• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Acton Mainline & West Ealing - Sunday services started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

I received an email from TfL this morning stating that the recent timetable change has brought (half hourly) Sunday services to Acton Mainline and West Ealing.

Previously there had been no service for these stations as they only have platforms on the relief/slow lines, while engineering work on this line typically meant only two of the four lines are available on Sundays (some weeks its the mains/fasts, others its the reliefs/slows). From this announcement I understand that routine blocking of the reliefs/slows on this stretch of line on Sundays for engineering works will have to cease (I'm sure engineering work will still be carried out on some Sundays).

Email below...

We have made several improvements to the TfL Rail timetable as part of our commitment to enhance the service on the line.

Between 09:00 and 21:00 every Sunday, TfL Rail trains will call at Acton Main Line and West Ealing every 30 minutes.

Also, the train frequency will double between 09:00 and 21:00 every Sunday, for trains calling at Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes & Harlington.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

Why are they not also stopping at Hanwell?

Really poor for a zone 4 station to have no Sunday service in 2019, especially after years of evening and weekend disruption.

Kite159

Veteran Member
From this announcement I understand that routine blocking of the reliefs/slows on this stretch of line on Sundays for engineering works will have to cease (I'm sure engineering work will still be carried out on some Sundays).

Or most likely if there is engineering works closing the relief lines, the stations won't be served with any passengers told to use TfL buses.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why are they not also stopping at Hanwell?

Really poor for a zone 4 station to have no Sunday service in 2019, especially after years of evening and weekend disruption.

Yes a Hanwell stop does seem to be a bit of an oversight.

Established Member
Yes the Sunday services are due to start Sunday 26th May (would have been yesterday however engineering works prevented this). The late start and early finishes at West Ealing and Acton Mainline are owing to the fact engineering work is still happening either side of this window. Hanwell will receive a Sunday service later, most likely alongside Iver and Taplow. This is owing to refurbishment works ongoing at Hanwell. Leaving the station closed for the time being allows considerably more work to be done, which is complex owing to the fact the station is grade listed. Rest assured there are plans to start Sunday services from Hanwell in the future.

RDWRER

Re the 15 min frequency for trains to Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes & Harlington.

I take it that is possible because it is a Sunday and there are routes through?

I take it a more frequent weekday TFL service won't be possible until the new crossrail platforms open under Paddington?

Established Member
Re the 15 min frequency for trains to Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes & Harlington.

I take it that is possible because it is a Sunday and there are routes through?

I take it a more frequent weekday TFL service won't be possible until the new crossrail platforms open under Paddington?
More frequent weekday services are most likely to ensue when the 345s start running towards Heathrow which is currently planned to be December 2019 unless there are any delays to achieving that.

This hopefully should see if all goes to plan, Acton Main Line and Hanwell going up to 4tph. Other stations will see additional TfL Rail services running to and from Reading but these will simply just be the current GWR services albeit with some alterations.

RDWRER

More frequent weekday services are most likely to ensue when the 345s start running towards Heathrow which is currently planned to be December 2019 unless there are any delays to achieving that.

This hopefully should see if all goes to plan, Acton Main Line and Hanwell going up to 4tph. Other stations will see additional TfL Rail services running to and from Reading but these will simply just be the current GWR services albeit with some alterations.

Thanks - any idea where the paths through Paddington -> Heathrow Junction are coming from to enable the increased frequency to Heathrow with the 345s? Is there some capacity there at the minute on the relief lines that isn't used?

Established Member
Thanks - any idea where the paths through Paddington -> Heathrow Junction are coming from to enable the increased frequency to Heathrow with the 345s? Is there some capacity there at the minute on the relief lines that isn't used?
The paths are just an extension of the current Hayes & Harlington terminators already used by TfL Rail. They will then run to Heathrow Central where they will 'join to' the current ITT path to Heathrow Terminal 4.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The paths are just an extension of the current Hayes & Harlington terminators already used by TfL Rail. They will then run to Heathrow Central where they will 'join to' the current ITT path to Heathrow Terminal 4.
... and presumably the relatively recently extended bay platform will revert to very occasional use only?

itfcfan

... and presumably the relatively recently extended bay platform will revert to very occasional use only?
I think that was always the intention. It's long term use will be to provide a turnback location in times of disruption.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think that was always the intention. It's long term use will be to provide a turnback location in times of disruption.
I think so too, and I also think West Drayton reversals have been overtaken by events as well, I’m sure that there were initially going to be regular terminators there. I guess with perfect hindsight it might not have happened?

Established Member
Yes, it will act as a quick turnaround in the event of disruption such as if something happens in the Slough or Heathrow area or something of the likes, it will help keep the service moving.

I think so too, and I also think West Drayton reversals have been overtaken by events as well, I’m sure that there were initially going to be regular terminators there. I guess with perfect hindsight it might not have happened?
West Drayton was indeed planned to be a regular service with at least 2tph terminating there all day. However, when the T5 extension to the Elizabeth line was announced, it was decided to reroute the West Drayton terminators there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.