• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional retailers to reopen from June 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidster

Over the last couple of days it has been confirmed that "Non-Essential" retail will be permitted to open by June 15th (with the first easement for places like Car Showrooms next week) and various chains, including places like John Lewis, Halfords and Greggs, have been outlining plans since then.

Obviously they will be subject to the kinds of measures that we have become accustomed so in supermarkets over the past few weeks - so lots of queuing, one way systems and protective screens.

I am interested in what people think the impact will be. While it is certainly a step in the right direction I find it hard to see it doing all that much to reverse the economic impact that is being felt.

For sure you will see very long lines for a short period of time as some of that pent up demand is released and people are able to get things they haven't been able to source elsewhere and for others the lure of a "steak bake" will be overwhelming.

But I do wonder about the longevity of that effect. Aside from the issue that lots of people are still scared witless by the virus and are reluctant to leave their homes. Many others are either working at home or have suffered economically. How do you coax people into doing something that it meant to be in some respect enjoyable or uplifting when all the "fun" elements are removed and it just becomes a day of standing in lines and being scowled at should you inadvertently pass within 2m for a moment.

Sadly I see nothing more than the continued steady decline of the High Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I hate shopping and avoid it anyway, and do not weep for the loss of chain stores. We can create jobs elsewhere if we need to.

Long term I see the future of city centres as residential and entertainment, and maybe some small, independent shops.

AM9

Veteran Member
Over the last couple of days it has been confirmed that "Non-Essential" retail will be permitted to open by June 15th (with the first easement for places like Car Showrooms next week) and various chains, including places like John Lewis, Halfords and Greggs, have been outlining plans since then.

Obviously they will be subject to the kinds of measures that we have become accustomed so in supermarkets over the past few weeks - so lots of queuing, one way systems and protective screens.

I am interested in what people think the impact will be. While it is certainly a step in the right direction I find it hard to see it doing all that much to reverse the economic impact that is being felt. ...

For sure, the relaxation of the rules is just a tool to reduce government costs with the 'essential activites' only.

... For sure you will see very long lines for a short period of time as some of that pent up demand is released and people are able to get things they haven't been able to source elsewhere and for others the lure of a "steak bake" will be overwhelming.

But I do wonder about the longevity of that effect. Aside from the issue that lots of people are still scared witless by the virus and are reluctant to leave their homes. Many others are either working at home or have suffered economically. How do you coax people into doing something that it meant to be in some respect enjoyable or uplifting when all the "fun" elements are removed and it just becomes a day of standing in lines and being scowled at should you inadvertently pass within 2m for a moment. ...

It's been discussed many times elsewhere on RUK COVID-19 threads that "lots of people are still scared witless by the virus and are reluctant to leave their homes" just isn't true. The fact is that the majority of the population are respecting the rather obvious requests that in order to reduce the spread of the disease, unnecessary interaction with people outside one's own group is a key strategy. Given that the government committed a large amount of public funds to ensure that these rules can be adhered to, the majority of the public have done their bit to protect others.
The problem that will arise when more general shopping is allowed is that unlike essential shopping which the majority of people just do as quickly as possible, non-essential shopping is regarded as a leisure activity, so it will involve a degree of non-essential browsing and social interaction which will rapidly increase in shop time and consequently cause crowding in busy shopping areas.

... Sadly I see nothing more than the continued steady decline of the High Street.
I would imagine that a graph of 'high street' shopping decline would continue the steady fall, picking up next month where it would have been had none of the COVID-19 issue ever hasppened. So it's best to just get used to the idea that it will not suddenly go back to the situation it was in last year let alone 20 or more years ago.

Tomp94

If non essentials are opening, does this mean we can use the train to get to non essential shops to do non essential shopping, or are trains still only going to be for key workers / don’t use unless you Absolutely have to

If non essentials are opening, does this mean we can use the train to get to non essential shops to do non essential shopping, or are trains still only going to be for key workers / don’t use unless you Absolutely have to
I'd be interested to know if we'd be allowed to use the bus for this purpose too, although I suppose this would more depend on the policy of each individual bus company?

Tomp94

I'd be interested to know if we'd be allowed to use the bus for this purpose too, although I suppose this would more depend on the policy of each individual bus company?
The busses in my town (Stagecoach/Worthing) all have essential travel only across the destination ticker. i have seen several people use busses (and trains, getting on at durrington on sea with their dogs!) who are not making essential travel.

getting back on topic, the high street here is full of cafes and restaurants, most shut, and will seemingly remain shut for several months yet! It’s so sad!

MikeWM

Established Member
I can see three major problems, none of which bode well for the high street.

1. Habit. A lot of purchases (coffees, sandwiches, magazines, etc.) were a habit. Now the habit has been broken, many may not go back, especially as many people will also be watching their money very carefully, at least for for a while.

2. Fear. The government has succeeded in scaring witless a good proportion of the population, which will be very tough to undo, at least in the short term.

3. 'Faff'. I suspect many people who aren't in category #2 will instead be extremely irritated by the measures that are being imposed on shops to 'allow' them to open again. It is one thing to have to put up with them when doing something essential like going to the supermarket, but another again when doing something discretionary.

For my part, I'm firmly in #3. I will refuse to shop anywhere that requires me to wear a mask (if anywhere decides to go down that route) and anywhere that has overly silly, overly-enforced (anti-)social distancing policies. I won't go anywhere that I have to queue to enter unless I really need to get something from that specific shop. I will also refuse to support any shop that doesn't accept cash, at least for small purchases (say < £10).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I can see three major problems, none of which bode well for the high street.

1. Habit. A lot of purchases (coffees, sandwiches, magazines, etc.) were a habit. Now the habit has been broken, many may not go back, especially as many people will also be watching their money very carefully, at least for for a while.

2. Fear. The government has succeeded in scaring witless a good proportion of the population, which will be very tough to undo, at least in the short term.

3. 'Faff'. I suspect many people who aren't in category #2 will instead be extremely irritated by the measures that are being imposed on shops to 'allow' them to open again. It is one thing to have to put up with them when doing something essential like going to the supermarket, but another again when doing something discretionary.

For my part, I'm firmly in #3. I will refuse to shop anywhere that requires me to wear a mask (if anywhere decides to go down that route) and anywhere that has overly silly, overly-enforced (anti-)social distancing policies. I won't go anywhere that I have to queue to enter unless I really need to get something from that specific shop. I will also refuse to support any shop that doesn't accept cash, at least for small purchases (say < £10).

I can see what you are getting at with the "Faff" section.

I went to the local Vauxhall garage yesterday and it wasn't the measures put in place that annoyed me it was the poor way they were controlled by the staff who succeeded in getting my back up with their delivery.

It's important stuff but some folk don't have the ability to run these processes and I can imagine it turning into a farce when put under strain of numbers - I was the only person in the garage!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In terms of the faff factor, it's probably one of those things that the shops will get better at with time. Much like with the supermarkets.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Sadly I see nothing more than the continued steady decline of the High Street.

Funny but the small independent traders around here are saying the exact opposite, and have seen a rapid growth in their trade of the last weeks, even with the large reduction in fuel costs, and are saying that customers are saying that they will be back.

MikeWM

Established Member
In terms of the faff factor, it's probably one of those things that the shops will get better at with time. Much like with the supermarkets.

I agree - and it will be the same with pubs/restaurants/cinemas etc. once they reopen.

But if people stay away until the 'faff' improves, as I expect to for the most part, then the businesses may not survive long enough to get to that stage...

thejuggler

During lockdown I have not stopped at supermarkets when I have seen a queue and that is essential shopping There is so no way I will queue to browse!

TheEdge

Established Member

Please go to America so the civilised world can deal with this disease properly.

Requirements to wear a mask are not a faff. Social distancing requirements are not silly. Queuing to get into capacity limited venues or facilities is not silly. This is the kind of madcap belief that has led America down the path its heading and luckily has kept itself mostly there. Or is it a case of "I'll be alright" because its still just a cold?

Belperpete

Established Member
I think you may be right for things like the coffee shops. For things like sandwich shops, I suspect the pressures of everyday life will mean people will slip back into using them - so much less faff to just buy a sandwich than have to make one at home, making sure you have the ingredients in stock, etc. when you have a busy life.

Likewise I suspect that a lot of those with good intentions to keep using their local shops will quickly slip back into their old ways when things return to normal.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Please go to America so the civilised world can deal with this disease properly.

Requirements to wear a mask are not a faff. Social distancing requirements are not silly. Queuing to get into capacity limited venues or facilities is not silly. This is the kind of madcap belief that has led America down the path its heading and luckily has kept itself mostly there. Or is it a case of "I'll be alright" because its still just a cold?

You are of course entitled to your opinion but I think the measures you mention (masks, queuing, social distancing) are employed to give the impression of safety rather than having any actual effect.

As new infections continue to fall rapidly.it's really time for us all to come out of the "fear everything and everyone" mindset and get back to our normal lives.

Belperpete

Established Member
During lockdown I have not stopped at supermarkets when I have seen a queue and that is essential shopping There is so no way I will queue to browse!
I think that in small shops, where only one or two people at a time are allowed in, someone who spends ages browsing and then leaves buying very little or even nothing, is going to make themselves very unpopular with those waiting to get in, and with the shopkeeper. Browsing could be seen as antisocial.

MikeWM

Established Member
I think you may be right for things like the coffee shops. For things like sandwich shops, I suspect the pressures of everyday life will mean people will slip back into using them - so much less faff to just buy a sandwich than have to make one at home, making sure you have the ingredients in stock, etc. when you have a busy life.

Likewise I suspect that a lot of those with good intentions to keep using their local shops will quickly slip back into their old ways when things return to normal.

I agree, but those shops will have to survive the intervening period until things return to normal. I fear many, maybe even a majority of them, will not.

johntea

Established Member
Meadowhell...err hall plans have been leaked, fairly obvious stuff apart from the fact that the food outlets will be open but the seating area will be closed! So you’ll have to munch on your McDonalds whilst queuing up to get in a shop...

Previously an ‘out of town’ shopping centre would be a catch up with some friends, do a bit of shopping and have a coffee type of day out, now it’ll just be queuing up to get in shops - not quite as attractive!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Meadowhell...err hall plans have been leaked, fairly obvious stuff apart from the fact that the food outlets will be open but the seating area will be closed! So you’ll have to munch on your McDonalds whilst queuing up to get in a shop...

Previously an ‘out of town’ shopping centre would be a catch up with some friends, do a bit of shopping and have a coffee type of day out, now it’ll just be queuing up to get in shops - not quite as attractive!

Agreed, I'd rather spend the afternoon locked in a filing cabinet than visit Meadowhall but my partner finds it a good place to have a day out with an old friend. Generally they get there early, go for a coffee, then spend a couple of hours browsing the clothes shops and trying things on, then they'll have a meal in the food hall. If what you're saying is true, they won't be able to do most of the things they go to Meadowhall for, so I can't really see the point!

philosopher

Established Member
For a lot of shops with social distancing measures, I do wonder whether it will actually be economic for them to open. I can see this being a particular problem for stores that at the more budget end of the market which rely a lot of people making many cheap purchases rather than a few people buying one or two expensive items.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My view is that the practicality of social distancing is in inverse proportion to the number of people out and about. If you open more shops the more people will go out to them and the more people that go out to them the less practical social distancing will become so much so that it will break down eventually, probably sooner rather than later.

BJames

Established Member

See this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/will-you-follow-the-advice-on-face-coverings.204274/
The vote at the top of the thread indicates a fair amount of people will not be wearing a face mask (of which I am a part of). Send all them to America too?

But I'll leave that for now. On the other points,
  • A lot of the social disatncing requirements are arguably over the top (https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...who-guidance-is-1m.204256/page-8#post-4594788) - causing increased difficulty for places to reopen... while I accept this point is still under debate, it can't be denied that the distance this country has gone with is a lot higher than other countries. I'm not sure your response is the point @MikeWM was making anyway. To be honest, a lot of shops are just whacking stickers on the ground and massive perspex screens at the checkout (e.g. my local Sainsbury's) that actually traps people in a smaller, confined space. No distancing possible here. The simple fact of life is that you can't do everything without touching things.
  • The "I'll be alright" because its still just a cold has been gone into many, many times before - for the vast majority this is absolutely correct. For those needing to be shielded it's not correct. But I wouldn't expect to see them in H&M anytime soon if they're not even confident enough to go to Tesco's.
My view is that the practicality of social distancing is in inverse proportion to the number of people out and about. If you open more shops the more people will go out to them and the more people that go out to them the less practical social distancing will become so much so that it will break down eventually, probably sooner rather than later.
This is spot on. I completely understand why the government are trying to maintain it, but I think deep down they know that the more places that are open, the less social distancing becomes possible. I didn't even really see much of it outside this morning in the park, and this is one of the easier places for it to work.

underbank

Established Member
For a lot of shops with social distancing measures, I do wonder whether it will actually be economic for them to open.

Some shops are actually losing more money by opening than by staying closed. We have a couple in our village who have stayed open as a service to the community rather than make profit. They only stayed open because they knew they were going to get the small business rates grant and self employment support grant which would cover their losses. The entire rationale is to keep their customers so that they'll be able to survive in the long term once Covid restrictions are relaxed. They didn't want their customers to get into the habit of buying their goods/shopping from other places instead, which would have meant them effectively starting from scratch if they'd closed and then re-open later. By contrast, we have another shop that did close and they're really going to struggle to re-open and get customers back as the other shops have started selling what they sold due to customer demand.

westv

Established Member
I read that Waterstones will "quarantine" books for 72 hours if they are touched and not purchased. How will that work then? Will staff train customers in order to grab any offending novels and drop them into sealed plastic bags?

robk23oxf

Interestingly, some non-essential stores such as DFS, Dunelm and Matalan have already re-opened.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

There is absolutely no evidence that face masks make any difference to the spread of the virus, unless you are fully suited and booted in PPE. The main risk remains touching something/someone with the virus and then touching your face. A mask makes the latter more likely, not less.

I don't wear a mask but I do avail of hand sanitizer on the way in and out of shops (mostly on the way out, as I've touched things in the shop). And I use soap regularly, as soap is proven to destroy the protein spikes that allow transmission.

If a mask makes you feel better then wear one, but enforcing them is just theatre.

My view is that the practicality of social distancing is in inverse proportion to the number of people out and about.

As I've said elsewhere, our non-essential shops reopened two weeks ago. And this is true. I went into town when it was raining last week and social distancing in the shopping street and in the shops was easy. Less so today in the warm sunshine. But I'm not going to catch Covid off someone I pass in the street unless I lick them, and licking strangers isn't one of my peccadilloes.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Personally, I have an aversion to online shopping. You always seem to end up having to wait ages for whatever you've ordered to be delivered.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You're buying from the wrong places! Amazon I find mostly delivers next day now for instance.

I suppose I could always try them.

There's still nothing quite like going to the shop and walking out with what you want !

Status
Not open for further replies.