• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adult accompanying Oyster user with Disabled Railcard loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

faddy

On my occasional visits to London, I travel on a Oyster card (payg) with my Disabled railcard loaded on it. The rules say that an adult travelling with me can travel on a child rate paper Travelcard.

I am reluctant to try this as I would anticipate them being challenged by tube and bus staff (particularly bus drivers), especially as I have an invisible disability. Anyone have experience of availing themselves of this rule?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
No experience, but I'd follow this plan:

a) Say/get them to say that they are travelling with you on a Disabled Railcard
b) If that doesn't please them, show them the railcard
c) If that doesn't please them, show them any other pass/documentation proving your disability if you have them
d) If you get to step C I would complain!

wintonian

Established Member
The only time I have trouble with it is when the travelcard won't go through thegates and the staff are not.aware of the concession, thus cue a highly embarrassing time being asked proff of age when the person accompanying you is in there mid 30's.

However if you take a print out of the relevant page from TfL's website that tends to stop any of the above pretty much as soon as it starts.

I strongly suggest you take a print out or letter from TfL etc. with you just incase you find a less knowledgeable member of staff.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

wintonian

Established Member
Don't think we have tried it on the bus since they atualy started looking like they cared what ticket you have, so don't know about them.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.