• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional services running during Commonwealth Games 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
So next year the Commonwealth Games will take place in Birmingham. Are there any plans anyone knows of for increased rail services to any of the venues? The published transport plan is all very vague, they're "encouraging" you to use public transport but say nothing at all about specific routes. Particularly interested in the Alexander Stadium (near Perry Barr station). The current 2 trains per hour surely won't cut it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
So next year the Commonwealth Games will take place in Birmingham. Are there any plans anyone knows of for increased rail services to any of the venues? The published transport plan is all very vague, they're "encouraging" you to use public transport but say nothing at all about specific routes. Particularly interested in the Alexander Stadium (near Perry Barr station). The current 2 trains per hour surely won't cut it.
Hopefully they take a leaf out of Scotrail's book and bolster capacity on every key route they can.

Scotrail even pinched 380s to run additional services on the Argyle Line between Rutherglen and Garscadden.

Services should be doubled up, maybe some specials to run them as well. Could any CrossCity line trains be diverted to run up to Walsall?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Its all being looked at now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Perry Barr's being re-built currently isn't it? I assume a lot of that is specifically for the Commonwealth Games.

I'm apparently due to go to the opening ceremony, my Mum's got tickets so we'll certainly be using Perry Barr. It doesn't look too far to walk from Perry Barr to the stadium, and I'm already looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere :D

I believe the track cycling's all being held at the Lea Valley Velodrome near Stratford, so if I score those in the ballot I'll not actually be in the host city for much of the action. The bits I can't watch live, I'll be tuning in for as much as possible. I just hope it's not stuck exclusively to Channel 4, whose cycling coverage of the Paralympics left much to be desired!

As for the local railway service, I will be very surprised if there isn't a shuttle service or something in place for the events. I expect there will be extra demand up the Cannock line too, where the mountain biking is being held. The road cycling events will no doubt attract extra railway use, although I'm of no idea where that's being held.

I suspect some short forms elsewhere will happen over the two weeks of the Games, but it is still ages away yet so who knows what will happen in the meantime?

duncanp

Established Member
The West Midlands Combined Authority has a page on the transport plan.

Key points are:-

• Specators will get free local bus, train and tram travel included in their tickets for the games
  • Park and ride facilities will be set up, from which there will be free shuttle buses to the various venues
  • There will be new public transport services including the Sprint rapid bus service linking three key Games venues, and the redeveloped Perry Barr and University railway stations.
I live close to the swimming venue in Smethwick, and I would imgaine that there will be additional bus services laid on to take people there, possibly from somewhere like Smethwick Galton Bridge (which has services from all three main central Birmingham station) or West Bromwich.

Local public transport included in Birmingham 2022 tickets as plans for greenest ever Commonwealth Games unveiled​

Spectators will get local bus, train and tram travel included in their tickets for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games under plans to make the eleven-day sporting festival the greenest Games ever held.

The public transport offer for event ticket holders is just one of a wide range of measures outlined in the draft Commonwealth Games Transport Plan agreed by the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) Board today (Friday June 25).

The plan, developed by Transport for West Midlands (TfWM), which is part of the WMCA, has been drawn up in partnership with Birmingham 2022 and Birmingham City Council to make sure the region keeps moving when hundreds of thousands of sports fans arrive next summer.

The emphasis is to make it as easy as possible for spectators to leave the car at home and use public transport to get to events, helping to manage congestion on the wider network for regular commuters, deliveries and emergency services going about their daily business.

Park and ride facilities will also be set up and additional shuttle buses laid on to ferry spectators and participants to venues and help meet the anticipated surge in demand expected during the Games. People will also be encouraged to use active travel for shorter journeys with green routes set out for cycling and walking.

New public transport services including the Sprint rapid bus service linking three key Games venues, and redeveloped Perry Barr and University railway stations will also be available for spectators and visitors while leaving a valuable transport legacy for the region.

Detailed local traffic and parking plans will be drawn up for each individual venue, including the Alexander Stadium in Perry Barr and Sandwell Aquatics Centre in Smethwick, with measures such as controlled parking zones to reduce the impact on surrounding residential roads.

Andy Street, the Mayor of the West Midlands, said: “When the Commonwealth Games starts next year we will have the eyes of the world on the West Midlands, and so it is mission critical that all our visitors can travel around swiftly and efficiently whilst minimising the impact on residents. That’s why I’m delighted that travel from within the region to Games’ venues will be included in people’s tickets, making it as easy as possible for visitors to travel by bus, train, tram, cycling, and walking.

“Not only that, but we’re also setting up additional Park and Ride facilities, laying on shuttle buses, and of course drawing up detailed local traffic and parking plans for each venue. This is on top of our new Sprint rapid bus service, which will be operational by then linking three key Games venues.

“With more than one million spectators expected over the eleven days, as well as competitors, volunteers, staff and the world’s media, we have to get our transport offering just right. We believe this plan does exactly that.”

Cllr Ian Ward, WMCA portfolio holder for transport and leader of Birmingham City Council added: “The easiest way to get around during the Birmingham Commonwealth Games will be by using public transport, cycling or walking – especially for the spectators, staff and volunteers.

“Building on the recent launch of Birmingham's Clean Air Zone, this will help us reduce carbon emissions and air pollution around our venues - making Birmingham 2022 the cleanest and greenest Commonwealth Games ever. We will also see new transport infrastructure, such as our Sprint rapid bus route on the A34 and A45, leave a lasting legacy for the region.”

Ian Reid, CEO of Birmingham 2022 said: “Working as a partnership, we have the collective ambition that Birmingham 2022 will be the most sustainable Commonwealth Games to date.

“Fundamental to this is a well operated transport network that can effectively serve the different competition venues throughout the period of the Games. We know that TfWM, and the commitments and measures outlined in the Games Transport Plan, will keep the city and region moving, ensuring these Games can be accessed and enjoyed by all.”

Investing in and encouraging greater use of sustainable transport is seen as key to the West Midlands achieving its #WM2041 target of becoming a net-zero carbon region over the next two decades.

TfWM’s Regional Transport Coordination Centre (RTCC) will coordinate the transport network throughout the Games, using CCTV links to relay information to staff who can then coordinate action on the ground, such as rephasing traffic lights, to clear bottlenecks and provide useful information direct to travellers via social media and mobile apps.

The WMCA’s Board approval of the Commonwealth Games Transport Plan triggers three months of consultation with stakeholders and the public starting on Monday, 28 June.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine there will be additional services from New Street to Perry Barr running nonstop (returning to New Street ECS before reloading). Similar to the old London Midland extras for when the kickball was on at Villa Park.

But knowing Abellio there will be nothing added in terms of extra trains, probably the usual multiple cancellations followed by a single unit.

Last edited:

gc4946

Because some events finish around 10pm I hope there'll be extra late night services out of the West Midlands conurbation as well

gc4946

I'm apparently due to go to the opening ceremony, my Mum's got tickets so we'll certainly be using Perry Barr. It doesn't look too far to walk from Perry Barr to the stadium, and I'm already looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere :D
It's about a mile from Perry Barr station along the A34 to Alexander Stadium.
Otherwise the Sprint bus rapid transit service (expected next year) or National Express West Midlands 51 will take you to near the stadium

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's about a mile from Perry Barr station along the A34 to Alexander Stadium.
Otherwise the Sprint bus rapid transit service (expected next year) or National Express West Midlands 51 will take you to near the stadium

Maps suggests it's easily walkable, or indeed can be done by bike easily enough. Would you agree with such a view? I might make an investigative trip in the spring, when the station reopens, to find out for myself anyway.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bus routes :)

gc4946

It's walkable as I've done that several times attending athletics events but the A34 is very busy and unsure if there are dedicated cycle paths yet

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's walkable as I've done that several times attending athletics events but the A34 is very busy and unsure if there are dedicated cycle paths yet

Thanks, duly noted about the A34. Something for me to go and investigate in May then!

Status
Not open for further replies.