• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Acton Grange Junction on WCML being upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylandLen

Works about to start on this junction ; Network Rail saying £27m being invested.
Obviously no passenger trains over this part of WCML for 16 days, but it appears that occasional
freight being allowed through , including the transport of Nuclear Flasks for BNF. I assume this is because the flasks are not allowed through Manchester for obvious safety/political reasons...
Warrington Bank Quay will be a temporary bus station.
It would be interesting to follow the work being done plus any unforseen circumstances

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see journey times from Chester to Manchester Airport are maintained by running a bus directly from Runcorn East to the airport on the M56 - no slower than the train via Piccadilly.
Otherwise there don't seem to be any efforts to run helpful services (eg diverting the TfW Manchester service to Crewe, replacing the Chester-Crewe shuttle).
The new Liverpool service is there at least.
Another bus runs via Warrington (both stations) to Newton le Willows.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Only the nuclear traffic is going through, nothing else, there is a thread somewhere else about how Manchester's nuclear free zone can be enforced.

adamedwards

Is there an upgrade or simply like for like renewal in a very difficult location? I'm assuming the same layout?

Philip

On Moderation
Any particular reason why th VT services are diverted via Chat Moss/Wigan rather than via Bolton?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is this just trackwork?
Is the signalling being upgraded in any way, transferred to Manchester ROC or anything dramatic?

NI 271

Are the 20mph crossovers going to remain 20mph, then? Bit of a missed opportunity imo, it's a pain in the hoop having to dawdle along the down while a long train turns in toward Arpley.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Are the 20mph crossovers going to remain 20mph, then? Bit of a missed opportunity imo, it's a pain in the hoop having to dawdle along the down while a long train turns in toward Arpley.

Would've thought giving a freight path off the Old Lines a better run towards Weaver would've been worth something in capacity terms. No doubt there's good reasons at play for just doing the like-for-like renewal.

NI 271

Would've thought giving a freight path off the Old Lines a better run towards Weaver would've been worth something in capacity terms. No doubt there's good reasons at play for just doing the like-for-like renewal.

Aye, £££ probably. Shame though, I doubt it'll ever happen if they're not going to do it during these works.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Works about to start on this junction ; Network Rail saying £27m being invested.
Obviously no passenger trains over this part of WCML for 16 days, but it appears that occasional
freight being allowed through , including the transport of Nuclear Flasks for BNF. I assume this is because the flasks are not allowed through Manchester for obvious safety/political reasons...
Warrington Bank Quay will be a temporary bus station.
It would be interesting to follow the work being done plus any unforseen circumstances

There is plenty of discussion regarding the nuclear trains posted on the thread:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/part-of-wcml-to-be-closed-acton-grange-junction-engineering-work.182502/page-3

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Aye, £££ probably. Shame though, I doubt it'll ever happen if they're not going to do it during these works.
The Chester and Weaver tracks start diverging immediately south of the crossovers. There looks to be 100m or so between the northernmost point end and the Ship Canal bridge, but due to track spreading out for the bridge spans or for some other reason it may not be possible to use that bit for faster (and hence longer) crossovers. The lines towards Arpley diverge immediately north of the bridge so no room to put crossovers there either.

Any freight going to or from the various sidings at Arpley is going pretty slowly at Acton Grange anyway. I suspect any Down freight being overtaken would continue to Bank Quay where there is a 50mph crossover to the Down Slow and no conflict with the Up, and in the reverse direction an overtaken freight could run slow from Winwick and join the Down Fast at a 40mph crossover north of Bank Quay. The left-handed crossovers at Acton Grange between the WCML and Chester lines in both directions are cleared for 50mph.

NI 271

The Chester and Weaver tracks start diverging immediately south of the crossovers. There looks to be 100m or so between the northernmost point end and the Ship Canal bridge, but due to track spreading out for the bridge spans or for some other reason it may not be possible to use that bit for faster (and hence longer) crossovers. The lines towards Arpley diverge immediately north of the bridge so no room to put crossovers there either.

Any freight going to or from the various sidings at Arpley is going pretty slowly at Acton Grange anyway. I suspect any Down freight being overtaken would continue to Bank Quay where there is a 50mph crossover to the Down Slow and no conflict with the Up, and in the reverse direction an overtaken freight could run slow from Winwick and join the Down Fast at a 40mph crossover north of Bank Quay. The left-handed crossovers at Acton Grange between the WCML and Chester lines in both directions are cleared for 50mph.
Familiar with the layout ta, I drive trains over it frequently. This is how I know there's ample scope to have increased the 20mph crossovers to say 30mph (much above that would be pointless for the reasons you mention, but that would still be a 50% improvement). I would suspect the current restriction doesn't affect other traffic often enough for it to justify the expense of an upgrade, as one who is occasionally hindered by long trains going into the yard directly before finishing a shift, however, it'd still have been welcome.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Trains on the Down Fast heading for the Slow (P4) at Bank Quay (eg Chester-Manchester services) have a severe approach control before they get anywhere near the 50mph turnout.
Lots of fast line capacity eaten up there.

geoffk

Established Member
Am I allowed to use the diverted Virgin trains to go from Stockport to Wigan and vv? I know they are not picking up at Piccadilly northbound or setting down southbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.