• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adonis "Teases" us about Electrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
I think the Conservative spokesman has already said the party is committed to electrification. Adonis' bit about cuts has probably been put there by central office as that is the line that will be rammed down our throats.
Of course, after the election all bets are off anyway. The country cannot afford everything, and, once the new government gets to see the official "books" they will wish they had lost. Including if Labour win.

Aictos

Established Member
It's just scare tactics employed by Nu Labour because they now realise that they're on the way out to the wilderness as the Conservatives will win the next election with the Liberal Democrats becoming the official opposition relegating Nu Labour to the sidelines for a very long time.

Cuts will have to happen regardless of who wins anyway so Nu Labour's talk of vote for us or suffer from the nasty Conservatives who will cut everything is just that, it's scare tactics.

Established Member
I think ill vote for myself :lol:, vote for me and single car units will be replaced by new build HST sets and BREL will re-open and british workers can get their jobs back, the money from this comes from education, as no matter how much money you throw at it chavs will never go to school and will never be accepted into society! :D a vote for me is a vote for proper traction :lol:

Swift-Deere

I think ill vote for myself :lol:, vote for me and single car units will be replaced by new build HST sets and BREL will re-open and british workers can get their jobs back, the money from this comes from education, as no matter how much money you throw at it chavs will never go to school and will never be accepted into society! :D a vote for me is a vote for proper traction :lol:

You should really stand lol, it would be great to see UK built trains on the rails again!!!

Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member
Or alternatively, scrap the Pacers, reintroduce loco-hauled services on many routes (e.g. all XC routes could be worked by push-pull sets), reopen a few lines and electrify most of them

SWT Driver

Or alternatively, scrap the Pacers, reintroduce loco-hauled services on many routes (e.g. all XC routes could be worked by push-pull sets), reopen a few lines and electrify most of them

Forgotten to take your medication to prevent you having delusional thoughts & sensible ideas again haven't you??? ;)

straitjacket.jpg

asylumxl

Established Member
It's just scare tactics employed by Nu Labour because they now realise that they're on the way out to the wilderness as the Conservatives will win the next election with the Liberal Democrats becoming the official opposition relegating Nu Labour to the sidelines for a very long time.

Cuts will have to happen regardless of who wins anyway so Nu Labour's talk of vote for us or suffer from the nasty Conservatives who will cut everything is just that, it's scare tactics.

Or truth.

If the people of the UK want things done, they need to put in the money, it's that simple. If they don't like the fact the government requires money to improve the country, they've probably got enough money to leave it.

Shrub Hill

got no problem with investment, the problem is the country is looking at returning to a level of public service last seen before labour got into power to remain self sustaining and reduce the debt racked up over the last 12 years, its nice that there are loads of shiny new trains, problem will come in the next few years when decisions have to be made across the board with regards to cuts, railway investment i cant imagine is top of the list, privitisation probably wont help tocs be unwilling to invest as the amount of redundancies coming will probably have a massive effect on travel which probably means in 10 years we will still have the same stock as we have now running it into the ground with increased costs to try and keep it going, the country is in ruin simple as and now we have to pay for it no electrification for us in the east mids i am afraid

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hope not, most modern British-built trains are rubbish.

Aictos

Established Member
Or truth.

If the people of the UK want things done, they need to put in the money, it's that simple. If they don't like the fact the government requires money to improve the country, they've probably got enough money to leave it.

If Nu Labour's telling the truth for once, then could they explain why the taxpayer has had to pay such obscene amounts of money for unneeded quangos and daft public sector jobs? Just by cutting these drains of money would be a better resource of the money which could be spent on electrification!

No, I still stick by my guns that it's all scare tactics of Nu Labour, do we really deserve yet another 4 years of them?

Old Timer

Established Member
The big difference is that BR built good rolling stock that could withstand quite a lot of hard work and abuse.

Todays plastic rubbish is not capable of even running over car tyres without something breaking. Whilst it might all look so glitzy now, I doubt much, if any, will last in service as long as some BR stock.

Voyagers in 40 years time anyone ?

Pumbaa

Established Member
No, I still stick by my guns that it's all scare tactics of Nu Labour, do we really deserve yet another 4 years of them?

Turning that on it's head, does this country really deserve 4 years of the Conservatives?

Lampshade

Established Member
My cat could do a better job of running this country than an idiot and a badger :|

I agree with Old Timer on this one, I really can't see Voyagers around in 40 or so years, I mean the HSTs are getting on for that now and after refurbishment most are in perfectly serviceable condition, British engineering at it's best. However, I can't see much, if any BR stock still on the railways in 40 years, except on Northern maybe/some of the 323s/few remaining 158/159s.

mrcheek

Established Member
Last edited:

Old Timer

Established Member
Cheers OT, ;)
Amazingly I was sent an invite the Nu Labour Conference, together with an invite to "The Last Supper" aka the Party Dinner, with a much reduced price.

I rather wished I had gone now, although it has to be said that the bars were apparantly deserted (despite what the BBC are spinning) and word has it that passers by were being offered Last Supper tickets for next to nothing to fill the place :roll::roll:

Truth is I have always found Labour Wimmin to be, well shall we say, Wimmin, rather than Women, and even Blairs Babes are now showing their underlying hatred.

Most amazing was the outburst from Harman about so called "Toffs" in the Conservative Party !, followed by the totally outrageous "Boy" Milliband smear against the Latvians.

Its going to be a most vindictive and unpleasant 6 months I fear.

Still back on topic, the bodyshells of the HST are still original are they not ?

Aictos

Established Member
the bodyshells of the HST are still original are they not ?

Indeed they are which is why the Aussies down under took our design and better it for the conditions down there.

Same reason why the 58s and 87s are leaving the UK to work in Europe.

We gave the railways to the world, it's only right that more then 150 years on the world gives something back, :p

Off topic on the Nu Labour issue, it will be riveting to watch the top leaders of Nu Labour wrestle to be Brown's successor while all the time claim that they really aren't interested in the position - Harriet Harman take note!

Still, would like to know what the odds are on the leadership contest that's bound to happen sooner rather then later although if Brown doesn't step down, he might as well hand Cameron the election on a plate as if he did step down then it might improve Nu Labour's chances.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Here's an idea: Let's give the Lib Dems a chance! Forget Labour, forget the Conservatives. Let's give someone different a chance!

tbtc

Veteran Member

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here's an idea: Let's give the Lib Dems a chance! Forget Labour, forget the Conservatives. Let's give someone different a chance!
I gave them a chance with the local council and they blew it by cutting the transport budget meaning a reduction in buses and trains, trying to sell off home care for the elderly, privatise the council housing stock and even tried to sell off the council house to a developer! Certain Lib Dem Councillors were also discovered to have been doctoring minutes of meetings.

Old Timer

Established Member
Off topic on the Nu Labour issue, it will be riveting to watch the top leaders of Nu Labour wrestle to be Brown's successor while all the time claim that they really aren't interested in the position - Harriet Harman take note!

Still, would like to know what the odds are on the leadership contest that's bound to happen sooner rather then later although if Brown doesn't step down, he might as well hand Cameron the election on a plate as if he did step down then it might improve Nu Labour's chances.
The thing is Ajax, no-one wants the job.

No-one wants to be sitting in the chair when they are slaughtered at the next General Election. The Stalinist purges of the Thirties will be as nothing compared to the blood-letting that will happen when "Old" Labour metaphorically start to take people outside and line them up against the wall.

"Boy" Milliband is desperate but wants to lead AFTER someone else is executed for losing the GA.

Harman believes she is the rightful successor to Brown but is hated as much by the rest of the Cabinet as Brown is.

Brown is such an egotist and fantasist the he STILL believes that he can spin and lie his way to a fourth Labour term. The thing is that no-one else does but as I said no-one wants the job. Even "Mandy" started to make overtures to the Conservatives, then realised the risks and started to make a series of personal attacks, (which the rest of the vegetables then followed on with) in an effort to stem the potential damage.

The more shrewd have been making discreet enquiries about non-exec directorships behind the scenes, and the shrewder still baled out earlier in the year whilst there was still a chance for an ex Labour Cabinet Minister / Junior Minister to be still able to get hold of one.

I doubt any Company will feel the need to have any ex labour politician on the Board.

So there we are, a Cabinet full of potential "leaders" (in their own tea breaks) some of whom dare not make any attempt at a Coup, whilst the remainder are desperate for Brown to go in order to save their own necks but whilst happy to wound are unwilling to strike. In the background is a hard core of the PLP still believe that Labour can make a come-back if only they can get rid of Brown.

"Mandys" sneering attack on the Sun alienated some 5m Sun readers who will always vote for whom the Sun tells them to, a well as making an enemy out of the Murdoch press machine, so you can look out for a whole series of lurid exposees of Labour MP wrong-doings as the attack-dogs are released from the gutter in due course.

Personally I think that Brown will be told to go in no uncertain terms, and the whisper is that his understudy who was responsible for forcing throught the LUL PPP arrangements has resigned so that she won't be covered by the rules that prohibit a former Minister taking a related job within six-months of leaving office. The hard hearted also reckon she will be "puffing up the cushions" in a private sector role for a Brown tenure in due course.

Look out for a "Health reasons" resignation excuse, as the Left have been planting these little stories and rumours, which have now taken on a mental health aspect, for a while now in order to destabilise Brown. That is the thing with Labour, they turn viciously against their own when the person no longer suits the cause.

There are still those in the PLP who think that a change of leader will solve everything, so expect an early bath for Brown if they get their way. They figure Brown has to go NOW. Were they to do so then THAT would really set the cat amongst the pigeons, especially if someone like Dobson came forward.

There is a chance however that Brown may be on his way to Buck House in the next two weeks, just to spite them all. The reason is the publication of an Election Manual, and some strange early canvassing that has started to happen in at least one Constituency I am told.

Oh how they must be twisting in absolute agony right now !

Last edited:

Whilst scare tactics clearly, it should be remembered that Adonis is one of the best transport ministers we've had in ages. It's been rumoured that the Tories will seek to keep him on in some form, especially if their majority is slim - one of the GOATS as it were (govt of all the talents haha). Just come back from a Q&A with a Tory MP/Junior Minister and it seems that the Tories are pretty committed to electrification. However...it looks like HS2 is going to be a casualty of the axe, unless the economy makes a major pick up - to quote the MP "its a great aspiration, and a good fig-leaf for not expanding Heathrow but in the current climate, billions to get to Manchester 50 minute faster just cannot be justified". Shame :( I did point out the capacity issue, but he waffled over that...ah well, politicians...don't trust em whatever party they are from ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.