I have to say I do also travel to London from Acton Bridge, i compare price and options with departing from Runcorn.

Last edited:

frodshamfella

Established Member
i notice that the train service at Acton Bridge (yep the tiny village in rural Cheshire) is about to get it’s train service doubled from May. Not only will around 15 trains a day stop there in each direction, but there will be 7 through trains on Mondays to Saturdays to and from London!

Whilst it may take over 3.5 hours to London, it may prove popular, along with stops at Hartford and Winsford for travelling to London if the fares are significantly cheaper than Virgin!

B) Acton Bridge has ever had through trains to London before, and if so, how many per day?

I can't say for sure but I would have thought there would have been a Sunday service at one time, it would be useful.

pt_mad

Established Member

Quite agree. Presumably the prices will be quite reasonable as is the case from many stations served by them. Wonder whether there will be much publicity around a regular London service for the first time? As pointed out elsewhere, it appears Walsall, Smethwick, Penkridge and Cannock will gain an hourly off peak London for the first time. Might be a big thing for those towns.

Camden

Established Member
You have been able to get London midland only tickets for years. They've just never been promoted, nor made available at ticket machines. They've been a secret basically.

Arguably, every person in the Liverpool area who has bought a train ticket to London in the past 10 years and not been offered a £30 to 40-odd off peak return or travelcard ought to be due a refund!

frodshamfella

Established Member
Quite agree. Presumably the prices will be quite reasonable as is the case from many stations served by them. Wonder whether there will be much publicity around a regular London service for the first time? As pointed out elsewhere, it appears Walsall, Smethwick, Penkridge and Cannock will gain an hourly off peak London for the first time. Might be a big thing for those towns.

So is London Midland beginning a Liverpool to London direct service? I didn't know this if they are.

Kite159

Veteran Member
So is London Midland beginning a Liverpool to London direct service? I didn't know this if they are.

Going via Birmingham so most passengers holding "West Midland Railway Only" tickets will still probably change at Crewe or Stafford for the faster Trent Valley service

Long way on a 350/2

Status
Not open for further replies.