• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
So you can use a Southern Daysave on the Gatex between Brighton and Gatwick? That's useful to know.

It's all one operator along the line: Govia Thameslink Railway.

I had based the usage of the Daysave the last time I done one, which was in 2015 when the 442s were on the Express.

Anyway, due to the not so good implementation of the timetable for the Thameslink routes, at the time I did the Daysave in July, ticket acceptance was in place for all of the various colour/brand trains south of the Thames. I did not have any issue with the GX, as there appeared to be no onboard staff apart from the driver.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
Explore North and Mid Wales Rover 14-18 August

Intro

In some of my previous reports where I have made references to the only bit of the former Great Western Railway track that was required for coverage is the Cambrian Railway section west of Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli, which may seem surprising as that could have been a simple and straightforward task when I used to reside in my native West Midlands. I also required the track west from Llandudno Junction to Holyhead, and south of the Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog as I have already covered the track to Llandudno back in 1988 on a Class 115/116 from Birmingham New Street. I have already covered the track of the Great Orme Tramway back then, but for some unknown reason I never made a note of the tramcars that I had for haulage, and do not have that much of a photographic memory if it was the exact same tramcars I came back down the hill on or if I had all 4 that are still in service since the tramway was constructed.

Back in March/April, I had made some draft plans to cover the above mentioned bits of track, plus making use of the discount that is available on the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway to get between Porthmadog and Blaenau Ffestiniog. These were very ambitious plans as for an exercise, I arranged it to see if it was possible to score every station to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli. I found that it is theoretically possible to do so, but this would involve using the overnight sleeper to Crewe, the trains running to time and relying on bus moves between some of the stations. It should be noted that I had based these plans on booking accommodation in Barmouth for this to work. Furthermore, I had an alternative plan that would involve the Cambrian Coast Day Ranger and the North Wales zonal ticket, with the first day being from Crewe – Machynlleth – Pwllheli – Dyfi Junction – Aberystwyth – Shrewsbury – Chester, then PSUL move from Bidston to Wrexham General Platform 3. The second day would be Chester – Holyhead – Blaenau Ffestiniog – Llandudno – Great Orme Tramway – Chester – and homeward bound.

With me having decided upon the second option a few weeks prior to the trip, I had booked the Advance fares Dalmuir – Crewe, and Preston – Barnhill, plus Chester – Preston single. As I had not yet sorted out accommodation at that point, and as mentioned in one of my previous posts, my partner had sprained her ankle with me having to subsequently do various amounts of running around. There was a slight change of plan as my partner had mentioned to me that with all the running around I had been doing, and combined with that I never went on any rail trips in January and February due to the inclement weather, it was my partner’s insistence that I went on a 4 day trip so as to make the most of things while I was there, meaning that I could do the North and Mid Wales Rover.

My next task was to sort out accommodation and having checked out options in Barmouth, it seemed a bit steep as to be expected in July/August with less than a couple of weeks before the intended check in date. I tried Aberystwyth, with the prices for accommodation being reasonable for the time of year for 2 nights. The third night would be in Chester as originally planned. I had revised the plans of the bashing trip, and I found that I could still manage to very ambitiously score all of the stations – again, I would have to rely on the trains running to time, and with the buses running to time for the various bus moves I had identified. The only additional tickets I had left to sort out online was 2 lots of Chester – Shrewsbury singles, and a Chester – Preston single, with me redeeming a Delay Repay voucher and using that towards the Rover that can be done at either Glasgow Queen Street or Central, or Crewe or Shrewsbury if need be.

Day 1 – Outward bound to Aberystwyth and some request stops 14 August

Having set out the previous night just after 22:40 for the short walk to Barnhill, it was on the 22:55 Balloch via Yoker formed of dud 334037 for the run to Dalmuir. Around 20 minutes later it was on the 5 minutes delayed 23:52 ex Fort William – London Euston sleeper with this portion being hauled by dud 73967 (same loco I had back in April, which was also dud then) as far as Edinburgh Waverley via Westerton and Airdrie. Being as I was in the seats, this meant that I had to alight at Edinburgh and walk along the same platform face from 19 to 2 to use the seated coach in the portion that has arrived from Aberdeen. 670xx had hauled the portion from Inverness, which would couple up to both the portions that had arrived from Aberdeen and Fort William. Of note, the electric loco that would be hauling all three coupled portions to London was dud 92033. I did manage to get a couple of naps after the train left Edinburgh 20 minutes or so behind schedule at 01:58, with arrival into Platform 6 at Crewe being on schedule at 05:36 having made up the time that was lost at Edinburgh. I am still convinced that slumming it in the seats would only be done as a last resort, as my body is not as physically flexible as it was compared to when I was in my twenties and thirties.

Having spotted 220016 on the 05:47 ex Manchester Piccadilly – Bournemouth, it was time to purchase some tea from the Upper Crust outlet on the island platforms 6 to 11 before boarding the 05:58 Carmarthen via Cardiff and Swansea from Platform 11 formed of dud 175110 for the run to Shrewsbury, calling at all stations along the way. After alighting at Shrewsbury, I made use of the 40 minute fester to change into some fresh garments in the toilets on the island platform. I would like to mention here that the section of route west of Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli is solely Class 158s, as out of the Wales fleet, those are the only trains that are equipped with the European Railway Traffic Management System (ERTMS) signalling equipment, and that I require 9 of the Wales Class 158s to clear. The other 15 that I have had for haulage were between Cardiff and Fishguard Harbour in 2015, a couple on the Maesteg route in 2017, and some between Smethwick Galton Bridge and Birmingham New Street when I was chasing after one of the required 139s on the Stourbridge Junction – Stourbridge Town shuttle in the summer of 2016, and 153s on the Coventry – Nuneaton shuttle.As I have yet to cover the track west of Shrewsbury, I was intentionally saving my required 158s for that.

Anyway, it was to Platform 6 for the 07:27 ex Birmingham – Aberystwyth formed of dud 158823 for the run to Dyfi Junction gricing the Down Loop there, and having spotted 66847 at Coleham Depot just after departing Shrewsbury. After the hike along Platform 2 to Platform 1, it was onboard the 08:58 ex Machynlleth – Pwllheli formed of required 158837 for a run to Llandanwg (request stop, there were also several passengers who required that stop), having pulled it back from the next stop Harlech as the train had accumulated a 7 minute delay, and bearing in mind I had a backpack with the train being busy (it felt like I was back home in the West Midlands, as it seemed everybody from there had flocked to Barmouth), I did not feel confident in being able to leg it over the footbridge at Harlech to meet the train heading in the opposite direction as that one is due to arrive at Harlech first.

It was onboard the 10:34 ex Pwllheli formed of dud 158825 for a run to another request stop Tonfanau, where there did not seem to be a great deal around the vicinity of the station (which explains how I was the sole passenger who alighted, with nobody boarding). After around a 15 minute fester, it was onboard the slightly delayed 11:33 Pwllheli formed of dud 158820 for a run to Duffryn Ardudwy, with the train having arrived 6 minutes behind schedule. It is noted that my intention was to rapidly walk to Talybont, with the option of a bus if need be. I hung around at the bus stop on the main road, and according to the timetable, there was one due at 12:26. I gave it 5 minutes until after the scheduled time and with no sign of the bus approaching, I went back to the station to hop onboard the slightly delayed 12:41 ex Pwllheli formed of recent dud (as expected as I had it earlier) 158837 to another request stop, this time Llwyngwril, arriving 9 minutes behind schedule.

It was a 25 minute fester here before boarding the 8 minutes delayed 13:35 Pwllheli formed of required 158832 for a run to the request stop of Talybont so as not to leave that one hanging. It is noted that my intention was to bail at Llanaber and walk to Barmouth for this move. Arrival at Talybont was 5 minutes behind schedule, having made up 3 minutes after departing Barmouth. Around 35 minutes later, it was onboard the slightly delayed 14:44 ex Pwllheli formed of as expected the return of 158820 for the run straight to Machynlleth, where I exited the station to walk to the bus stop on the main road for the TrawsCymru T2 to Aberystwyth. It is noted that there is a gap in the traintimetable, hence the reason I switched to the bus. The bus was due at 16:09, but was delayed 5 minutes or so, with the bus being operated by Lloyds Coaches. It was a run along the A487 to Aberystwyth, arriving at the station just before 17:00 and after alighting, I made my way to the Llwynygog Guest House along Queens Road to check in and dump the backpack.

Having got rid of some weight, it was back on the rails to board the 17:30 Birmingham International formed of required 158819 for a run to Machynlleth, where I left the station for a brief wander around town. It was back to the station to see if the 18:49 Aberystwyth portion would be required, and indeed it was as I hopped onboard 158839 for the bus stop bash Powys style to Dyfi Junction, again gricing the Down Loop. I then had a very gentle saunter from the Aberystwyth end of Platform 2 to Platform 1 to board the 19:10 Pwllheli that I knew was formed of dud 158836 as I already saw that portion at Machynlleth when the train divided there. I bailed at Aberdyfi, and around 15 minutes or so later it was onboard the 19:40 ex Pwllheli on dud from earlier 158837 to Machynlleth, where the train terminated.

Remaining on the same platform, it was soon onboard the 20:11 ex Aberystwyth – Birmingham for a run to Newtown (Powys) on now dud from earlier 158839. I returned back to Machynlleth on the 21:08 Aberystwyth formed of dud 158838, walking along the platform for the front train that was the 21:47 Pwllheli formed of once again dud 158837 (the fourth time I’ve landed that one today) for a run to the request stop of Penhelig. After a 20 minute fester, I returned to Machynlleth on the 23:07 formed of dud 158823, nipped to the Co-op store at the garage near the station for something cold and wet, then returned to Aberystwyth on the 23:07 formed of the return of dud 158839 and settled down for the night.

Overall, I have covered a lot of new track today between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth, and also along the coast to Llandanwg. I have scored some request stops along the coast, plus I have managed to land 4 of the required Class 158s.

Stay tuned for Days 2 to 4.

Established Member
An excellent report.
Once again, I'm reminded of a move that I've been threatening to do for a couple of years but not got around to.
I must hit the Pwllheli line again soon.

adrock1976

Established Member
Day 2 – Track coverage to Pwllheli, request stops, and failed bus moves 15 August

The main aim of today was to try to score some of the stations I missed out doing yesterday, plus completing the track to Pwllheli. My original plan was to take a run to Llandanwg, which I substituted yesterday in place of Harlech, head to Fairbourne, walk to Morfa Mawddach, then all the way to Pwllheli. I would head to Tygwyn, bus to Talsarnau, train to Abererch, onwards to Penrhyndeudraeth, walk to Llandecwyn, train to Penychain, bus to Cricceith, train to Pensarn, gentle stroll to Llanbedr, train to Minffordd, and back to Machynleth for the train to Aberystwyth. I would see how the day would progress, as I could switch a couple of moves around, however, I would have to rely on buses appearing and for the trains to run to time. When I finalised the plans, I had identified a bus move between Pensarn and Llanbedr off the 08:52 ex Machynlleth, but it was due a couple of minutes after the train would arrive at Pensarn, therefore I was not expecting to pull of this move. If need be, I would be happy to drop the passing loop stations (Tywyn, Barmouth, and Harlech, with me intending to score Porthmadog tomorrow as I will be walking across town to the harbour for the Ffestiniog Railway) and concentrate on scoring the request stop stations where the bus service seems to be sparse at some of them.

After a good night’s sleep, I was out of the door just after 08:15 for the walk to the station, with me having already put my cagoule on as there were heavy showers. It was soon onboard required 158841 that was on the 08:30 Birmingham International for the run to Dyfi Junction, where it was a simple transfer to Platform 1 to await the 7 minutes delayed 08:58 Pwllheli formed of dud and what seems like a serial stalker 158837 for the run to the request stop of Pensarn, with the train regaining time after departing Barmouth, arriving on schedule at 10:15. This is where I would attempt an unlikely bus move to Llanbedr, as it is due to arrive at 10:18. Having fastened the gate when leaving the platform, I made my way to the main road to locate the bus stop, and just before I reached the end of the road from the station, I saw the bus approaching and with nobody waiting at the stop, I knew it was going to sail by, which it did.

Anyway, I returned to the platform (there was still showers) to await the 10:37 ex Pwllheli for the run to Fairbourne on dud 158835. As I was originally going to walk to Morfa Mawddach, I abandoned that and got some tea and something light from the store adjacent to the station. When I returned to the platform, there was a group of 5 young lads who were on the Outward Bound Trust having completed a walking activity going by the very large Ordnance Survey map they had. It was soon onboard the 11:49 ex Birmingham International for the run all the way to Pwllheli on dud 158824, where I had a quick wander around town to a pet shop to pick up some dog treats and back to the station to get a tea before boarding the same train that was due to depart at 13:38. Around 40 minutes or so later, I bailed from the train via the local door (short platform) at the request stop Tygwyn to attempt another bus move.

I had left the station via the level crossing for the walk along to the bus stop at the junction with the main road arriving 5 minutes later just before 14:25. When I checked out the bus times, the Traveline website had stated that it was due at 14:26, but upon checking the timetable poster at the stop, it had it departing at 14:31. Being as I had a 6 minute walk at the other end to reach Talsarnau station, and with the train due there at 14:37, I felt it would be sailing a bit too close to the wind, therefore I decided to head back gently to Tygwyn station at 14:29, with the bus passing me when I was halfway to the station. Upon reaching the platform and having checked the screen, I noticed that the train that was due at 14:35 was delayed by a few minutes, and I was left kicking myself that had I hung around at the bus stop for a couple of minutes more, I would have been able to have pulled this move off after all due to the train being delayed.

It was onboard the aforementioned delayed 14:35 after signalling for the driver to stop, with me getting wet as the showers had turned into a heavy downpour. It was dud 158833 that would be my chariot to another request stop, this time Abererch. It is noted that it was my intention to hang about for the train to come back and bail at Penrhyndeudraeth and walk to Llandecwyn, but decided to get Talsarnau out of the way so as not to leave that one hanging. Furthermore, I had also identified a possible bus move to Penychain so as get that done out of the way. After alighting from the train, I had made my way to the bus stop near the main road, which would be due at 15:25. Having hung around at the bus stop until 15:32 and with no sign of the bus arriving, I headed back to the station to re-board 158833 that was on the 15:40 ex Pwllheli to the request stop Talsarnau.

After a fester of around 25 minutes and with it being light drizzle, it was onboard the 6 minutes delayed 16:35 Pwllheli with the chariot this time being dud 158823 for the run to Penychain (pronounced “Pen-oo-kyan” according to the automated announcements), which is/was the site of the Butlins caravan park, now run by Haven. Having alighted from the train, I walked along the footpath to the main road for a planned bus move to Cricceith with the Arriva 3B being due at 17:20, arriving at Cricceith just over 20 minutes before the train would be due. I had hung around at the bus stop until 17:35 and with no sign of the bus arriving (it must have either been early, delayed, or missing) I made my way back to the station platform to re-board 158823 on the 17:48 ex Pwllheli for a run to somewhere, which that somewhere would have been Tywyn (which I would have been intending to do tomorrow). It is noted that my original intention here was to have bailed at Pensarn, with me having a gentle stroll to Llanbedr, but having done Pensarn earlier, I had initially decided upon Tywyn, but before boarding the train I had decided upon bailing at Llanaber so as not to leave that request stop hanging. Arrival at Llanaber was 7 minutes behind schedule at 18:58, which gave me just over an hour before a Pwllheli train would be due.

Eventually, I reached the main road after exiting the station via the steep footpath, and the heavy showers had started again. I went for a brief wander along the main road in the Barmouth direction until I found a place for a bite to eat and a tea, having spotted a sandwich board sign at the entrance to the Hendre Coed Isaf caravan park that advertised meals were served. My luck was in, as I was able to be slotted in as it was a busy evening, and having had a vegetable pasta bake that was served with some salad and potato wedges, and a pot of tea, it was a gentle stroll back to the station in the light showers to board the 20:08 Pwllheli formed of dud 158824 for a run to Penrhyndeudraeth. It is noted that my original intention was to take this train to Minffordd and meet the Machynlleth bound train there as these are the ones that pass each other at Porthmadog.

Having alighted from the train, I then walked over the road bridge to the request stop Llandecwyn, and with the showers becoming heavy, I was greeted with the platform screen displaying the 21:06 Machynlleth was delayed by 25 minutes. The automated announcements appeared to be stuck in a loop until the train arrived. Eventually, it was onboard perennial and evergreen dud 158837 for the run to Dyfi Junction (my intention was to head all the way to Machynlleth, but due to the delay there would only be 1 minute to switch platforms there, as the ex Birmingham – Aberystwyth was running to time that is helped by a 35-40 minute layover at Shrewsbury), having made up 4 or 5 minutes upon arrival. I hung around in the shelter until 5 minutes before the 23:13 Aberystwyth was due and had a gentle stroll along to the far end of Platform 2 beyond the point where the Down Loop rejoins the running line, and hopped onboard dud 158838 for the run to Aberystwyth and settle for the night. It is noted that having checked online, the ex Pwllheli arrived into Platform 1, with the Aberystwyth train departing Platform 2 at Machynlleth.

Overall, I have covered all of the track to Pwllheli, which means that as things presently stand, I have also completed all of the track of the former Great Western Railway routes that has scheduled passenger services, with my start point being the former Stourbridge Railway (which was a constituent part of the GWR) and my then local station of Cradley Heath back in 1988. Note the phrase “as things presently stand”, as should if the extension of the Midland Metro trams eventually progress, there will be the section of the former heavy rail route between Stourbridge Junction and Dudley that was once part of the former Oxford, Worcester, & Wolverhampton Railway that became a constituent part of the GWR.

Also, I did not have much luck with the various bus moves today, but settled upon concentrating to get the request stops done out of the way so as not to leave those hanging for a future visit, plus I got 1 more required 158.

Stay tuned for Days 3 and 4.

adrock1976

Established Member
Day 3 – Onwards to Holyhead and Chester via Ffestiniog Railway 16 August

The aim of today was to move onwards towards the North Coast via the Ffestiniog Railway, have a run to Holyhead and onwards to Chester to check in, then onwards to Wrexham General for a walk to Gwersyllt for the last ex Bidston – Wrexham General that terminates in Platform 3, which is a PSUL move via the link between the former Wrexham, Mold, & Connah’s Quay Railway (London & North Eastern) and the Shrewsbury & Chester Railway (Great Western). Having checked out just before 07:15, I had the brief wander to the station and was soon onboard the 07:30 Birmingham International formed of dud 158838 for the run to Borth. I returned back to Aberystwyth on the 08:06 formed of dud 158832 and onwards to Dyfi Junction on the 08:30 departure. Being as I had 2 request stops hanging along the coast and deciding to get those done out of the way, I foregone my original intention of taking the 08:58 Pwllheli to Tywyn and the 09:27 ex Pwllheli to Machynlleth for a 50 minute fester.

It was soon onboard the aforementioned 08:58 Pwllheli formed of dud 158823 for a run to the request stop Llanbedr, where I had around a 25 minute fester to board the 10:38 ex Pwllheli for the run to Barmouth on dud 158839. Having picked up some provisions from the adjacent Co-op store, I had a gentle stroll over Barmouth Bridge along the footpath that is adjacent to the railway to reach the request stop station Morfa Mawddach (formerly Barmouth Junction in a previous life before the routethat ran to Ruabon via Dolgellau and Llangollen was closed in the 1960s) at 11:40 – 5 minutes or so before the train was due. I hopped onboard the 11:50 Pwllheli and it was dud 158820 that did the honours in taking me for the run to Porthmadog (Portmadoc before 1974), with arrival being 10 minutes behind schedule at 13:01 due to the train being held at Harlech as the train heading in the opposite direction had somebody onboard who had taken ill. It is noted that I have scored all of the request stops along the coastal line, and the only normal stop stations I have left hanging are Cricceith, Minffordd, Harlech, and Tywyn that I can do in the future.

I walked across town via High Street to Porthmadog Harbour station and got the discounted ticket with no problems at all. I made my way to the platform for the 13:35 Blaenau Ffestiniog, which was being hauled by “Merddin Emrys” with “Blanche” hauling the Caernarfon train on the Welsh Highland Railway.I took up a position in the second coach behind the locomotive, which was a Two-compartment 4-wheel 3rd replica of the 1868 Ashbury 4-wheeler that was originally built at the FR Boston Lodge Works. Halfway along the route, Tan-y-Bwlch station was reached to take on some water, with “David Lloyd George” hauling the second train south to Porthmadog. Soon after departing Tan-y-Bwlch, Dduallt station (request stop) was soon passed through ready to climb the steep elevation above via the spiral loop that is unique in the UK, and also soon passing Tanygrisiau Reservoir that generates hydro electricity. Of note, I would like to strictly mention this to readers that if travelling the Ffestiniog Railway, do keep all body parts inside the train when it is in motion as there are a lot of very narrow and tight clearances along the route.

After alighting at Blaenau Ffestiniog, it was over the barrow crossing to the standard gauge platform to hop onboard the 14:57 Llandudno formed of dud 150227 for the run to the request stop and penultimate station Deganwy. According to the Real Time Trains website when I drew up the draft plans a while ago, this train is scheduled to use Platform 4 at Llandudno Junction, therefore I had spotted a gricing opportunity as most trains use the 1 to 3 island platform. On the approach to the Junction, the train had weaved across the layout and was routed into Platform 1, where there was an 8 minute layover. When the train departed at 16:05, Deganwy was soon reached a few minutes later, with me switching platforms immediately for the 16:11 ex Llandudno – Manchester onboard dud 175114 back to the Junction, arriving into Platform 1.

Having crossed to the opposite face of the island platform to Platform 3, there were 2 Class 158s that were being uncoupled, with both being dud. It was onboard the front 2 coaches that was on the 16:20 Holyhead, which I had a run all the way there on dud 158836 covering new track west of the Junction in the process. From my observations at Holyhead, it seems that Platform 1 (that is tucked away and have to pass through a door from Platform 2) is used mainly for or specially dedicated to the London Euston trains, going by the red Virgin Trains style in the closed waiting room. As the 16:15 sailing from Dublin was delayed, this meant that the 17:31 Birmingham International via Wrexham was heavily loaded, as the arriving passengers had obviously missed the previous eastbound departure which was the London Euston train. I re-boarded 158836 for a run to the request stop Bodorgan, having departed Holyhead 5 minutes behind schedule, and arriving at Bodorgan 8 minutes behind schedule at 17:58.

As I was also keeping an eye on the next Holyhead train during the run to Bodorgan, that was running 12 minutes behind schedule, meaning that I was able to do the connection here. Having alighted from the train and waiting for it to depart, it was over the barrow crossing to the Holyhead platform for the aforementioned 12 minutes delayed 17:56 for a run to another request stop Valley onboard dud 158841. I nipped to the convenience store on the Chester side of the level crossing to pick up something cold and wet before heading to the Chester platform for the 12 minutes delayed 18:29 to re-board 158841 to the Junction, having clawed back a couple of minutes and arriving into Platform 3.

It was over to Platform 1 for the 19:46 ex Llandudno – Crewe, which this is the loco hauled set. I boarded required pair 82308+67010 for the run to Abergele & Pensarn, switching platforms for the 20:12 Llandudno for a run to Colwyn Bay on dud 158825. I would now be doing a few linear hops as I would be making my way to Chester, with the first being the 20:29 Birmingham via Wrexham to Rhyl (a place I last visited in 1983/84) onboard dud 150255, then the 20:55 ex Bangor (Gwynedd) – Birmingham New Street via Stafford to Prestatyn on dud 221115. I exited the station via the very evil footbridge to the convenience store to pick up some provisions before continuing straight to Chester on the 21:17 ex Llandudno – Manchester onboard expected dud 158825, to check into the Hallmark Inn along City Road a short walk from the station and dump the backpack to then set myself up for the PSUL move from Gwersyllt to Wrexham General Platform 3 on the last ex Bidston departure of the day.

I made my way over to Platform 2 that is hidden behind the pillars along the western part of Platform 3, with me having definitely gricing Platform 2 back in 1990 when I went on a day trip from Birmingham via Shrewsbury and Wrexham on a fresh, newly built, and pristine condition Class 158. It was onboard the 22:32 Wolverhampton via Shrewsbury for the run to Wrexham General much to my surprise on required 175107. I then set off for the walk to Gwersyllt station via Mold Road and Old Mold Road, arriving 20 minutes before the train was due. While walking along the main Mold Road, after the A483 junction, the footpath along the right hand side of the road had ran out and became a grass verge, and as the lighting was poor, I must have put my left foot in a hole or some uneven terrain as it landed awkwardly as I had pulled the heel on the back of my foot. I saw that there was a pavement on the left hand side of the road, and I managed to get across to the opposite side when there was a gap in the traffic flow. I would like to mention that if anybody who is attempting this walk, make sure it is the left side of the road that is aimed for at the A483 roundabout junction. I returned to Wrexham General on the 23:46 ex Bidston onboard dud 150253, then to Chester 25 minutes or so later on the 00:15 ex Cardiff Central onboard dud 175110 arriving Chester at 00:30.

Overall, I have completed all of the request stops along the Cambrian coast, made use of the Ffestiniog Railway to make my way northward, covered new track from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Llandudno Junction, and Llandudno Junction to Holyhead. I have also took the opportunity to cover the PSUL move between Gwersyllt and Wrexham General Platform 3 as well.

Stay tuned for Day 4.

noddy1878

Established Member
I've got loads to do in North Wales and the Cambrian Coast. I really must get there someday but you have done really well

adrock1976

Established Member
Day 4 – GWR bits, Great Orme Tramway, and homeward bound 17 August

As I would be heading back home later on today, the aim of the morning’s session was to score Caersws and Welshpool so as not to have only visited all stations between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth, it would also mean that I have covered every inch of metal rail west of Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli. The lunchtime session would be spent on the Great Orme Tramway, before getting one of the request stops between the Junction and Bangor (Gwynedd) out of the way. I would then make my way towards Warrington Bank Quay via Helsby for some linear hops to Preston before continuing north to Glasgow. In other words, I would not be doing anything too strenuous today as my foot is painful from last night, and will be hobbling along at a gentle pace.

Having checked out not long after 06:00, I gently made my way to the station to Platform 2 for the 06:18 ex Holyhead – Cardiff and having spotted 221106 on the 06:26 ex Holyhead – London Euston, it was onboard dud 175109 for the run to Shrewsbury via Wrexham. I then made my way to Platform 6 for the 07:27 Aberystwyth, spotting 153362 that would be on the Swansea via Llandovery, and 158833+824 on the 07:33 Birmingham International. I hopped on dud 158835 for the run to Caersws, spotting 97303 at Coleham Depot, thenreturnedback to Shrewsbury on the 08:28 Birmingham International onboard dud 158823, having covered every inch of metal rail west of Shrewsbury. I then made my way to Platform 5 for the 09:30 ex Birmingham International – Aberystwyth and Pwllheli, with dud 158819 already at the buffer end of the platform waiting to be coupled to the portion that has yet to arrive from Birmingham. Soon after the coupling process had been completed, it was onboard required 158818 that was on theAberystwyth portion for the run to Welshpool.

A few minutes later it was onboard the 09:55 ex Aberystwyth – Birmingham International formed of dud 158839for the run back to Shrewsbury,then on the slightly delayed 10:23 ex Birmingham International – Holyhead onboard dud 158824 for the run to Llandudno Junction via Wrexham. After the train arrived at Chester, it was delayed by 18minutes on departure due to the 11:03 ex Manchester Piccadilly– Holyhead loco hauled set being delayed in departing Chester. It is noted that this was the same loco and DVT that I had yesterday. Arrival at the Junction was 25 minutes behind schedule at 12:41, with me expecting to connect with the 12:57 to Llandudno instead of the 12:35 ex Blaenau Ffestiniog. However, upon arriving at the Junction into Platform 3, the 12:35 ex Blaenau was being held on the adjacent Platform 1, which I hoped onboard dud 150230 that had departed 8 minutes behind schedule at 12:43 for the run to Llandudno.

I hobbled across town (my foot was giving me grief still) stopping at the Sainsbury's store to pick up some provisions, then onwards to Church Walk where the Great Orme Tramway is based. I covered the track back in 1988 when I was on a day trip, but for some unknown reason I had never recorded the tramcars. Having already just missed a tram at 13:20, I hung around for the next one at 13:40, which was tramcar 4 “St Tudno”to take me to the lower section of the imaginatively named Halfway station. Walking through to the upper level section, it was tramcar 6 “St Seriol” that took me up to a windy and blustery Summit Station. I hung around for the 14:10 back down the hill to Halfway, this time on tramcar 7 “St Trillo”, then onto tramcar 5 “St Silio” back down to Victoria station.

Being as I had allowed a conservative 2 1/2 hour to do this task, I was ahead of myself by an hour. Having checked previously that the 15:08 departure from Llandudno does not connect into anything at the Junction, I had an idea that there could be the possibility of me unexpectedly scoring a nearby request stop on the riverbank of the Conwy, and also another go at trying to grice Platform 4 at the Junction. Checking online to see if the bus move would work, I walked a short distance to the Grand Theatre to board the X19 that was due at 14:59 and operated by Llew Jones for the ride to Llanrwst Road at Glan Conwy, arriving at 15:28 having been caught in traffic and roadworks.

After a fester of 20 minutes, it was onboard the 15:50 ex Blanaeu Ffestiniog – Llandudno formed of as expected dud 150230 for the close to 1760 yards run to the Junction, arriving into Platform 1 again. It was onboard the 16:20 ex Birmingham – Holyhead formed of dud 158835 for the run to the request stop of the tongue twisting Penmaenmawr where several passengers also alighted. I then made my way via the footbridge to the opposite platform for the 16:37 ex Holyhead – Birmingham and signalled for the driver to stop. It was dud 158823 that did the honours in taking me to Chester, with the train running non stop between the Junction and Chester, arriving 5 minutes or so behind schedule at 17:34.

Having stopped for a pot of tea at the Costa outlet, it was onboard the 5 minutes delayed 18:16 ex Llandudno – Manchester Piccadilly formed of dud 175111 for the run to Warrington Bank Quay via Walton Old Junction, spotting 67004, 015, and 167 in Arpley Yard. I then immediately made my way across to the opposite platform face onto the 18:41 Glasgow Central that had been held and still managed to depart on time. It was dud 390016 that took me to Wigan North Western, which soon after alighting 319377 would be on the 19:21 Liverpool Lime Street local. I hopped onboard the 19:08 ex Liverpool Lime Street – Blackpool North formed of required 319381 to Preston, spotting 185112 either to or from Barrow in Furness according to the destination screen, 319369 on a Liverpool LS limited stop, 150135+143 on the 10 minutes delayed 19:26 Blackpool North, and 156455 on the 19:44 Manchester Piccadilly. It was onboard the 19:41 Glasgow Central formed of dud 390151 and over to Queen Street on the 22:34 to Barnhill formed of dud 320301 to bring the whole trip to a close.

Conclusion

I have broadly achieved what I had set out to do, with the main aims of the trip being to cover the track west of Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli, the PSUL move between Gwersyllt and Wrexham General Platform 3, the track west of Llandudno Junction to Holyhead, the track between Blaenau Ffestiniog and Llandudno Junction, the Ffestiniog Railway, and a ride on the Great Orme Tramway at Llandudno. Although my intended plans were to have visited every station west of Shrewsbury which was very ambitious and would have had to rely on the trains running to time (would have been a miracle as it was the height of the school holidays) and the various bus moves working out, I decided to concentrate on the request stops as the Wednesday (Day 2) ended up being a disaster with the bus moves not going to plan. This meant that I have Tywyn, Harlech, Minffordd, and Cricceith along the coastal line hanging, plus Bow Street between Borth and Aberystwyth when that station eventually reopens.

On a side note, at the start of this trip, I had 9 Class 158s from the Welsh fleet that were required, with me having landed 6 of those. The other 3 remaining I can easily get those in the West Midlands on a run anywhere between Wolverhampton and Birmingham International if I happen to be around at the time they are passing through there. Also, I could have done without landing on my left foot awkwardly when the pavement ran out in not so good visibility when I was walking from Wrexham General to Gwersyllt (my foot is now better at the time of posting).

noddy1878

Established Member
Good to see you achieved you main aim. Nothing worse than a painful foot though when you need to get about.

adrock1976

Established Member
Wheels of Steel – Northern Rail £10 newspaper offer 27September

Being as I already had some tokens for this promotional offer and having heard “Wheels of Steel” on the tranny by Saxon (who are from Barnsley), my strategy was to head to Sheffield so as to have a stab at reducing my Class 142 and 144 requirements. As a wildcard I would also keep a lookout to see if it would be possible to get 153330 (my final Northern dogbox) and 180104 – my final Class 180.

It was an early rise and out of the door just after 05:05 to take the bus to Buchanan bus station and for the rapid pace to Glasgow Central station. The 05:50 London Euston via Birmingham at Platform 1 was dud pair 221106+115, which meant that I would not have been kicking myself being as I had Advance tickets Preston – Manchester and Manchester – Sheffield to get me quickly to the east side of the Pennines. The 06:01 Southampton Central via Leeds and Birmingham was 220021 which was sitting in Platform 3. It was to Platform 2 to hop onboard the 05:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway formed of dud 390040 for the run straight to Preston, spotting 92023 at Carstairs to haul the Edinburgh portion of the sleeper. 66093, 37(x)39, and various Class 68s and 88s were some of the locos that were spotted at Kingmoor just before daybreak, while 57307 was spotted in the goods loop west of Platform 1 at Carlisle, and 156441 was in Platform 2 with its destination screen displaying Barrow-in-Furness, and required 156489 was on the 07:2x Oxenholme – Windermere shuttle, which I flagged as a possibility for later on.

After alighting at Preston, 156464 was in Platform 5 possibly on the 08:24 Manchester Airport local stations, 390011 on the 8 minutes delayed 07:53 Edinburgh Waverley, and 319370 was on a Blackpool North departure. I briefly went to the booking office to get the promotional ticket, but as the queue was long, I abandoned that and made my way to Platform 2 for the 08:06 ex Blackpool North – Manchester Airport limited stop formed of dud 319362 for the run to Manchester Piccadilly via Wigan North Western and the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. Arrival at Piccadilly was 6 minutes behind schedule at 09:05. Bearing in mind that due to the limited amount of time I had here, I decided to get the promotional ticket at Sheffield instead of facing the long hike from Platforms 13+14 to the booking office on the main concourse and back.

Having checked that the New Mills Central, Rose Hill Marple, and the Buxton departures were all dud, it was to Platform 9 for the 09:19 ex Manchester Airport – Cleethorpes formed of dud pair 185109+134 for the run to Sheffield, having spotted 67013+82308 at Mayfield that would be on the Holyhead departure, with arrival at Sheffield being 5 minutes behind schedule at 10:13. Having made my way to the booking office to hand in the form for the promotional ticket, it was issued with no problems at all, with my next port of call being to purchase some tea bearing in mind I was not properly awake yet. Heading over to Platforms 2 to 5, the first few departures were dud, with me eventually settling upon the 10:35 Huddersfield via Penistone that was formed of dud 144014 for a run to Wombwell, arriving 8 minutes behind schedule at 11:04 due to a signal fault near Meadowhall.

I then immediately made my way over to the opposite platform for the 9 minutes delayed 11:05 ex Huddersfield – Sheffield formed of dud 144019 for the short hop to Elsecar, and having positioned myself in the rear coach I then immediately made my way to the opposite platform via the long ramp, road overbridge, and long ramp to very soon be onboard the 2 minutes delayed 11:20 ex Sheffield – Leeds via Castleford for a run to Normanton onboard required 144005. A few minutes later, it was onboard although dud 144012 on the ex Leeds – Sheffield for the run to Barnsley Interchange, this was the first time I have had this since it became the E-Pacer. As I had worked up an appetite, I had to make do with a meal deal from Greggs outside the interchange as I did not want to rob a bank to purchase something cold from one of the catering outlets inside the bus station part of the interchange.

After heading back to the station, it was onboard dud 158859 on the ex Leeds – Nottingham limited stop straight back to Sheffield, arriving 10 minutes behind schedule at 13:12 due to being held at Meadowhall. Having nipped to the lavatory, it was onboard the 13:37 ex Leeds – Lincoln Central onboard dud 158909 for a run to Shireoaks, immediately making my way via the level crossing to the Sheffield platform to soon board the 14:12 ex Lincoln Central – Leeds formed of dud 158903 for a run to Meadowhall Interchange. After a couple of duds went by in both directions to and from the Doncaster direction, I returned to Sheffield on the 15:21 ex Huddersfield formed of required 144022, with me having had all three diagrams on the standard pattern service. Being as I had some time for another Meadowhall run and back before my intended move to get back west of the Pennines, I hopped onboard required 158901 that was on the 15:45 ex Lincoln Central – Leeds for a run to Meadowhall, returning a few minutes later back to Sheffield on dud 150150 that was on the 15:53 ex Leeds – Nottingham.

Having alighted from the train, I gently made my way over to Platform 2b to await the 16:14 Manchester Piccadilly via New Mills Central local Hope Valley, which was formed of dud 150223 when it eventually arrived. A few minutes after the scheduled departure time, it was announced that the train would be cancelled due to a train fault. It is noted that my intention was to have a run to Grindleford, back to Dore & Totley, then onwards to Manchester. As that plan was abandoned, I made my way to Platform 5 for the 7 minutes delayed 16:18 ex Nottingham – Leeds limited stop formed of required 158910, eventually taking a gamble having decided to head all the way to Leeds after checking that the connections would not work out by bailing at Wakefield Kirkgate and cutting across to Mirfield and/or Huddersfield. Arrival at Leeds was 3 minutes behind schedule at 17:17.

Being as I was in the front coach for the anticipation of arriving into Platform 17 (which it did as booked to do so), I rapidly made my way to Platform 13b for the 17:21 Southport via Brighouse, Manchester Victoria, and Atherton formed of dud pair 150203+142034. Having worked out that arrival at Wigan Wallgate would be after the London Euston – Glasgow Central from North Western, and with no friendly connections at Salford Crescent to Preston via Bolton, I decided to settle on bailing at Mytholmroyd as the last time I did the promotional offer. I nipped over the river to the Sainsbury’s store to pick up some provisions, and being as there were no copies of the Lancashire Evening Post and only one copy of the Yorkshire Post, that had steered me to picking up some copies when I arrive at Preston.

It was back to the station to await the 4 minutes delayed 18:39 ex Leeds (formerly York) – Preston formed of much to my surprise required 158756 for the run straight to Preston, arriving 4 minutes behind schedule at 19:44. As the 19:41 ex London Euston was slightly delayed and had not overtook me between Farrington Curve Junction and Preston station, I rapidly made my way from the front coach to the store on Platforms 3 and 4 to quickly pick up some copies of the Lancashire Evening Post with exact change ready before rapidly sprinting to Platform 5 to hop onboard dud 390132 that was on the 4 minutes delayed 19:41 Glasgow Central. I must have done all of that within 90 to 75 seconds – do not ask me how I managed to do all of that as I have no idea myself. Arrival at Glasgow Central was on schedule at 22:02, having spotted 92043 in GBRf livery on the 23:40 London Euston sleeper. Having gently made my way to Queen Street, 385003+385xxx was on the 22:30 Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High (the Class 385s have subsequently been withdrawn at the time of typing this report due to defective brakes) before making my way downstairs to hop onboard dud 320301 on the 22:35 ex Dumbarton Central – Cumbernauld for the run back home to Barnhill.

Overall, although I felt that I did not do so well at Sheffield regarding reducing the Class 142 requirements, I did get 2 required Class 144s and 3 Class 158s meaning that I have 5 of the former British Rail fleet in Northern land to chase after. Also, I have scored some stations today as well. It is noted that I require 14 Northern Class 142s (4 Newton Heath and 10 Heaton) and 3 Class 144s (008, 010, and 020) which may or may not temorarily end up in Wales in the near future.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
An interesting read there, my recent priority has been reducing the Northern Pacers, I’m down to 1 x 144 (144021) and 11 x 142 (142005/011/012/019/026/029/043/052/057/079/092), so I’ve been doing a few South Yorkshire Rover tickets to cover Sheffield, Doncaster etc.
Last week I did a North East 4 in 8 Rover which helped me get 2 or 3 Heaton based examples around Middlesbrough area but then I kept stumbling on the same handful until day 4 when I headed back south and had successes in York and Leeds before an unexpected Newton Heath unit (142038) arrived on a service from Leeds.
I’m throughly enjoying chasing them, but now I’m down to 11 it’s going to get harder!

Kite159

Veteran Member
An interesting read there, my recent priority has been reducing the Northern Pacers, I’m down to 1 x 144 (144021) and 11 x 142 (142005/011/012/019/026/029/043/052/057/079/092), so I’ve been doing a few South Yorkshire Rover tickets to cover Sheffield, Doncaster etc.
Last week I did a North East 4 in 8 Rover which helped me get 2 or 3 Heaton based examples around Middlesbrough area but then I kept stumbling on the same handful until day 4 when I headed back south and had successes in York and Leeds before an unexpected Newton Heath unit (142038) arrived on a service from Leeds.
I’m throughly enjoying chasing them, but now I’m down to 11 it’s going to get harder!

Definitely since the 142s can pop up in a lot of the places on the Northern network.

--------

Sounded like a good day to Sheffield Adam, I note you visited some of the stations which are outside the boundary of regular day rangers (Shireoaks) which is a good idea

adrock1976

Established Member
Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover and Explore West Wales 18-22 October

Intro

As the conference that I am involved with and attending would be taking place in Bristol this year, I did have a couple of ideas in my mind of what to do bashing wise. I would definitely be doing the Explore West Wales day ranger on the Friday morning, then mid afternoon would switch to the Valley Lines network. The Thursday my intention would be to take a run to one of the request stops between Yeovil Pen Mill and Maiden Newton, with a remote possibility of me also attempting to get my remaining 5 GWR powercars (43144 which will be heading to Scotland at some point, plus 017, 079, 091, and 160 which are planned to go off lease in March 2019 with no new homes lined up for them). Being as the conference was on the Saturday and Sunday, I would be intending to have a lookout for anything required, with me heading back to Glasgow on the Monday stopping off in the West Midlands to do some bits and pieces that I have been meaning to get around to doing for a good number of years.

At the beginning part of September, my first mission was to investigate accommodation around Bristol, which as I suspected was outwith my budget. I did what I did back in the summer of 2017 and decided to fix myself up with some accommodation in Cardiff, which was a damned sight cheaper. Having done the maths with the day returns that I would require for the Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, plus the Heart of Wessex day ranger for the Thursday, it worked out better for me to purchase the 3 from 7 day Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover, which would also cover a wider area if I fancied straying from Great Western Railway metals onto London & South Western Railway metals should if the chance arises. Furthermore, my outward journey to reach Bristol would be via the shortest route and not necessarily the quickest so as to avoid the fares priced by Arriva Crosscountry as I do not intend on purchasing the whole Voyager set. The route would be Glasgow – Preston – Crewe – Newport via Hereford – Severn Tunnel – Bristol.

Outward bound to Wessex, Somerset, and Cardiff 18 October

Having sorted out the luggage the previous day, I had difficulty in getting to sleep as I knew that I would need to be up very early for the first train of the journey. For regular readers of my previous trip reports, you may have noticed that during 2018 I have yet to be on a particular departure from Glasgow Central, with that being the 04:28 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway. Owing to the large rucksack I had, I had arranged for a taxi to pick me up at 04:00 to take me to Glasgow Central, arriving there around 10 minutes or so later on. I made my way towards Platform 1, having spotted 350410+402 on the delayed 04:22 Manchester Airport in Platform 2 and 380110 in Platform 3, plus various 314s in the next few platforms. It was onboard (as expected) dud 390123 for the run to Preston, spotting various 68s, 88s, and 37s at Kingmoor (it was too dark to get any resemblance of numbers), and 57307 in the goods loop west of Platform 1 at Carlisle.

After alighting at Preston, I went upstairs to the booking office to use a Delay Repay voucher towards the purchase the FoSS Rover, which afterwards I could have got that further south at a non Virgin managed station as they seem to issue tickets on the till receipt roll style and not the traditional credit card sized cardboard. The booking clerk was kind enough to ask me if I would like both parts of the rover stapled together which I accepted. It was back downstairs to Platform 3 and 4 island where I purchased some tea and something light from the West Cornwall Pasty kiosk before soon boarding the 07:17 ex Lancaster – London Euston via Birmingham formed of dud 390020 for the run to Crewe. It was over to Platform 6 having spotted 156498 (I was expecting a dogbox) on the 08:07 Derby, I was soon onboard the 08:08 ex Manchester Piccadilly – Carmarthen formed of dud 175008 for the run to Newport (Gwent) via Shrewsbury and Hereford with me having a snooze between Leominster and Abergavenny as the tiredness had caught up with me.

Upon alighting at Newport, I made my way tot he booking office to purchase the Explore West Wales day ranger for tomorrow, which was as I expected issued on the traditional credit card sized cardboard stock. I made my way to Platform 3 to spot 800017+012 on the 10:40 London Paddington before boarding the 10:45 ex Cardiff – Portsmouth Harbour formed of dud pair 150265+158960 for the run to Bristol Temple Meads. Being as both powercars on the 11:30 London Paddington were dud, I nipped to the lavatory and stopped off on the way back to purchase some tea before boarding the 11:49 ex Gloucester – Weymouth formed of dud 166209 for the run to the request stop of Yetminster, arriving 8 minutes behind schedule after being held at a red signal on the way to Keynsham. 59004 was spotted hauling Yeoman wagons at Bradford on Avon, and 70806+807 and 66120 was spotted on the London side of the yard at Westbury.

It is noted that I had posted to find out what my 5 remaining powercars, plus 150126 (as that is due to head to Northern at some point, and to save chasing after it across the Pennines) were up to today. 4 out of the 5 powercars and 150126 were out today and having traced their workings online, it was possible for me to get at least 2 powercars and the Sprinter. Additionally and unknown to me, 153368 had already left to go to the East Midlands. Anyway, it was onboard the 6 minutes delayed 13:58 ex Weymouth – Gloucester formed of dud 158957 for the run to Bruton, where just before leaving the station to have a wander around town, I had spotted 43023+030 passing through on the London Paddington – Plymouth. I returned to the station to board one of the infiltrators on GWR metals which was the 15:18 ex Westbury – London Waterloo via both Yeovil stations formed of dud 158890 for the run to Yeovil Pen Mill, with the automated onboard announcement for the call at Castle Cary being announced as “Castle Cary for Glastonbury”. I headed to Bath Spa on the 15:56 ex Weymouth – Gloucester onboard the expected return of dud 166209, spotting 66149 and 59204 coupled to two sets of Mendip Rail wagons at Westbury. Also at Westbury, the train had coupled to dud 165132 for the onward route to Gloucester. Arrival at Bath Spa was 7 minutes behind schedule at 17:16, where a few moments later, 800020+034 was on the 8 minutes delayed 17:12 ex Bristol Temple Meads – London Paddington.

Having nipped out of the station to the Sainsbury’s store to pick up some provisions, it was onboard the slightly delayed 17:44 London Paddington formed of dud 43005+ required 43144 for a run to Chippenham, returning back to Bath Spa on the 18:13 formed of dud pair 43092+018. I rapidly switched platforms for the 18:36 ex Cardiff Central – Portsmouth Harbour formed of required pair 158956+150126 with me positioning myself in the rear 2 coaches of the formation as 150126 will be heading to Northern at some point. I decided to have a ride in the first coach of the 150 to Bradford on Avon then switched to the rear coach for the run to Westbury. The reason why I went for both coaches of the 150 for haulage is that there may or may not be a possibility of this becoming a hybrid set when it eventually goes to Northern, and although the 158 was required for haulage and with this being a hybrid set, I have not marked that one off the list yet as I have not had the odd coach or any part of that train for haulage. Of note, the 150 was uncoupled after arriving at Westbury with the 158 continuing onwards to Portsmouth, and also when 150126 was 150926 when it had the orphaned coach from either 150209 or 212 (the other orphan was in 150125/925), I had both of those orphaned coaches for haulage back in 2016.

It was onboard the 12 minutes delayed 19:12 ex Plymouth – London Paddington which was formed of dud pair 43030+023 (with Standard Class at the London end of the train) for a run to Pewsey as a positioning move. I made my way to the opposite platform for the slightly delayed 19:44 ex Paddington – Plymouth formed of required 43160+ dud 097 back to Westbury, arriving 15 minutes late at 20:17 due to being held for a platform to become available. It was announced by the guard that the connection with the 20:11 Cardiff Central would not be held. After alighting from the train, I got chatting to a couple of chaps who were using Simsig, and gave me a useful tip that 43017 that would be ending the day at Penzance and off to Long Rock should be on the 05:05 Penzance – Paddington in the morning assuming it sticks to diagram. Having made a note of that, I would work out later on or in the morning if it would be possible for me to get that powercar.

Meanwhile, 66850 was on the Railhead Treatment Train that had arrived into Platform 1 before boarding the 5 minutes delayed 20:38 Bristol TM formed of dud pair 150238+150125 straight to Bristol calling all stations. Arrival at Bristol was 9 minutes behind schedule at 21:37. Having seen something required on the 21:41 ex Taunton – Gloucester, it was onboard required 166220 for a linear hop to Filton Abbey Wood where it was 8 minutes behind schedule on arriving after being held near Dr Days Junction. I hopped onboard the 10 minutes delayed 22:01 ex Portsmouth Harbour – Cardiff Central formed of dud 158951 for the run straight to Cardiff, switching to the relief lines after Newport due to overnight engineering works. Arrival at Cardiff was more or less on time at 23:56, and after spotting 70816 hauling Ford cars along the centre track in the London direction, it was straight to my accommodation which was Mrs Potts hostel along St Mary Street with the beds having a curtain that can be drawn across.

Overall, although I did not get much haulage wise, I did take the chance to visit some of the awkward stations between Westbury and Weymouth, plus I managed to get 2 out of 5 required GWR powercars and also 150126 before it heads off to Northern.

Stay tuned for the next few days reports.

adrock1976

Established Member
A good day for your needs list :)

Would you recommend Mrs Potts as a good place to stay?

Being as it is along St Mary's Street which is a pedestrianised street in the central area, if it is somewhere to have a sleep for the night that is cheap and cheerful and would like curtains that you can draw across the bed, I would try it out. Plus there is no set time for breakfast as the items are left out in the basement kitchen.

I would like to say that I think the matresses are not medium firm, so if a heavy body mass or if anybody suffers from backache, I would suggest elsewhere. Also, being as it is an old building, there was no ensuite shower or bathroom, but bearing in mind I was on the ground floor (I specially requested that a few weeks ago as I had a sore foot from the August trip on the North and Mid Wales Rover), there was a universal accessible lavatory which also had a shower in it as well.

Otherwise, everything was as described on the Booking.com website.

On a side note, back in 2012 or thereabouts, I stayed in a hostel (if it can be called that) a short walk from Woolwich Arsenal station (may have been Royal Ordnance). I would not in any way recommend that if looking for somewhere to stay in London regardless which side of the Thames you need to be. A not so nice experience I had that is memorable is that during the Saturday daytime (I was staying Friday and Saturday night) and unknown to be, I had been switched to a different room as a large group had arrived. I only became aware when my backpack was not in my original room, and the reception desk (if it can be called that) was on a break. I had enquired about it after the break and was informed that I had been placed in a different room. Being as the staff had my contact number, a text message or phone call to see reception when I arrive back would have sufficed, which I would have been happy with. The fact is that they did not have the decency to have explained the situation is what rattled me, and plus, the impressions I got of the standards of that hostel was that it is one of those places that you wipe your feet on the way out, and have a good sanitisation at the first chance you get when leaving or checked out.

adrock1976

Established Member
Explore West Wales and Valley Lines bits 19 October

The main aim of today is to concentrate on the lines to Fishguard and Milford Haven (which I already covered the track to the ends back in 2015), which would leave me to visit the stations along the Pembroke arm another time. Owing to the frequency being broadly every 2 hours and not totally clockface and with there being a big 6 hour gap on the Fishguard arm, this would not be a rapid fire exercise and having investigated bus options a while ago, the timings do not match up well at all. I had already sorted out cheap Advance fares from Cardiff to Whitland, and Carmarthen to Cardiff. The afternoon session would see me either doing some Valley Lines stations or heading through the tunnel to see if I could get 43017.

After having had a good night’s sleep (I had totally passed out being as I could not sleep Wednesday evening before I set off) it was an early rise and out of the door just after 06:25 for the walk to Cardiff Central station. Having made my way to Platform 3 it was onboard the 06:42 Pembroke Dock via Ninian Park, Swansea, and Carmarthen formed of required 153367 for the run to Swansea, spotting 60054 hauling oil or LPG tanks in the London direction at Briton Ferry. While at Swansea, 800012 was on the 07:59 London Paddington with 800018 being on the 08:29 Paddington. I hopped onboard the 08:14 Fishguard Harbour avoiding Carmarthen formed of dud 150260 for the run to Fishguard & Goodwick, with me purchasing some tea from the station cafe before awaiting the return of the same train at 09:57 for the run to Clarbeston Road.

It was over to the opposite platform for the 10:28 Milford Haven formed of required 175105 for a run to the request stop of Johnston, with me having visited all stations beginning with the letter J. Meanwhile, I was keeping an eye on the 05:05 Penzance – Paddington online to see how it was running, with it having arrived at Paddington 65 minutes behind schedule at 11:07. Its next working was the 11:03 Plymouth which went out 20 minutes behind schedule so would be keeping an eye on that and comparing it to the planned diagram for today. I had around a 30 minute fester to await the same train to return on the 11:16 Manchester Piccadilly for a run to another request stop Clunderwen. Having made the hike to the opposite platform via the road overbridge and down a cul-de-sac (the platforms are staggered) I had spotted 143605 on the 11:00 Swansea – Fishguard Harbour passing through at around 12:00 (formerly 10:20 Newport – Fishguard Harbour, and before that, possibly the direct train from London Paddington). It was onboard the slightly delayed 12:12 Milford Haven formed of dud 175010 for the run to Haverfordwest, where I had a wander around town before heading back to await the same train on the 13:23 Manchester Piccadilly via Carmarthen and Swansea for the run straight to Cardiff.

While having worked out fare options between Cardiff and the Rhondda, the maths worked out better with the Valley Lines ranger, which I purchased from the booking office past Platforms 6 to 8. It was to Platform 6 for the 15:56 Merthyr Tydfil formed of dud 150279 which was heavily loaded, but still very vocal with the screaming of the engines. Having bailed at Taffs Well it was onboard the 16:25 Treherbert formed of dud 150241 for the run to Llwynypia, then to Porth on the slightly delayed 17:00 on dud 143622. Having made my way to the northbound platform, it was onboard the 8 minutes delayed 17:14 Treherbert on required 150262+ dud 150258 to Tonypandy, before heading to Pontypridd on the 9 minutes delayed 17:33 onboard the expected return of 150241. Meanwhile, I was still keeping an eye on the earlier mentioned Plymouth and its return to Paddington, with it having arrived at Plymouth 40 minutes behind schedule at 15:01, with its next working as planned being the 15:00 Paddington departing 20 minutes behind schedule, due at Paddington at 18:36 if the time is made up.

Having left the train at Pontypridd, I rapidly made my way over to the northbound platform for the slightly delayed 17:33 Merthyr Tydfil formed of required 150229+ dud 142069 for a run to Pentre-back and after a 15 minute or so fester awaited for the same pair to return on the 18:42 Bridgend via Rhoose for a run to Trefforest (my intention was to bail at Trefforest Estate, but I would hit a large gap in service here). It is noted that I had built in a 30 minute gap at Pontypridd as some leeway to allow for the Valley Lines network going up the spout as the last few times I have ventured near the heads of the Valleys, I seem to jinx the intended plans, but being as I had got ahead of myself I had identified a possibility to get Cathays done on a linear hop. Meanwhile, having checked the progress of the 15:00 Plymouth – Paddington, it terminated at Paddington around 30 minutes late at 18:45 and instead of heading to Penzance on the 19:03, it would go on an empty coaching stock move to Old Oak Common meaning that I can stick with my intended plans this evening. It was onboard the 8 minutes delayed 19:21 ex Treherbert – Cardiff Central formed of dud 143614 to Cathays, then to Cardiff Central on the 5 minutes delayed 19:46 ex Aberdare – Penarth that was a couple of minutes behind and formed of dud 150256.

After alighting from the train, I nipped to the Tesco store along St Mary Street to pick up some provisions and headed back to the station to board the 20:34 Ebbw Vale Town formed of dud 158820 for a run to Risca & Pontymister. I went on a hike to the southbound platform to await the 16 minutes delayed 21:11 Cardiff Central formed of dud pair 153312+150235 straight back to Cardiff. Having checked online, the inbound working had departed Cardiff 15 minutes behind schedule, and owing to the single track section north of Crosskeys (even though track has been laid for redoubling, it has yet to be connected), no time could be made up. Arrival at Cardiff was 12 minutes behind schedule at 21:55 and even with the delay, I was able to do my next intended move on the 10 minutes delayed 22:08 ex Manchester – Carmarthen onboard dud 158836 for the run to Llanharen (I might as well score one of the “Llan” stations while I am basing myself in Cardiff). I returned back to Cardiff Central on the 22:48 ex Maesteg – Gloucester onboard required 158822. I then hopped onboard the last train of the evening that runs via Queen Street which is the 23:26 ex Barry Island – Pontypridd formed of dud 143622 for a bus stop bash round the corner to Queen Street, changing onto the 23:36 Cardiff Bay shuttle onboard dud 153362. The reasons for this will become clear, as after I had a brief wander, I returned back to the station for the last train of the day at 23:54 which continues to Cardiff Central, thus gricing the crossover (not the rusty one, but the one closer to the southern end of Platforms 1 and 2) from the Bay line into Platform 2. The train arrived on time at Central at 00:05, which meant that today is possibly the longest session I have had on a bashing trip at 17 hours and 23 minutes.

Overall, I have managed to get some awkward station visits done at the extreme ends of the former Great Western Railway lines in West Wales, done some bits in the Rhondda and other bits and pieces too. Furthermore, while I had kept track of the possibility of 43017 starting on the 05:05 Penzance – London Paddington, that train’s diagram for that day got abandoned in the evening when it went off to Old Oak Common, meaning that it saved me a wasted trip through the tunnel on the slight chance it would have appeared.

Stay tuned for Saturday to Monday.

PeterY

Established Member
I found your bash around South Wales an interesting read (along with the others) especially as I've yet to tackle South and mid Wales. I'm already planning in my head :idea::idea: how to do it and it's not until the daylight returns next April. I tend to bash the more local lines during the winter months.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on clearing the Milford Haven/Fishy line plus a good dent into the valleys bits :)

I shall keep that hostel in mind for next year as I've got a couple trips planned which involves overnight stays in Cardiff and in case my semi-preferred option of the YHA being unavailable

adrock1976

Established Member
GWR bits and pieces 20 October

As today is the day of conference held at the Wills Memorial Building at Bristol University, most of the action would be in the evening. Having had a good night’s sleep, it was out of the door just after 07:35 for the short walk to Central station to board the 07:54 London Paddington formed of required 800303 for my very first run on an IET to Bristol Parkway. It is noted that the seat reservations were not functioning according to the onboard announcement by the guard. After purchasing the Plusbus from the booking office, my next move was the 5 minutes delayed 08:56 ex Manchester Piccadilly – Bristol TM formed of dud 220005 for the short run to Temple Meads, having departed Parkway from Platform 1 and arriving into Platform 1 at Temple Meads, which was a surprise as that platform is normally used for the Avonmouth and Severn Beach services. My original intended plan was to exit the station and walk to the main road for the bus to Clifton, but being as I had spotted a required Class 166 on the 09:16 Avonmouth, it was over to Platform 5 to hop on 166210 for the run to Clifton Down, and having spotted the train in the opposite direction being a dud, it would save time wasting later on. It was then a short bus ride to the conference venue.

After the conference finished and having had some post-conference drinks at the nearby Wetherspoon, I took the bus to Temple Meads via College Green and Broadmarsh. My first port of call was the lavatory so I decided to take a short run to Parkway on the slightly delayed 20:30 Birmingham New Street formed of dud 221119, and back to Temple Meads on the slightly delayed 20:55 ex Manchester – Plymouth formed of dud 220029. The next move was on the 21:22 ex Cardiff – Portsmouth Harbour formed of 158961 (which required coach 52767 that is a cab end was required so as to clear that hybrid set outright, as I already had 57767 plus the odd coach at the opposite cab end)+ required 150263 for the run to Bath Spa. Having nipped to the Sainsbury’s store to pick up some provisions, I returned to Bristol on the 22:02 ex London Paddington – Exeter St Davids via Weston-super-Mare formed of as expected dud pair 43185+078. I returned to Cardiff on the 12 minutes delayed (waiting for a driver who had been delayed) 22:55 ex Portsmouth Harbour onboard dud 158798 arriving at Cardiff Central more or less on time at 23:58, due to the slackness given for the relief line running.

Overall, I have got off the mark with the IETs (albeit in diesel mode) and for me to give a fair judgement, I would need to do several Paddington – Reading (or Cardiff/Bristol Parkway – Swindon or Reading runs) to give a verdict on those. I have also unintentionally scored the grice from Platform 1 at Bristol Parkway, and have also cleared a hybrid Class 158 outright.

Stay tuned for Sunday and Monday,

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have gone into platform 2 at Temple Meads, mainly because that is a 'south' facing bay platform which isn't used by passenger services ;)

adrock1976

Established Member
GWR bits and pieces 21 October

Being as I was feeling under the weather slightly today and with a combination of various engineering works and reduced frequencies, I decided to take things easy and would do what The Small Faces did back in 1968 i.e. have a Lazy Sunday. Having got up and having had breakfast, I had a gentle saunter around the shopping area on the way to Central station to hop onboard the 12:08 Portsmouth Harbour formed of dud 158953 for the run through the tunnel to Bristol Temple Meads. I hung around for a short while to see what was on the Taunton via Weston-super-Mare and the Avonmouth/Severn Beach, but were all dud as I expected. I exited the station for a saunter into the central area of Bristol before gently continuing with a few bits and pieces.

Having consulted the timetable online, I worked out that I can easily take a run to Maiden Newton later on, as on Mondays to Saturdays, the 11:49 Weymouth from Temple Meads is timetabled to pass the Gloucester bound train there at the same time, which can be risky if there is a delay and with there being no get out of jail free card to play (unless I fancied a 2 hour fester for the train to return) as there are no bus services at all that serve Maiden Newton. The other two request stops of Thornford and Chetnole I can easily do another time in the future. I had also identified a possibility of scoring Kemble with relative ease, being as I already done Stonehouse and Stroud back in 2016. Furthermore, I would like to note that I would not be expecting any winners while on this exercise today.

Anyway, back to the bashing action, first up it was onboard the 14:53 London Paddington formed of required pair 800006+007 for the run to Swindon – again the electronic reservations were not functioning. Having left the station briefly for a short wander, I hopped onboard the 5 minutes delayed 15:38 Cheltenham Spa via Gloucester formed of dud pair 43170+071 for the run to Kemble. It was around a 40 minute or so fester to await the 16:36 ex Cheltenham Spa – London Paddington formed of dud pair 43018+022 for the run back to Swindon, then onboard the 17:11 Bristol TM formed of required 800307 for the run to Bath Spa to nip out to the Sainsbury’s store to pick up some provisions before my next move.

I hopped onboard the 6 minutes delayed 17:58 ex Weston-super-Mare – Weymouth formed of a very busy and dud 150246 which would be my chariot for the run to Maiden Newton and back. I went for a brief wander into the village before awaiting for the same train to arrive on the 9 minutes delayed 20:34 Bristol TM, with the info point screen having the train’s destination as Westbury rather than Bristol. The train did indeed terminate at Westbury arriving 6 minutes behind schedule at 21:45 with the 22:00 ex Portsmouth Harbour – Cardiff covering the stops between Westbury and Bristol. The 22:00 was formed of dud 158798 which departed Westbury 6 minutes behind schedule, but arrived at Cardiff Central on time at 23:42.

Overall, despite me having been under the weather today and deciding to take things easy, I managed to score the visits of both Kemble and Maiden Newton, plus I have got a few more IETs ticked off the list as well.

Stay tuned for Monday.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A couple more stations into your book :)

Maiden Newton is the token exchange point so that tight connection on a Saturday is doable

Status
Not open for further replies.