• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional EMU to DEMU conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

James_D

With the provisionally successful conversion of ex-LU D-Stock EMU's to Class 230 DEMU's by Vivarail, it got me thinking if there were any more Classes where this type of conversion would be possible? Perhaps on Classes 315, 365 or 455?

I know the 455's have some space underneath the body of the trailer car for a genset but not sure about the driving vehicles without major modifications and shifting the existing ancillary equipment around?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James_D

The 230s' success has yet to be determined. Anything is possible, but these appear to be extremely improbable.
By success, i mean that they've actually fitted a genset to the thing within gauge and got the thing running to reasonable speeds. I think we can all agree it's mechanically viable, whether it's commercially viable is another matter.

CosherB

Established Member
With the provisionally successful conversion of ex-LU D-Stock EMU's to Class 230 DEMU's by Vivarail, it got me thinking if there were any more Classes where this type of conversion would be possible? Perhaps on Classes 315, 365 or 455?

I know the 455's have some space underneath the body of the trailer car for a genset but not sure about the driving vehicles without major modifications and shifting the existing ancillary equipment around?

Simple answer - no.

Harbornite

Established Member

Possibly, but I can't think of any instances where it would be worth the cost.

James_D

Possibly, but I can't think of any instances where it would be worth the cost.
Fair point, but if if manufacturers books are full up, or there's no money for new stock anyway and yet services/capacity need increasing then it may be a case of needs must. Who's to say that all of the 230's will cover the DMU shortage between now and the newly built CAF stock etc coming into service?

If Vivarail get an order for all seventy five of the 230's then the company wont just fold will it? They will have a good deal of experience converting lightweight EMU's into DEMU's, so it makes sense that they will look for another class set coming off lease/into retirement that may suit a conversion if the bodyshells/bogies/traction motors are in good nick, surely?

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If Vivarail get an order for all seventy five of the 230's then the company wont just fold will it? They will have a good deal of experience converting lightweight EMU's into DEMU's, so it makes sense that they will look for another class set coming off lease/into retirement that may suit a conversion if the bodyshells/bogies/traction motors are in good nick, surely?

This sequence of events is possible but as far as I can see (from this forum, not from any inside information!) they are struggling to find a home for 230s at present. With the CAF order and all electrification schemes still going ahead but just a few years late, there probably isn't much further need for DMUs in the next decade.

MrB

I'm not sure the 230 is a success, maybe technically but not commercially as it hasn't had any orders yet.

Harbornite

Established Member

I felt like mentioning them too, I'm surprised that the first reply didn't suggest 442's! Perhaps they'd be better as loco hauled stock for the new Brighton to Glasgow crosscountry services via the Settle and Carlisle line.

Established Member
With the CAF order and all electrification schemes still going ahead but just a few years late, there probably isn't much further need for DMUs in the next decade.

I agree entirely. At the moment, with existing orders and the number of units due to become available to other operators as a result of electrification (or being replaced by brand new larger trains), I don't think there's any need for more DMUs any time soon. I think could possibly be another DMU order (for Northern and Wales) at some point in the 2020s to replace the 150s, but I think that would depend on whether any future electrification schemes release a sufficient number of diesel powered units to avoid the need to place an order for new stock.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The irony being some of the 455 vehicles have already been converted from DEMU vehicles! (Class 210)

Always a possibility a 455 could be used on retirement to recreate a 210. Where theres a will and all that....

Master29

Established Member
I felt like mentioning them too, I'm surprised that the first reply didn't suggest 442's! Perhaps they'd be better as loco hauled stock for the new Brighton to Glasgow crosscountry services via the Settle and Carlisle line.

I`ve seen nothing mentioned about the re introduction of the old Sussex Scot route albeit to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You weren't watching closely enough. No pedals in Flintstones vehicles, they were powered by Direct Action Bare Feet (which also provide the braking)!

In the new Halifax advert that I saw last night, Fred uses his signing on bonus to buy a decent set of trainers...

(Might not be showing nationally...)

Tracked

Established Member
You weren't watching closely enough. No pedals in Flintstones vehicles, they were powered by Direct Action Bare Feet (which also provide the braking)!

I was suggesting either pedals, or the DABF system ...

Obviously big holes in the floor might be a little bit of a health and safety problem.

Camden

Established Member
Retrofitting ford transit engines into a proper train (no disrespect intended A, C, and D stocks) would be interesting, but I doubt it would yield the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.