• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
After a reasonable night's sleep, it was an early rise for me and having left the building just after 06:15, I dropped the keys off in the main building by means of simply posting them through the letterbox. It was a short walk to the bus station (if it can be called that, as it appears to be a small layby off the street) to await the Arriva 65 bus that would be due at 06:35. The bus arrived on schedule with me hopping onboard for the run to Polesworth shops via the Aldi distribution centre and the A5. It was a short walk along Station Road and a cul-de-sac to reach the station forecourt. It was through the gate onto the Stafford platform to await the 07:23 ex Northampton-Crewe. Of note, the London platform was in a sorry state as you would expect as it has been disused for a while. It was soon onboard required 350376 for the short run to Tamworth, with 4 passengers boarding with me and not surprisingly nobody alighting at Polesworth.

During the fester at Tamworth, I went for a short walk then returned to the station to see 43301+303 on the 07:5x Plymouth and 66566+547 hauling containers through Platform 2 in the London direction. It was onboard the 5 minutes delayed 08:03 ex Crewe-London Euston formed of dud pair 350127+130 for the run to Nuneaton.

Having hung around to see if my final London Midland dogbox would be on the 08:33 Coventry shuttle, I declined that as it was dud 153366 (I require 364). 66536 was spotted hauling containers through Platform 2 taking the diverging route towards Coventry. It was onboard the 08:41 to Birmingham formed of dud 170638, spotting 66512 and 66503 at the yard at Landor Street on the approach to Birmingham.

After nipping out of the station to pick up something light plus some tea (I can be a grumpy sod if I have not had a minimum of 2 cups of tea first thing in the morning), it was onboard the 09:49 Hereford via Bromsgrove formed of dud 170503 for the run to Worcester Foregate Street. I had a wander around the city before picking up some provisions from the Tesco store next to the station. It was onboard the 11:01 ex Great Malvern-Bristol TM formed of dud 158958.

My strategy at Bristol would be to keep a lookout for any Sprinters that are required - in particular 150120 and 150124 as those will eventually transfer to Northern Rail at some point in the future. I would also be keeping a lookout for any required IC125 powercars as another option in addition to any Thames Turbos that have worked their way west. Having spotted 800003+004 passing through Platform 5/6 at 13:08 heading in the Exeter direction, it was onboard the 13:19 Exeter St Davids limited stop formed of dud 153333+ required 150120 for some Sprinter thrash on the non-stop run to Taunton, returning back to Bristol via Weston-super-Mare on the 14:10 formed of dud 150127.

Next up was the 5 minutes delayed 15:53 ex Newport-Taunton via Weston-super-Mare formed of required 150216 for the short one mile run to Bedminster. I had an option of a linear hop to Parson Street if the 16:33 ex Bristol Parkway-Weston-super-Mare was required, but it was dud so returned to Bristol TM on the 16:40 formed of dud 150101. As I spotted a required Turbo on the Avonmouth/Severn Beach earlier on, I made my way to Platform 5 for the 17:13 formed of dud 166212 for the run to Redland, returning to Bristol on the 17:32 formed of as expected required 166205, arriving 10 minutes behind schedule as the train got held at Narroways Hill Junction. Being mindful of the time as I need to head over towards Westbury, it was onboard the slightly delayed 18:04 formed of a busy and dud 150232 for the run to Westbury.

At Westbury yard, 66182+119 had their headlights facing London, while 66006 and 66519 were not coupled to anything. 66025 was hauling Mendip Rail wagons southbound along the track next to Platform 1. It was onboard the 19:14 London Paddington formed of dud pair 43042+154 for the run to Pewsey. It is noted that Pewsey has an unusual calling pattern combined with a weird frequency that has no pattern in particular. Looking at the timetable this seems to be the best time of day to quickly score this station. After alighting it was over to the opposite platform for the 5 minutes delayed 19:37 ex London Paddington-Frome formed of dud pair 43147+174 for the run to Frome and back to Westbury on the 20:15 short working. 158960 was on the 21:02 ex Cardiff Central-Portsmouth Harbour via Eastleigh. It was to London Paddington on the 8 minutes delayed 21:06 formed of dud pair 43141+183, and having hit the engineering possession upon arrival at Reading, the train was routed onto the relief lines resulting in the arrival time at Paddington being 22:58 - 22 minutes behind schedule. I made my way to the Smart Hyde Park View along Leinster Terrace via Craven Hill, arriving for check in 15 minutes after exiting Paddington station.

Overall I have managed to score Polesworth and Pewsey stations, and even though I did not get many winners, it is still a few Sprinters less that I require.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on joining me in the club of boarding at Polesworth :) Plus getting Pewsey into your book as well, with a varied couple days of traction

adrock1976

Established Member
As I was starting to come down with the cold, I decided that I would not do anything that is too strenuous. After having had breakfast, it was a short walk to Paddington station to pick up at the very least the standard Zones 1-6 travelcard. I realised that the easiest thing to eliminate from my requirements would be the Class 387s that are on the Hayes & Harlington shuttle service. Having confirmed that the IC125 powercars were all dud (from the buffer end anyway - I could not be bothered to walk all the length of the platform only to come back if as highly likely would be dud as well), it was over to Platform 11 for the 11:15 Hayes & Harlington formed of required pair 387151+130 for a run to Acton Main Line, spotting dud 360203 at Old Oak Common, 800011 at North Pole, and 66010 and 66012 at Acton Yard. After assisting a lady with a trunk size suitcase who was intending to travel to Cardiff but boarded the wrong train (I showed her what the Cardiff train would look like after spotting an IC125 passing by) I returned to Paddington on the 11:33 ex Hayes & Harlington formed of required pair 387143+147 having had both diagrams.

It was onboard the 12:03 Heathrow Connect local train formed of required 360202 for a run to Hanwell. Having spotted a required Class 360 heading on a delayed Paddington, I went for a wander to a convenience store for some provisions, returning to the station to board the 10 minutes delayed 12:45 Heathrow Terminal 5 formed of required 360204 to Hayes & Harlington. Of note, I had spotted 360201 earlier on which was dud, with me believing that 360205 would be on the Terminals 123 and 4 shuttle. I returned back to Paddington on the 13:10 formed of required 165124 for some Turbo boost.

I decided that being as I have yet to get off the mark with the Class 332s, I purchased the Boundary Zone 6 - Heathrow Rail (Not via London), and made my way over to the 13:55 Heathrow Express formed of obviously required pair 332002+013 for the run to Heathrow Terminal 5, scoring new track to the airport from Hayes & Harlington. I returned on the same train to Heathrow Terminals 123 after briefly stepping onto the platform while the station staff carry out a sweep of the train. After alighting at Terminals 123 and much to my surprise, it was a Class 332 that was on the Terminal 4 shuttle rather than 360205 that I had expected. I hopped on the next train to Terminal 5, which was dud from earlier 360204. I had another run to Terminals 123 on the 14:27, formed of required pair 332003+009, back to Terminal 5 on required pair 332001+006, and after briefly stepping onto the platform back on the same train that departed at 15:27 for the run back to Paddington.

As I had news (courtesy of a post that was in the TOPS Request thread) that my final required London Midland Class 150 was on the Bletchley-Bedford this week, I would be switching from Great Western Railway metals to London & North Western Railway metals for the rest of today. This would also enable me to fit in the afternoon Class 319 diagrams as well. It was downstairs to the Bakerloo Line to hop onboard dud 3538+ required 3265 to Warwick Avenue, then on dud pair 3541+3241 to Harrow & Wealdstone, gradually working my way to the front of the train at each stop so as to be near the footbridge as I have 3 minutes to get to Platform 5.

Having pulled off the connection, it was onboard the 16:18 ex Euston-Tring formed of dud pair 350130+107 + required 118 for the run to Bushey, then a rapid dash to Platform 2 (another 3 minute connection) for the 16:26 ex Watford Junction-Euston formed of dud 378255 for a run to Carpenders Park. 66121 was spotted hauling wagons northbound before boarding the 6 minutes delayed 16:34 ex Euston-Watford Junction formed of dud 378205 for the short run to Watford High Street, where it was immediately across to the opposite face of the island platform where the 16:44 Euston was already there, formed of required 378228 for a bus stop bash to Bushey, where after alighting I immediately made my way over to Platform 5 for the 16:51 ex Euston formed of required pair 350234+239 for a run to Apsley.

You may have noticed that since making my way from Paddington, I have been riding my luck so far. However this is where my luck has run out, with some of my intended plans falling apart. This is where my intention to get both of the Class 319 northbound diagrams would be starting from, with a run to Berkhamsted then the second diagram to Cheddington, landing both the 16:54 and 17:05 ex Euston -Tring and Milton Keynes Central respectively.

The 17:20 was shown on the screens as being 10, then 15, then 20 minutes delayed, due to a train fault. During this time 70011 hauling containers northbound, 66595 hauling containers northbound, and 66145 hauling ballast wagons in the London direction were spotted. A kick in the teeth came when the 17:05 ex Euston-MK Central passed through with it being required 319013+ dud 429. Eventually it was onboard the 22 minutes delayed 17:20 formed of required pair 319457+216 for the run to Berkhamsted, spotting 66433 hauling Stobart Rail containers towards London, and 90020+035 hauling cars northbound. Having decided to forego the Cheddington station score, it was onboard the 6 minutes delayed 17:57 Birmingham NS via Northampton formed of dud pair 350246+236 straight to Bletchley, following and catching up with the freight train that was immediately in front, arriving Bletchley 15 minutes behind schedule at 18:31.

It was then a rapid dash to Platform 5 for the 18:31 Bedford that was held and was formed of dud 153365 for a run to Aspley Guise. It should be noted that Aspley Guise has staggered platforms either side of a level crossing, with there being no footbridge. After alighting I immediately made my way over the crossing to the Bletchley platform, with the crossing sequence starting as I had barely set foot on the platform. A few minutes later the 18:54 ex Bedford arrived, with my jaw dropping when it was not required 150105 that appeared, but dud 150107 that rolled in to take me to Bletchley.

It was onboard the 19:27 Euston formed of required 350123 for a run to Hemel Hempstead. I went for a brief wander to the Spar convenience store at the garage along London Road for something light. A word of warning here - if you want anything substantial to eat and drink, you would need to rob a bank first as the prices are very extortionate. For example a standard size Fanta can is over £1, and a standard size bag of crisps there is hardly any change from £1 either. Sandwiches are greater than £3.

Anyway, having got something cold and wet and a flash marked veg samosa and having change from £2, it was back to the station to board the 10 minutes delayed 20:05 Euston formed of required pair 350250+259 to Watford Junction, where I made my way to the furthest platform for the 20:33 St Albans Abbey. It was onboard required 319433 for the run to Park Street, and a rapid dash via the footpath and Park Street Lane to reach How Wood station, arriving 3 minutes before the train was due.

Unknown to me, this is a move that would backfire on me. The 20:59 was still on the screen 5 minutes later with no sign of the train having been at all. I began to feel a bit uneasy when the screen for the next Abbey train shown as cancelled, as well as the 21:59 Watford Junction. The 20:59 disappeared off the screen as well. At 21:10 I saw and heard a train approaching and more importantly with the headlights facing Watford. Sadly it was running empty, and the screen on the platform had the next few trains being cancelled. Trying to use the help point which was not functioning, I contacted National Rail Enquiries to find out what was happening. The Abbey trains are suspended until the end of day.

Looking at the map of the local area, I walked towards the shops. Having noticed that the local buses finish at 18:30, I nipped into the Co-op store where the guy on the checkout was kind enough to give me a number to contact a taxi - the very first time I have had to make use of a taxi in the middle of a bashing trip. The taxi company was A1 Taxis, which took me to St Albans City station with the fare being reasonable in that there was change from £10, which I let the driver keep.

It was soon onboard the 22:18 Brighton formed of required 700108 for the run to Farringdon, arriving 22:43. Switching to London Underground, I boarded required 21567+568 to Edgware Road, then on required 21347+348 for the run to Paddington (Praed Street). After picking up some provisions from the Sainsbury's store inside the main station, it was a short walk back to the accommodation.

Overall I feel that I have had rather mixed fortunes today in that I have scored new track, got off the mark with the Class 332s, got some Class 319s, got caught up in delays, something I was expecting had not turned up, a service suspension I got caught up in, and the use of a taxi during the middle of a bashing trip for the very first time.

I will have Friday 6 October and 7 October done within the week. I still have not got over the cold I have come down with, hence the delay in posting.

Far north 37

Established Member
good day out there just wondering was it definatley 66010 you seen at acton yard as its one of the ecr french allocated 66s and its one of the last few im after so if its around west london be good to know 66100 and 66110 have been around acton yard lately just wondering if it was maybe one of those

Last edited:

James Wake

I personally in that situation at How Wood would’ve used the help point for onward journey advice. Normally when the Flyer goes down, minibuses are used from a Watford company I think, so you probably wouldn’t have had to wait long. Good read though and taught me something that BZ6 in conjunction with a Travelcard is valid on HEx?

adrock1976

Established Member
I personally in that situation at How Wood would’ve used the help point for onward journey advice. Normally when the Flyer goes down, minibuses are used from a Watford company I think, so you probably wouldn’t have had to wait long. Good read though and taught me something that BZ6 in conjunction with a Travelcard is valid on HEx?

I did mention to National Rail Enquiries if there were buses running in place, but they had no record in their system of that happening. It did not help that the London Midland customer service team had cleared off at 19:00.

As the Zones 1-6 Travelcard was purchased earlier at Paddington main station and not the Underground bit, it was on the standard orange cardboard. The Boundary Zone 6 - Heathrow Rail was purchased from the booking hall using the large freestanding screens. I was careful to make sure that it was the any operator and not the Heathrow Connect only.

I never had any problems with the guards regarding my ticket combination. However it may have been problematic if I had the Travelcard printed on London Underground ticket stock, as announcements made onboard mentioned that Oyster and London Underground tickets are not accepted.

adrock1976

Established Member
good day out there just wondering was it definatley 66010 you seen at acton yard as its one of the ecr french allocated 66s and its one of the last few im after so if its around west london be good to know 66100 and 66110 have been around acton yard lately just wondering if it was maybe one of those

It may have been a typo or misreading of the number I had made as I was passing at speed.

adrock1976

Established Member
GWR bits, Class 387s, and Anglia bits 06 October

I had started to come down with the cold as I did not get much of a good night’s sleep due to being up going back and forth to and from the lavatory coughing up a fair amount of phlegm. This would explain the late start today and owing to the state I was in, I would be taking things easy. After having had some breakfast, I gently walked to Paddington station arriving around 11:30 with my first mission being to purchase at the very least the Zones 1-6 Travelcard. I checked to see which pair of Class 387s were on the Hayes & Harlington local shuttle and hopped onboard required pair 387148+135 for the run to West Ealing, spotting 59205 hauling Yeoman wagons in the London direction, 66x05, and 59001 hauling Mendip Rail wagons westbound at Acton Main Line. After 66534 passed through hauling Maersk containers in the London direction, it was back to Paddington on dud pair from yesterday 387130+151.

After having a look to see if anything required was about, I decided to purchase a Boundary Zone 6 – Pangbourne and Slough – Windsor & Eton Central (on the chance that a required Thames Turbo is on the shuttle today) then hopped onboard the 12:50 Oxford limited stop formed of required 166211 for a run to Slough, spotting 66727 hauling wagons in the London direction and 66012 both at Acton Yard. Between Langley and Slough, 66025 was hauling wagons in the London direction. It was a short fester at Slough before the 13:10 Windsor & Eton Central shuttle rolled in, with me hopping onboard required 165126 for the run to Windsor & Eton and back. Having let a couple of duds go, it was onboard the 13:57 Oxford local formed of required 165119 for a run to Pangbourne.

As I would have to start thinking about making my way to Fenchurch Street for both of the evening Class 387 diagrams, I consulted the timetable to see which options would be ideal for the cross London transfer using the good old fashioned 60 minutes minimum interchange time that was explicitly stated in the Great Britain Passenger Timetable book. Bearing in mind that the standard service pattern at Pangbourne station is the Paddington – Oxford locals every 30 minutes, I would decide to bail at Ealing Broadway and participate in a lucky dip (there are 4 sets of 2 cars coupled together with the Central Line, with the formation changing some days) with the London Underground Central Line to Liverpool Street, so as to reduce my Central Line requirements.

It was onboard the 5 minutes delayed 14:47 ex Oxford – Paddington local formed of dud 165137 for the run to Ealing Broadway, coupling up to dud 166215 at Reading and arriving Ealing Broadway just before 16:00. I made my way over to the London Underground platforms and while I was walking along to get the numbers of the 4x2 cars, I also noted the numbers of the second Central Line train that would be departing 5 minutes or so after the first train has left. As I would be doing a few linear hops on my way to Fenchurch Street via Liverpool Street and Tower Hill and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

91169+92224+92196+91051 Ealing Broadway – Holland Park
91335+92438+92068+91343 Holland Park – Lancaster Gate
91173+92262+92012+91193 Lancaster Gate – Marble Arch
91095+92448+92240+91145 Marble Arch – Chancery Lane
91305+92264+92020+91269 Chancery Lane – Liverpool Street
21457+458 Liverpool Street – Tower Hill

Making my way round the corner to Fenchurch Street, it was onboard the 17:16 Shoeburyness formed of required 387305+303+301 for a run to Limehouse, and back to Fenchurch Street immediately on required pair 357317+034, arriving FST around 17:30. Keeping an eye on the screens, the 17:49 Shoeburyness (the second Class 387 afternoon diagram) was cancelled due to a train fault. It was back round the corner to Tower Hill underground station to board dud 21373+374 to Liverpool Street, thinking to myself that while I am here, I might as well see if any required Anglia Class 317s and my final Class 315 is around. As it is my intention to depart Liverpool Street only on anything that is required and as before for easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to London Underground hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

317340+654 18:11 Liverpool Street – Hackney Downs
317672+663 18:21 Hackney Downs – LST
315810+809 18:33 LST – Hackney Downs (I have finally landed my final 315 to clear the class after numerous attempts)
317889+888 18:43 Hackney Downs – LST
317509 19:07 LST – Tottenham Hale (train continues to Kings Lynn)
317667+651 19:30 Tottenham Hale – LST
317650+670 19:58 LST – Tottenham Hale
379010+009 20:30 Tottenham Hale – LST

After nipping to the Tesco store on Bishopsgate Street for some provisions, I made my way to the London Underground Central Line for another go at a lucky dip. I have again listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

91261+92200+92434+91075 Liverpool Street – Bank
91081+92098+92170+91087 Bank – St Paul’s
91211+92100+92458+91073 St Paul’s – Chancery Lane
91077+92436+92418+91263 Chancery Lane – Holborn
91113+92008+92180+91059 Holborn – Tottenham Ct Road
91011+92010+92096+91271 Tottenham Ct Road – Oxford Circus
91123+92456+92198+91317 Oxford Circus – Bond Street
91347+92408+92122+91191 Bond Street – Marble Arch
91065+92176+92414+91349 Marble Arch – Lancaster Gate

I arrived at Lancaster Gate at around 21:50, and due to me being rather under the weather today, I decided to end the day’s activities and headed back to my accommodation that was a short walk away via Craven Hill to Leinster Terrace.

I will have Saturday 07 October up soon, which is the homeward bound trip.

adrock1976

Established Member
Chiltern bits, the hunt for 153364, and homeward bound 07 October

Still feeling under the weather although not coughing and spluttering so much compared to yesterday, today was check out and to head back home. Apart from booking the Advance Singles London – Birmingham via High Wycombe on the 13:10 ex Marylebone on weekdays (one of the loco hauled sets), I have never really given much thought about the Chiltern Railways fleet. I would reduce my requirements slightly by doing linear hops and making use of the official doublebacks between Gerrards Cross and both Denham stations, plus this would also give me the chance to finally get round to covering one of the last two or three bits of track that became part of the Great Western Railway. The bit today I would be covering would be the Princes Risborough – Aylesbury, leaving me with the track west of Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli. I would also be swinging towards Coventry from Leamington Spa to see if my final London Midland dogbox 153364 would be on the Coventry – Nuneaton shuttle.

Having checked out, having had breakfast, and leaving the building at around 08:10, I gently walked along via Craven Hill, Praed Street, crossing Edgware Road into Chapel Street and Old Marylebone Road, I arrived at Marylebone station at around 08:35 and made my way to the platform to board the 08:43 Banbury formed of required 165037 for a run to Gerrards Cross. Switching to the London platform, it was soon onboard the 09:11 Marylebone formed of required 165014 for a short hop to Denham. Making my way to the northbound platform, it was onboard the 09:32 ex Marylebone formed of required 165009 back to Gerrards Cross, then hopping onboard the 09:49 Marylebone formed of required 165025 for a bus stop bash to Denham Golf Club – possibly the only station that has the suffix “Golf Club” in its name, however, Barry Links and Golf Street in Carnoustie also directly serve golf courses to the best of my knowledge. Making my way to the northbound platform, it was onboard the 10:00 ex Marylebone – Banbury formed of required 165030 for the run to Princes Risborough, with evidence of it being a major and busy junction station in its glory days.

It was onboard the slightly delayed 10:45 ex Aylesbury – Marylebone formed of required 165016 for a bus stop bash to Saunderton, immediately making my way over the footbridge to the northbound platform to board the 10:55 Aylesbury formed of required 165032 for the run to Aylesbury and back to Princes Risborough, finally scoring that tiny stub of GWR metals. After having a gentle wander about, it was back to the station to board the 12:27 Banbury formed of recent dud from earlier 165014 for the run to Banbury, spotting 68012 in the south sidings coupled to one of the loco hauled sets (I did not get the DVT), and scoring the grice into Platform 4 on arrival. Making my way via the footbridge to Platform 2, 165136 was on the Oxford local that was sitting in Platform 1. it was soon onboard the 13:07 ex Marylebone – Birmingham formed of required 168215 (this is the proper Clubman trains, rather than the 1683xx fleet which were formerly Class 170 Turbostars) for the run to Leamington Spa.

As I had a 50 minute gap before my next intended train, I decided to have a wander around town with the intention of looking out for an Indian restaurant or takeaway as I fancied a vegetable madras to help shift this cold I have been struck with. After not having had much luck as it seems the restaurants do not open until 5PM, I eventually settled upon a meal deal from the Co-op store before returning to the station, where I was surprised to see that the 13:47 ex Reading – York was running 15 minutes behind schedule, and was dud 220020 and ran via Solihull, so no loss there for me. The 14:24 ex Birmingham Moor Street – Marylebone was 82309+68013, and the 14:27 ex Marylebone – Birmingham MS was 68008+82301. It was onboard the 17 minutes delayed 14:14 ex Bournemouth – Manchester Piccadilly formed of dud 220022 for the run to Coventry, arriving 14 minutes behind schedule at 14:41 leaving me with one minute for the 14:42 Nuneaton. Sadly, this train had already started to depart, but I did make a note of the rear dogbox which was dud 153375.

Switching to my alternative plan on the assumption that both dogboxes were dud, I declined the slightly delayed 14:42 ex London Euston – Glasgow Central as it was dud pair 221106+105, opting for the 14:50 ex Euston – Birmingham formed of a busy and dud 350120 for the run to Birmingham New Street. Making my way over to Platform 4c to see if the 15:36 Liverpool South Parkway (terminating Crewe due to the previous day’s derailment) was required (it was dud 350374 which I declined), it was over to Platform 6b for the 15:31 ex Bristol TM (or further west) – Manchester Piccadilly formed of required 220010 for a run to Stafford. With me letting the aforementioned 15:36 Birmingham – Crewe go as it was dud, the observations during the time until the next Birmingham – Crewe were that 92028 was on the STVA Wincar in the London direction at 16:14, 220017 on the 16:24 ex Manchester – Bournemouth, 390118 (it was dud anyway) on the 16:24 diverted ex Euston – Warrington BQ (would have ran to Liverpool SP), and 220031 on the 16:28 ex Bournemouth – Manchester.

It was onboard the 16:36 ex Birmingham NS – Crewe formed of required 350244 which to my surprise ran via Searchlight Lane Junction. Arrival at Crewe was at 16:56, terminating in Platform 7, spotting 87002 in Platform 8 and 390002 on the 17:01 Euston via Birmingham. It is noted that it was my intention to take this train to Winsford and return to Crewe on the 17:40 ex Liverpool SP, then on the 18:09 to at least Wigan NW. Of course, I had to abandon that part of the plan owing to the derailment, but I was 1 hour ahead of my intended plans so could take things easy from Wigan onwards. It was onboard the slightly delayed 17:09 ex Euston – Edinburgh Waverley formed of dud 390008 for the run to Wigan NW, spotting 66133 and 66088 at Arpley Yard, and 66138 in the bay platforms facing London at Warrington BQ. At Wigan NW, 350407 was on the 17:43 ex Manchester Airport – Glasgow Central (which I declined as it was dud), 319361 was on the 17:50 ex Preston – St Helens Central limited stop, 156484 on the St Helens local, and 350410 (required, and not possible to get today in the northbound direction later on) on the 17:59 Manchester Airport.

I hopped onboard the 18:04 ex St Helens Central – Preston formed of required 319362 to Leyland, switching platforms for the 18:35 St Helens Central formed of dud 156481 for a bus stop bash Lancashire style to Euxton Balshaw Lane. It was to Preston on the slightly delayed 19:02 ex St Helens Central formed of dud 156484. After alighting, I made my way to the Whistlestop store on Platforms 3 and 4 to purchase some more copies of the Lancashire Evening Post for the Northern Rail tokens that are required for the £10 promotional offer. Before leaving Preston, 158794 was spotted on the 19:37 ex Blackpool North – York, with me boarding my booked train the 19:41 ex Euston – Glasgow Central formed of dud 390130 for an uneventful run north. Making my way to Glasgow Queen Street, it was onboard the 22:22 Falkirk Grahamston formed of dud 156513 for some Sprinter thrash up the Cowlairs Incline to Springburn, bringing the trip to an end.

Overall, I have managed to reduce my Chiltern Railways requirements, scored some new track between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury, 153364 still eluding me, and have reduced a couple of the London Midland Class 350 requirements.

adrock1976

Established Member
London bits and pieces 12-16 October

Warm up and outward bound via High Wycombe 12 October

After I had finished a couple of things that I could not get out of doing this morning, I had set off just after 13:10 for the short walk along the road to Barnhill station to board the 13:23 Dumbarton Central formed of dud 334018 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street. Making my way over to Central, it was onboard the 14:00 London Euston via Birmingham which was to my surprise formed of required 390121“Virgin Dream” (it has been a while since I last had a required Virgin WC for haulage) for the southbound run to Wolverhampton. At Kingmoor, 66176, 88002, 88007, various Class 68s, and 573xx were spotted at Kingmoor, and at Carlisle 57309 was in the goods loop west of Platform 1, with 156435 on the 15xx ex Newcastle Central – Glasgow Central via Dumfries.

Arrival at Wolverhampton was on schedule at 17:31, which this gave me a chance to see what would be on the 17:37 ex Shrewsbury – Birmingham local. I declined this as it was dud 170503 therefore opted for the 17:41 ex Manchester Piccadilly – Bournemouth formed of dud 220001 for the run to Birmingham New Street. Making my way over to Moor Street and arriving onto the London platform at 18:07, it was a short fester before hopping onboard the 18:15 ex Snow Hill – London Marylebone formed of dud 168214 for a run to Lapworth. Around 10 minutes or so later, it was on the 18:46 ex Leamington Spa – Birmingham SH local formed of required and pretend Clubman 168324 (formerly 170304) for the short run to Dorridge making use of an official doubleback. Crossing over to the London platform, it was soon onboard the 18:57 ex Birmingham – Marylebone formed of required (and proper Clubman) 168001 for the run to High Wycombe.

Making my way over to Platform 1 of which felt like I was on a hiking expedition, it was onboard the 20:17 Marylebone local formed of required 165026 for the run to Seer Green & Jordans, gricing the crossover to the London track after departing High Wycombe. During the fester here, 66030 was spotted hauling high sided square containers in the London direction. I hopped onboard the 20:47 ex Marylebone – High Wycombe formed of dud 165025 for a bus stop bash to Beaconsfield, then heading to Marylebone on the 21:07 formed of recent dud from earlier 168324, with the only intermediate station call being Gerrards Cross.

After making my over to Baker Street via Dorset Square and Melcombe Street (stopping off at the Tesco store to pick up provisions in the process), it was to the Metropolitan Railway platforms to have a go at reducing my London Underground requirements slightly. The intention being that as I would be staying at the Smart Russell Square hostel a short walk from Kings Cross and also Russell Square tube station, I would be heading in broadly that direction. For easier readability I have listed the moves below with me declining duds (5 in a row maximum) and just concentrating on requirements highlighted in bold:

21395+396 Baker Street – Gt Portland Street
21021+022 Gt Portland Street – Euston Square
21425+426 Euston Square – Kings Cross
21009+010 Kings Cross – Moorgate (terminating Platform 3 and scoring the crossovers)
21539+540 Moorgate – Barbican
21439+440 Barbican – Farringdon
21061+062 Farringdon – Kings Cross

I decided to walk to my accommodation via Judd Street and Marchmont Street to Guilford Street to check in and finish off the warm up session.

adrock1976

Established Member
London & South Western Railway bits, Class 387s, and Anglia bits 13 October

As I am still under the weather, I have been taking things easy and having had breakfast and checking out, I decided to have a gentle walk to Holborn rather than using the nearby Russell Square tube station. After purchasing the Zones 1-6 Travelcard, it was to the westbound Piccadilly Line platform to board required 190+ dud 245 for a linear hop to Covent Garden, then on required 158+ dud 195 to Leicester Square. Changing to the southbound Northern Line, I made my way to Waterloo on required sets 51667+666 to Charing Cross, 51708+546 to Embankment, and 51681+682 to Waterloo. My first port of call here was to check “The Drain” to see if my 5 remaining sets are working the Waterloo – Bank shuttle (I require 65511 to 520), but the three sets were all dud.

My intention for heading out here to Waterloo today is to concentrate mainly on reducing my Class 455, 456, and 458 requirements, with the bonus of hoping that some will be on the Hounslow Loop so as I can tick of the stations, completing all of the Zones 1-6 stations that are on London & South Western Railway metals. As I would be doing short hops and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to London Underground hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

458533 11:45 Waterloo – Queenstown Road Battersea
458512 11:59 Queenstown Road Battersea – Barnes Bridge
458516+514 12:16 Barnes Bridge – Barnes
458511+534 12:27 Barnes – Brentford
458533 12:39 Brentford – Chiswick
458509 12:47 (9 minutes delayed) Chiswick – Kew Bridge
450109+543 13:05 (5 minutes delayed) Kew Bridge – Isleworth (I was surprised with the pair of Class 450s as I was not expecting those – 2 less for me to chase after)
458536 13:19 Isleworth – Syon Lane
458514+516 13:25 Syon Lane – Feltham
450040+123 13:35 Feltham – Twickenham
458524+523 13:47 Twickenham – Whitton (Middlesex)
458535 13:53 Whitton (Middlesex) – Twickenham
450020+075 14:10 Twickenham – Richmond
458519+531 14:18 Richmond – Feltham (66714 was hauling wagons towards the Reading direction passing through Feltham at 14:30)
458509 14:41 Feltham – Hounslow
450543+109 15:01 Hounslow – Waterloo via Brentford

After picking up some provisions from the Tesco store, it was to the northbound Bakerloo Line platform to hop on required pair 3249+3599 for the run to Paddington. Briskly making my way to the vicinity of the double digit platforms in the main station, it was over to Platform 11 with a couple of minutes to spare to board the 16:15 Hayes & Harlington shuttle formed of required pair 387150+131 to Ealing Broadway, spotting 57310 at Old Oak Common and 66055 at Acton Yard. I decided to return to Paddington on the second diagram the 16:30 ex Hayes & Harlington formed of dud pair 387135+148.

It was downstairs to the Metropolitan Railway platforms (Praed Street) to make my way over to Fenchurch Street so as to see if I could get the even numbered trio of Class 387s on either the 17:16 or 17:49 Shoeburyness departures. Deciding to go via Kings Cross, it was onboard dud 21461+462 to Edgware Road, dud 21479+480 to Liverpool Street via Kings Cross, and on dud 21417+418 to Tower Hill for the short walk to Fenchurch Street, having narrowly missed the 17:16 before reaching the gateline at FST. I hung around to see if the 17:49 was actually running (which it was, unlike last Friday when it got cancelled due to a train fault). When the platform was confirmed, I made my way upstairs and a few minutes after arriving on the platform, it was the odd numbered trio that I had last week. Part of me had already sensed that being as it was not possible to make the 17:16, Sod’s Law was functioning today, with it being purely coincidental that today is Friday 13th . I was thinking that depending how I feel on Monday morning, I may have another go at trying to land the even numbered trio of Class 387s.

Being as I was in the true City of London and like last Friday, I would pop over to Liverpool Street to see if any of my Anglia requirements are about. Walking back round the corner to Tower Hill, it was onboard required 21531+532 to Liverpool Street, then upstairs to the main station to see what was about. Similar to last Friday, my intention is to only depart Liverpool Street on a required train, and returning back more or less immediately. For easier readability, I have again listed the moves below similar to London Underground hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

317656+514 18:11 Liverpool Street – Hackney Downs
317649+660 18:21 Hackney Downs – LST
317506+884 18:37 LST – Tottenham Hale
317659+510 19:01 Tottenham Hale – LST
321353+405 19:32 LST – Stratford (train continues to Harwich)
321331+434 19:39 (delayed 5 minutes) Stratford – LST
317341+345 19:58 LST – Tottenham Hale
317338+652 20:27 Tottenham Hale – Lea Bridge (I had already declined dud 317s and 379s, with the 20:30 LST being my target train to return)
317656 20:36 Lea Bridge – Tottenham Hale
317650+654 20:44 Tottenham Hale – LST

After picking up some provisions from the Tesco store along Bishopsgate Street, it was to the London Underground platforms. As there are engineering works between Kings Cross and Liverpool Street after 21:15, I decided to go via Aldgate East then westbound towards Hounslow East on the Piccadilly Line. As I would be doing linear hops and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

21399+400 Liverpool Street – Aldgate East (final train of the evening Hammersmith – Barking via Kings Cross)
21393+394 Aldgate East – Gloucester Road (advertised as a Circle Line Barking – Edgware Road via Victoria due to engineering works)
21415+416 Gloucester Road – Ealing Common
895+176 Ealing Common – Acton Town
873+220 Acton Town – South Ealing
123+142 South Ealing – Boston Manor
121+230 Boston Manor – Osterley
870+143 Osterley – Hounslow East

It was a short walk to the Heathrow Hostel where I would be staying for the next couple of nights.

Overall, I am happy with today’s efforts with the only downside being that the even numbered trio of Class 387s was on the 17:16 Fenchurch Street – Shoeburyness, which I narrowly missed on.

adrock1976

Established Member
London Underground bits and some Class 455 hunting 14 October

After having had a reasonable as can be night’s sleep even with earplugs (I made the fatal error of booking a hostel that is an annex of a spit and sawdust pub that has late night entertainment beyond midnight, and also being in the vicinity of the flightpath on the approach to Heathrow. I suppose the accommodation was definitely “pay for what you get” as for the Friday and Saturday night the total was £27), and with me still being under the weather, I would be taking things easy. I set off for the walk into Hounslow town centre stopping off at Greggs to pick up a cup of tea and something light, making my way to Hounslow Central underground station via Bell Square. A thought that came into my mind was that while I am over in this part of historic Middlesex, I might as well attempt to reduce my Piccadilly Line requirements as it is damned easier to land the 1973 Tube Stock while they are still in London than what it would be when they do eventually transfer to the Isle of Wight, if at all.

First of all, I would be making my way to Heathrow Terminal 4 then to Terminals 123 on the free shuttle so as to cover the track, completing the Heathrow complex to Hayes & Harlington main line that the Express trains use (I only need to grice the relief line connection that the Connect trains use, which may be possible when London Crossrail is up and running). Also, as I need to score some of the Underground stations on the Acton Town – Rayners Lane/Uxbridge (I require the track beyond Rayners Lane, and I would be deliberately leaving both Sudbury LU stations as I can save those for when I do both Sudbury stations on the former GWR mainline). As I would be doing short hops and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

192+861 Hounslow Central – Heathrow T4
360202 11:56 Heathrow T4 – Heathrow T123 (360204 was stabled in the opposite platform at T4 – no Connect trains to Paddington due to engineering works)
172+127 Heathrow T123 – Acton Town
117+224 Acton Town – North Ealing
897+168 North Ealing – Alperton
857+188 Alperton – Park Royal
245+190 Park Royal – South Harrow
195+158 South Harrow – Eastcote
221107+108 Eastcote – Ruislip Manor
221105+106 Ruislip Manor – Ruislip
21029+030 Ruislip – Ickenham
119+858 Ickenham – Hillingdon (Swakeleys suffix, according to the station signage)
21035+036 Hillingdon – Uxbridge

After having a wander around town and stopping off for a pot of tea at one of the Costa Coffee branches, I continued with some more London Underground bashing, heading via Metropolitan Railway towards Baker Street. Again, the moves are listed below with requirements highlighted in bold:

21047+048 Uxbridge – West Harrow
21115+116 West Harrow – Preston Road
21025+026 Preston Road – Northwick Park
21035+036 Northwick Park – North Harrow
21049+050 North Harrow – Pinner
21001+002 Pinner – Northwood Hills
21081+082 Northwood Hills – Northwood
21047+048 Northwood – Croxley and Croxley – Moor Park
21049+050 Moor Park – Baker Street (ran non-stop along the fast lines between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Wembley Park as it was just after full time of the Tottenham Hotspur – Bournemouth league match, with lots of Spurs fans boarding at the fast line platform. There were still a lot of Spurs fans on the Baker Street/Stanmore Branch slow line platform. Perhaps Spurs could have bitten the bullet and ground shared Ashburton Grove – the home of their fierce rivals Arsenal?).

Having nipped out to the Tesco store for some provisions, I decided to head towards Wimbledon via High Street Kensington. The moves are listed below with requirements highlighted in bold:

21407+408 Baker Street – Edgware Road (Metropolitan Railway)
21509+510 Edgware Road – High Street Kensington (train advertised as a Circle Line to Barking via Victoria due to engineering works between Kings Cross and Liverpool Street)
21413+414 High Street Kensington – Fulham Broadway via Earl’s Court
21471+472 Fulham Broadway – Parsons Green
21357+358 Parsons Green – Putney Bridge
21517+518 Putney Bridge – East Putney
21567+568 East Putney – Southfields
21453+454 Southfields – Wimbledon Park
21521+522 Wimbledon Park – Wimbledon

Gently making my way to Platform 5 for the 7 minutes delayed 19:42 Chessington South (no, this is not a typo, even though Platform 5 is the London slow line. Due to engineering works at Waterloo station throat, some local trains were starting and terminating at Wimbledon), formed of required 455909 for a run to Motspur Park. After letting the next few departures in both directions go as they were dud, I boarded the 5 minutes delayed 20:18 ex Wimbledon – Chessington South formed of required 455734 for a run to Malden Manor, picking up something cold and wet from the Co-op store before returning on the same train due at 20:49 back to Motspur Park. Again, after letting duds in both directions go, I decided to return to Wimbledon 20 minutes later on the 21:13 ex Guildford – Wimbledon via Epsom formed of dud 455908, with the train switching to the fast lines after departing Raynes Park and terminating at Platform 6 at Wimbledon.

Deciding to gradually head back to my accommodation at Hounslow, I made my way over to the London Underground platforms, choosing the second departure as that was required. Once more and for the final time today, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

21369+370 Wimbledon – Earl’s Court
21487+488 Earl’s Court – Chiswick Park
21349+350 Chiswick Park – Acton Town
157+878 Acton Town – Hounslow East

Overall, I have managed to reduce the Piccadilly Line requirements, plus I have reduced the S Stock requirements too. Although I did not do so well with required Class 455/456s around Wimbledon, I have 2 less to chase after.

adrock1976

Established Member
London bits and pieces 15 October

Being as today is the day of the conference I am attending in Camden, I would be checking out of my accommodation in Hounslow with the target of being out of the dor by 08:00. I was 15 minutes ahead when I left the building for the short walk to Hounslow East station, with the first eastbound Piccadilly Line train due around 08:10. Looking at the screen, I noted that there was another train a few minutes behind, so could switch to that en route if the first train gets too busy. It was onboard a very busy and required pair 231+196 that already had the Heathrow passengers heading to central London already on board, with it getting busier along the way. Bailing at South Ealing to the train a few minutes behind, it was onboard the quieter and less busy required pair 218+239 straight to Leicester Square. Switching to the northbound Northern Line, I hopped onboard required 51725+665 straight to Camden Town and walked the short distance to the conference venue.

It is noted that during the mid-afternoon tea break (which was extended due to conference running slightly ahead of schedule), I took the opportunity to check into the Smart Camden hostel in Bayham Street so as to dump my backpack with one less task to do later (this is the rare instance I like triple bunks, as these are similar to the famous Marilyn Monroe movie “Some Like It Hot” in that they have curtains that can be drawn across for privacy. My preference is the centre bunk which I got, being it is just at the right height for me to make the bed and climb into, plus I am useless at limbo dancing for the bottom or top bunk.

When conference finished, I briefly nipped back to the hostel to dump some more paperwork then headed to Mornington Crescent arriving 17:05 to board required 51613+612 straight to Waterloo. As I would be concentrating on required trains and as I would be doing short hops, for easier readability I have listed the moves below similar to London Underground hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

455736 17:32 Waterloo – Clapham Junction
378222 17:46 Clapham Junction – Imperial Wharf
378231 18:01 Imperial Wharf – Clapham Junction
450121+570 18:18 Clapham Junction – Vauxhall
458501+528 18:28 Vauxhall – Waterloo (departed Platform 1 at Vauxhall)
450085+004+108 19:03 Waterloo – Clapham Junction (to Basingstoke and Alton)
458521+507 19:24 Clapham Junction – Waterloo
455914+852 19:47 Waterloo – Clapham Junction
455858+716 20:01 (actual) Clapham Junction – Putney (I pulled this connection off by making a huge sprint from Platform 11 to Platform 5)
455848 20:20 Putney – Isleworth (I forgot to bail at Barnes, so remained onboard to meet the next Waterloo bound train as the Sunday frequency is every 30 minutes)
455734 20:42 Isleworth – Barnes
455733+905 21:05 Barnes – Waterloo

Making my way to the northbound Northern Line, it was onboard required 51503+502 straight to Mornington Crescent. As I was in need of something hot to eat, I walked along Camden High Street and continued past the Stables Market. Eventually, I settled for a Dominoes veggie sizzler pizza from the branch near Chalk Farm underground station. After checking the frequency of the trains in both directions (every 6 minutes), I would wander off somewhere quiet (the bus stop on the main road that runs to Hampstead Heath) to consume the pizza. As it was now around 22:40, I decided against scoring some of the Edgware arm stations and being as I was at the bus stop, I noticed that the 168 would take me to Bayham Street, with the bus being a Borismaster.

I felt that it was a worthwhile evening session as I have reduced some more Class 455 and 458 requirements. A thought that came into my mind was that I have not seen any Class 456s about at all over the last few days, which seems quite strange. I have also landed a trio of required Class 450s, making a very tiny dent into the requirements of that fleet.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Odd you didn't see any 456s as the Sunday Hampton Court services are normally formed of 6 carriages (this is going back last year when I needed them, used to be 2x 455+456 & 2x 456+456+456 sets). No idea if SWR has changed this though.

Anyhow sounded like a productive evening on SWR, slowly knocking down your 455s

adrock1976

Established Member
Hunt for Class 387s, Anglia fleet reduction, and homeward bound 16 October

As I would be having a meeting at lunchtime along Holloway Road, I took the chance to do a few bits and pieces. After checking out around 07:00 I made the short walk to Mornington Crescent to immediately board the first southbound train as I was in a dash to get to Limehouse. It was required 51539+707 for the short run to Euston, rapidly changing to the Bank Branch to board dud 51513+514 straight to Bank. Heading over to the Docklands Light Railway platform rapidly, it was onboard required trio 34+30+54 for the run to Limehouse, arriving at around 07:50. Letting the next Fenchurch Street train go, I hung around just outside the gateline between the DLR eastbound and mainline London platform to see which trio of Class 387s would be on the 07:55 Fenchurch Street. This turned out to be a good judgement call as it was the even numbered trio that I required 387304+302+306, tapping my Oyster on the gateline and hopping on board to Fenchurch Street. I made my way to Tower Hill to board dud 21461+462 to Stepney Green, then a very busy and required 21565+566 to Aldgate East, and after letting the next Hammersmith train go as it was totally full, it was onboard dud 21399+400 to Liverpool Street. I stopped off at the Hamilton Hall Wetherspoons for a veggie breakfast and some tea.

Returning to the action and having seen some dud Class 317s at the buffer ends (as I was using Oyster, I did not want to persistently pass through the gateline every few minutes) I decided to see if any required Class 321s were around. First up was the 09:55 Southend Victoria formed of required trio 321431+439+429 for a run to Stratford, returning immediately to Liverpool Street on the 5 minutes delayed 10:01 formed of dud 321329+ required 432. After declining duds at the buffer ends, it was onboard the 11:13 Southend Victoria formed of required 321419 for another run to Stratford, and back to Liverpool Street on the 11:22 formed of required duo 321366+420. It is noted that I tap my Oyster on the freestanding validator on the platform, so as not to run out of time and confuse the Oyster system. As I now had to think about making my way either to Highbury & Islington, Holloway Road, or Drayton Park, I made my way to the Metropolitan platforms to board required 21435+436 for the short hop to Moorgate, transferring to the Northern City Line to board the 11:58 Welwyn Garden City formed of dud 313045 for some 1976 style motor noise to Drayton Park, where I walked the short distance to my meeting venue.

When my meeting finished at around 15:00, I decided to have another go at reducing my Anglia requirements, therefore it was to Drayton Park to board the 15:23 to Moorgate formed of dud pair 313056+063 (I only require 3 of the Brighton based Class 313s to clear). Making my way to the Metropolitan platforms, it was onboard required 21407+408 for the short hop to Liverpool Street. After noting various duds at the buffer ends, eventually it was onboard the 16:34 Braintree formed of dud from earlier 321419+ required 341 for a run to Stratford, returning back to Liverpool Street on the 16:46 ex Norwich Intercity formed of required 90005+ dud 82136 arriving 5-7 minutes behind schedule. I had time for one more run to Stratford and back, on the 17:15 Southend Victoria formed of dud pair 321434+318+ required 422, returning back to Liverpool Street on the 17:36 ex Colchester Town formed of required trio 360116+109+110. I made my way to the Metropolitan platforms for the very first westbound train to Euston Square, which was dud 21561+562 that did the honours for me.

Stopping off at the Sainsbury’s store to pick up some provisions, I made my way to Platform 13 for the 18:30 Glasgow Central via Trent Valley Railway, formed of dud 390155. On the approach to Stafford, the train reduced speed and was held for congestion to clear from an earlier signalling fault, with the train running 15 minutes behind schedule. Due to high winds, all trains were running at reduced speed going over Shap Fell (between Oxenholme and Penrith). There was an announcement that there was a tree that had fallen onto the line in the Lockerbie area, and further updates would be provided once the train has arrived at Carlisle. Of note, arrival at Carlisle was at 22:56 – 65 minutes behind schedule. It was announced that the train would be terminating here, with taxis arranged to transport passengers to their onward destinations. It was good of the traincrew to let the passengers remain onboard until taxis were on their way, with complementary tea and biscuits provided. The first few taxis had arrived at 23:30. Myself and three other passengers were in a taxi departing Carlisle at around 23:40, arriving Glasgow Central at around 01:25. I continued my journey home by the Glasgow Taxi Operators Association Hackney cab.

adrock1976

Established Member
First of all, my sincere apologies for the delay in posting this trip report. It is not my intention to beat fellow trip reporter fishquinn regarding the number of days that have lapsed since the actual event. My desktop computer's hard drive decided to give up the ghost, me coming down with a cold, my partner not being well, the dog having a stomach virus, and me doing seasonal work during December. I have got the hard drive replaced and have managed to transfer most of the recent files from iCloud and some older ones from a back up drive. The first report is below.

Northern Rail £10 newspaper offer 17 November

As I had some tokens for this promotional offer, my strategy was to make my way to Preston and switch to Northern Rail services there. It was an early rise and out of the door just after 05:05 to take the bus to Buchanan bus station and for the rapid pace to Glasgow Central station. The 05:50 London Euston via Birmingham was dud 221118, meaning that I can decline that at Lancaster later on. The 06:01 Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham was not a Voyager but was an IC125, with 43301 on the rear (I did not get the front powercar as I was still not properly awake yet, and forgot to look out for it when my intended went past). It was onboard the 05:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway formed of dud 390126 for the run to Lancaster, spotting 92010 at Carstairs to haul the Edinburgh portion of the sleeper, 68 (or 88 - it was still dark) x04 in the goods loop west of Platform 1 at Carlisle, and required 185104 on the Oxenholme-Windermere shuttle.

After nipping upstairs to trade in the tokens with the form plus £10, it was back down to the platform for the 6 minutes delayed 07:48 ex Barrow-in-Furness - Manchester Airport formed of not 3 coaches according to the screen, but a very heavily loaded and dud 156486 for the run to Preston, where it would terminate. Of note, the train terminated at Platform 6 at the Lancaster end of the platform, with there being 2 Class 185s coupled together at the London end of the platform to form the 08:13 to Manchester Airport (there are no trains between Preston and Blackpool due to engineering works to electrify the line. While at Preston, 150205+156471 was on the 08:20 Hazel Grove, 156455+156429 were in Platform 5 facing London, 350405+402 on the 08:25 ex Manchester Airport - Edinburgh Waverley, 319369 on the 08:30 Liverpool LS limited stop, 142042+045 in Platform 1, and 221103 at the North Union Railway platform.

Having purchased some tea and something light from one of the catering stalls at Platform 3+4, it was onboard the 08:37 York via Bradford formed of required 158905 for a run to somewhere east of the Pennines (I had not yet made my mind up where to bail). I was keeping an eye out for the trains heading in the opposite direction to see if any are required (I noted 2 dud 158s, so no need to do what I did last time which was short runs around the Halifax area to meet them). Eventually I decided to bail from the train at Micklefield, as I have yet to score the stations heading east to Selby. After alighting from the train at Micklefield, I checked the screen for the next few departures and noted that the 11:43 ex Preston - York was cancelled. It was onboard the 10 minutes delayed 11:10 ex Leeds - Selby formed of dud 144002 for the short run to South Milford, and back to Leeds around 35 minutes later on the same train.

Making my way over to the Wellington side of the station (Platforms 1 to 6) to have a look at what would be on the 12:49 Carlisle via Appleby, I was happy being rewarded with required 158850 which I had a run to Hellifield on it, spotting 66702 at Skipton hauling Tarmac wagons in the Leeds direction. As the southbound train is timetabled to depart a minute before the northbound train, this is one of these rapid station scores that can either work out or totally fail. However, the southbound train was around 12 minutes delayed, and was dud therefore there was no requirement to have a quick run to Gargrave. It was onboard the 14:15 ex Leeds - Morecambe formed of dud pair 153304+142033 for a countryside style bus stop bash to Long Preston, with me picking up some provisions from the post office store along the main road. I headed back to Leeds on the 10 minutes delayed 14:41 ex Morecambe - Leeds formed of required 142020, spotting 66765 at Copley Hill/Whitehall Junctions hauling Tarmac Nacco in the London direction.

Having checked the big board of departures, I spotted a chance of a microgrice from Platform 7 on the 15:52 Selby, and was formed of required 144013+ dud 155342 for a run to East Garforth. I made my way over to the opposite platform for the 7 minutes delayed 16:13 ex Selby - Huddersfield via Bradford formed of dud 144021 for the run to Halifax. It was then onboard the 10 minutes delayed 17:27 ex Leeds - Manchester Victoria formed of dud pair 142088+155344 for the run to Walsden, arriving 15 minutes behind schedule. Being as the next Manchester Victoria was dud, it was over to the Leeds platform for the 7 minutes delayed ex Manchester Victoria - Blackburn via Todmorden formed of dud 142030 for the run to Accrington. After nipping to the Tesco store adjacent to the station to pick up some provisions, it was onboard the 17 minutes delayed ex York - Preston formed of required 158758 for the run to Preston.

I rapidly made a dash from Platform 2 to Platform 4c to board the 5 minutes delayed 20:01 Colne formed of dud 150149 for a run to Bamber Bridge with me being at the front set of doors as there is a level crossing with no footbridge to cross the tracks. Having immediately made my way over to the Preston platform, it was onboard the 20:23 ex Colne formed of required 150132 back to Preston, arriving into Platform 4c meaning that I have scored the microgrice in both directions (not bad for a platform that does not get used often).

Of the observations here before heading back home, 185136+147 was at Platform 3 on the 35 minutes delayed 20:10 Manchester Airport, 390146 (dud) on the 20:42 Glasgow Central, 153351+304 in Platform 5, 150271 on the 20:50 Manchester Victoria, 350404 on the 20:48 Manchester Airport, 390107 on the 20:58 London Euston, 158885 arriving from York in Platform 1, and 66186 in the disused Platform 7 with its headlamps facing London. I returned to Glasgow Central onboard the 12 minutes delayed 20:53, which to my surprise was formed of required 390134, arriving Glasgow Central 4 minutes behind schedule at 23:21. Making my way to Queen Street, it was onboard the 23:34 to Barnhill formed of dud 318263.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I forgot that platform 4C at Preston is in use most of the day now with the Blackpool block.

Sounded like a productive day on Northern Mr Adam :)

adrock1976

Established Member
London bits 02 December

First of all, I would like to apologise again for the delay in posting this report, as I was in my seasonal work and unsuccessfully attempting to recover some of the data on my previous hard drive. There is more chance of Elvis Presley being found alive and well than my previous hard drive booting. Ironically, the only 2 files I forgot to upload to cloud storage before the hard drive well and truly gave up were my bashing plans and the calculation of the rail mileages I have done, with both of the most recent being done in September. All of my other files were up to date to the end of October, so I was able to work out various aspects of the bashing trips very easily, which seems strange how I forgot about copying both the aforementioned files.

After finishing my shift the previous evening and having nipped back home briefly to collect my backpack, it was on whichever bus arrived first to take me into Glasgow. I was fortunate that it was the 57 which would save me walking from Buchanan bus station amongst al the Friday night revellers. It was over to Platform 9 for the 23:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway sleeper train, of which 87002 “Royal Sovereign” had done the duties of bringing in the stock from Polmadie. According to the Real Time Trains website, there was a delay of some sort around the Milton Keynes area, with the train eventually arriving into Platform 15 (rather than Platform 1) at Euston at 08:06 (50 minutes or so behind schedule). It is noted that I was offered some cereal and a delay repay form before the train arrived at Euston. After alighting, I made my way to the Underground, noting that required 90016 (leading) was surprisingly coupled up to (also required) 92043 that was dead in tow (unsure if that was totally switched off or if any auxillary power was being supplied to the coaches).

Having made my way to the northbound Victoria Line platform, it was onboard required 11078+077 which was the 6th attempt to Highbury & Islington (before today, I require 13 sets to clear the fleet). I then crossed to the adjacent face of the island platform to board the 08:42 to Drayton Park formed of dud pair 313061+060 and onwards to Manor Gardens where my meeting was being held.

After the meeting and some socialising at The Coronet, it was to Holloway Road for the Piccadilly Line and linear hops to Holborn, as I fancied some Central Line action before heading to Liverpool Street so as to see what BR built stock requirements I can grab. For easy readability, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold.

139+170 Holloway Road - Caledonian Road
203+862/3 Caledonian Road - Kings Cross
122+197 Kings Cross - Russell Square
180+159 Russell Square - Holborn

Central Line:

91035+92256+92154+91161 Holborn - Chancery Lane (unfortunate that the first set was dud)
91157+92178+92412+911x4 Chancery Lane - St Paul's (unsure of middle digit)
91127+92002+92226+91223 St Paul's - Bank
91197+92134+92096+91225 Bank - Liverpool Street

I went upstairs to the main station to see if anything would be required.

321442+424 19:48 Liverpool Street - Stratford (to Braintree)
321339+350 19:39 (43 minutes delayed due to a broken down freight train) Stratford - Liverpool Street

London Underground:

91259+92114+92170+91087 Liverpool Street - St Paul's
91337+92188+92444+91081 St Paul's - Chancery Lane
91141+92032+92082+91301 Chancery Lane - Holborn
91257+92022+92258+91139 Holborn - Tottenham Court Road

Switch to Northern Line:

51630+720 (6th attempt) Tottenham Court Road - Goodge Street
51588+714 (2nd attempt) Goodge Street - Warren Street
51718+616 Warren Street - Euston

I started to head towards my accommodation between Harlesden and Stonebridge Park stations by means of switching to heavy rail metals. It was onboard the 10 minutes delayed 21:37 Watford Junction LO formed of dud 378222 to Kilburn High Road, the 22:04 Watford Junction formed of required 378229 to South Kenton, and finally a southbound Bakerloo Line train to Harlesden on dud pair 3253+3534. I made my way to the accommodation that I was booked into, which was the Bridge Park Hotel along the main Harrow Road to check in and settle down for the evening.

Stay tuned for Sunday's installment

adrock1976

Established Member
London bits 03 December

As both of the meetings of the groups that I am involved with were not meeting today, I had an unexpected extended spell of an attempt to reduce my requirements. Owing to me having an Advance fare booked on the 17:05 Euston – Liverpool Lime Street (which calls at Nuneaton), I decided to switch my focus to south of the mighty Thames and see how I get on there. After having had breakfast and being not in a rapid dash, I checked out at around 11:15 for the 10 minute walk to Harlesden station. As there were engineering works this morning, the London Overground London Euston – Watford Junction trains were curtailed to terminate/start from Willesden Junction, however, the Bakerloo Line of London Underground was running. First up it was onboard the first southbound Bakerloo formed of dud pair 3265+3536 for the short run to Willesden Junction, then over to Platform 2 for the 11:52 Euston formed of required 378202 for a run to South Hampstead, having completed all of the stations between Euston and Watford Junction. It was immediately over the footbridge to the northbound platform to board the 12:02 formed of required 378230 for the short run to Queens Park, then on a southbound Bakerloo to Waterloo on dud 3258+ required 3544.

Making my way upstairs to the main station, I checked the screen for the next set of departures, with the intention of seeing if any Class 455, 456, and 458s were required. As I would mainly be doing short runs and for easy readability, I have listed the moves below similar to linear hops on London Underground with requirements highlighted in bold.

456016+023+015 12:57 Waterloo – Vauxhall (this train continues to Hampton Court)
455736+702 13:14 Vauxhall – Surbiton
455861+456004 13:43 Surbiton – Berrylands
456021+455740 13:56 Berrylands – Surbiton
455710+848 14:06 Surbiton – Esher
455750+701 14:25 Esher – Surbiton
455870+902 14:32 Surbiton – Clandon via Cobham
455719+718 15:02 Clandon – Surbiton via Cobham
455701+750 15:36 Surbiton – Hersham
455872+863 15:52 Hersham – Surbiton
450036+563 16:10 Surbiton – Waterloo

It was downstairs to the northbound Northern Line platform to go straight to Euston onboard required 51684+683. Having made my way upstairs to the main station and with 10 minutes to spare, I quickly made my way to the Sainsbury’s store and back to the concourse with the 17:05 Liverpool Lime Street still not allocated a platform but displaying “Delayed”. At around 17:03, this train had disappeared off the screen. It then reappeared a couple of minutes later and displayed the platform. Making my way to Platform 15, it was onboard dud 390135 with me taking my position in the First Class coach that I had booked. The train departed 7 minutes behind schedule, with the announcement from the guard that the train had been declassified. However, one of the First Class catering crew made an announcement a few minutes later that for First Class passengers, there would be no trolley service due to short staff from earlier disruption and that the complimentary refreshments would be served with each coach of passengers being called at a time to collet them. I did eventually get some refreshments when the coach I was in had been called.

As my intention was to bail at Nuneaton to see if my final required London Midland dogbox (153364) would be on the Nuneaton – Coventry shuttle. Arrival at Nuneaton was at 18:10 (having not really made up any time) and after alighting, I could see that it was dud 153354 all by itself (I was expecting a pair) that was on the 18:11 Coventry that had just departed. It is noted that there was an RMT strike on Crosscountry, hence how the 18:09 Birmingham New Street was cancelled, as was the 19:09. It was onboard the 18:40 ex London Euston – Crewe via Stoke-on-Trent formed of dud 350104 to Stafford, then the 19:25 ex Euston – Liverpool Lime Street formed of dud 390141 to Crewe having spotted 70015 hauling containers northbound through Platform 12, and finally onboard the 12 minutes delayed 20:09 ex Euston – Glasgow Central via Birmingham formed of dud pair 221104+142 that I would have picked up at either Coventry or Birmingham New Street for the run to Glasgow Central, arriving 25 minutes behind schedule at 23:47.

Overall, I felt that this was a worthwhile exercise as I got to reduce some London Underground requirements (in particular, the Central Line as it can be tricky to record the sets) on the Saturday evening. As both of my meetings were not taking place on the Sunday, this meant that I could spend some time south of the mighty Thames and concentrate on reducing my Class 455 and 456 requirements. I have also scored some new track between Surbiton and Clandon via Cobham, meaning that of the former London & South Western Railway routes, I only require Clandon – Guildford, and the Effingham Junction – Leatherhead, and Epsom – Dorking and Horsham that is partly shared with the former London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway. Also of note, 153364 still eludes me, but I may have another chance in 2017 when I visit my mum over the festive period.

adrock1976

Established Member
Festive bashing 24 and 27 December

Having found the sheet of paper I used a few days ago, here are the details of the trip to and from visiting my mum. Due to the line between Lancaster and Preston being closed for engineering works on both days, I decided that I would not do anything too complicated, apart from having a quick run to Coventry to see if my final London Midland (sic) dog box 153364 would be on the Coventry-Nuneaton shuttle. Furthermore, if I had time on the 27th, I would attempt to score the new track between Birmingham Snow Hill and Grand Central for New Street on the Midland Metro tram system.

24 December

Having set out the door with various luggage at 13:10, it was a short walk down the road to Barnhill station for the 13:28 Dumbarton Central formed of dud 334034 for the short run to Glasgow Queen Street. Walking across to Central, it was on the 13:55 Lancaster formed of dud 390127, spotting 66194+103 at Kingmoor, alongside with 66013,018,001, and 37403. Arrival at Lancaster saw the train routed into Platform 3 where it terminated, possibly scoring a microgrice of the crossover. 156443 and 156481 were spotted in Platforms 1 and 2 respectively.

It was out to the forecourt on the Carlisle side of the station to await the replacement bus to Preston, scheduled to depart at 16:25. This was operated by Red Rose Travel who are based in Blackburn. The bus departed on time, arriving at Preston at 17:09. It was over to Platform 3 for the 17:17 southbound (this would normally be the 14:52 Edinburgh Waverley-London Euston via Birmingham) formed of dud 390114 for the southbound run to Wolverhampton, where I bailed. Soon, I hopped onboard the 18:41 ex Manchester Piccadilly - Eastleigh formed of dud pair 220031+014 for the run to Coventry, with the guard soon announcing that the 19:12 Birmingham - Bristol TM had been cancelled and giving details of alternative arrangements.

After bailing at Coventry, I hung about to see what would be on the 19:39 Nuneaton. Having spotted that it was dud pair 153365+354 (only one digit out for both), I headed straight back to Birmingham NS on the 19:42 ex London Euston-Manchester Piccadilly via Crewe which was formed of dud 390013. I then made my way to my mum's via the 87 to Dudley and the 243 after a 25 minute wait at the bus station.

27 December

Having set off from my mum's at around 12:30, I felt like a slight change and decided to get the 124 bus to Cradley Heath which was my former local station where everything railway related began for me back in 1988. It was onboard the 13:04 ex Stourbridge Junction-Stratford upon Avon via Shirley formed of dud pair 172218+220 (I require 172333+338 to clear) to Jewellery Quarter spotting 66051 hauling ballast wagons northbound on the former London & North Western Railway route that crosses the line above between The Hawthorns and Jewellery Quarter at around 13:20. Switching to the trams, it was onboard 35 to Handsworth Booth Street, 27 to Soho Benson Road, 36 to Winson Green Outer Circle, and as time was getting on, straight to Grand Central for New Street on 29 scoring the new track of the extension, having arrived at 13:52.

Having briefly nipped to the Tesco store at the junction of New Street and Temple Street, it was onboard the 7 minutes delayed 14:07 ex London Euston-Preston formed of much to my surprise required 390141 "City of Chester", with the train being routed via the original route of the former Grand Junction Railway that runs via Aston and Bescot due to the route via Smethwick being closed for engineering works. It is noted that the last time I did this route in daylight between Birmingham and Wolverhampton was back in 1990 when I was on a trip to Chester via Shrewsbury. During the course of the journey, 60x29 was spotted at Bescot, the train was routed rather surprisingly via Searchlight Lane Junction between Stafford and Crewe, and 66176 was spotted at Arpley Yard next to Warrington Bank Quay.

After arriving at Preston, it was out via Platform 7 to the car park side to await the replacement bus to Lancaster. I felt that there could have been better management of the queuing system so as to have kept the Blackpool and Lancaster passengers separate. I did get on the first bus that was for Lancaster, branded "The Travellers Choice" operated by John Shaw & Son based at Carnforth. Departure from Preston was on schedule at 16:14, arriving the Carlisle side of Lancaster station at 17:01. Having rapidly made my way over to Platform 4 after collecting my rucksack from the hold, it was onboard the exact same train I had on this leg the other day, being dud 390127 for the run to Glasgow Central. I made my way over to Queen Street for the 20:04 formed of dud 334017 to take me home to Barnhill.

Although 153364 still eludes me at the end of 2017 and as the exact same dud pair of dog boxes would most likely have been on the Coventry-Nuneaton shuttle on the 27th (unscientific observation based on 2016's experience on the 24 and 27 December), I switched to scoring a couple of stops on the tram system and scoring the new track of the extended section in Birmingham. As I did not expect to land any requirements of heavy rail haulages, I was surprised that the Birmingham NS - Preston leg was a required Class 390, meaning that I only require 3 to clear.

Postscript: I have not done any bashing trips in January or February 2018 owing to me not being well, my partner not being well, the dog having had an upset tummy at the beginning of the year, me being in my seasonal work slightly longer than expected, and the recent inclement weather. I do intend to be on the rails agin very soon.

Last edited:

Established Member
Grand stuff.
One thing, though - I presume your mention of 37433 is a typo.
Whilst it would be nice to think some more 37/4s have been created, I'm guessing it was 37403.
Sorry to hear about the various ailments that have restricted your movements - hope you, your partner and your dog are all feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.