• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional Hull Trains Saturday Service -August Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Interestingly it's 26 minutes faster than the Monday to Friday equivalent and does not call at Retford.

Senex

Established Member
Perhaps they could get the GN commuter service to run their Saturday timetable every day of the week to free up some ECML paths... :D
There's the argument for more capacity in a nutshell. What is a trunk-line principally for? Is it to meet the connectivity needs of the whole nation, or is it to serve short-distance commuters? ECML, WCML, and GWML suffer from trying to do both with inadequate capacity. Solution for the two routes to the north (and helping MML too) is HS2, to give the additional long-distance capacity and also free up space for the London commuters (not that I personally like HS2 as it's planned at present). An alternative might of course be to price fast-line paths so as to price the commuter service off the fast lines.

Erniescooper

The extra Saturday service means all 4 units have to be available Friday so the 15:13 Hull to Kings Cross and 18:50 return are booked for 10 car on Friday .The losers are Old Oak Common who get a day less to carry out the exam that would normally start Friday morning.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The extra Saturday service means all 4 units have to be available Friday so the 15:13 Hull to Kings Cross and 18:50 return are booked for 10 car on Friday .The losers are Old Oak Common who get a day less to carry out the exam that would normally start Friday morning.

Thanks! I was wondering how the units were being balanced up.

This morning's service arrived at King's Cross at 0848 ( http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N14000/2016/07/30/advanced) with the run from Grantham to King's Cross (105m 29ch) completed in 61 minutes making an average speed of 103.6mph.

Mark62

What a pity HT weren't so accommodating for the recent football play off match at Wembly between Hull and Sheffield Wednesday. It seems that they absolutely refused to run a late train Back after the the match (5pm kick off) so fans could get home on the train. They would have filled the train easily but it sound like they just couldn't be bothered. They are funded by the taxpayer and yet have absolutely no accountability to them.

47513 Severn

What a pity HT weren't so accommodating for the recent football play off match at Wembly between Hull and Sheffield Wednesday. It seems that they absolutely refused to run a late train Back after the the match (5pm kick off) so fans could get home on the train. They would have filled the train easily but it sound like they just couldn't be bothered. They are funded by the taxpayer and yet have absolutely no accountability to them.
As an open access operator I'm pretty sure HT get absolutely no support from the taxpayer. In fact, as they pay track access charges to Network Rail, it could be argued that they actually pay into the publicly owned element of the railway.

As for running the extra train, perhaps there wasn't stock or crew available. Perhaps they would have had to hire something in and pay overtime. Would a full train cover those costs?

Or perhaps they just didn't want to run a train full of disappointed or celebrating (I'm not sure which would be worse) football fans with all the potential problems that entails. I doubt I would be bothered either...

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie!!!
Out, Out, Out!!!

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

This was entirely down to the lack of paths being made available by Network Rail due to engineering works. In the end NR made a path available which HT used.

Status
Not open for further replies.