• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance BoJ during disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Am currently on the 1533 EDB- LIV service headed for Newcastle with connections to Thirsk on a one pound tpe advance . Have been cleared to board this service as the 1633 for which I was booked is cancelled however obviously this means a long wait for my connection at NCL.
What do you think the chances are of me being allowed out of the station for the wait?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Am currently on the 1533 EDB- LIV service headed for Newcastle with connections to Thirsk on a one pound tpe advance . Have been cleared to board this service as the 1633 for which I was booked is cancelled however obviously this means a long wait for my connection at NCL.
What do you think the chances are of me being allowed out of the station for the wait?
Very good, just ask to be allowed to use any of the station facilities that are outside the barrier, of which there are many. That does not count as a break of journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Pretty much 100%. The only time I heard of an Advance ticket holder being refused the chance to pass a barrier was Clapham Junction.

The purpose of Advance BoJ restrictions is to stop you using a cheaper long-distance ticket (!) for a shorter journey that is more expensive.

hkstudent

Established Member
Pretty much 100%. The only time I heard of an Advance ticket holder being refused the chance to pass a barrier was Clapham Junction.

The purpose of Advance BoJ restrictions is to stop you using a cheaper long-distance ticket (!) for a shorter journey that is more expensive.
Well, Clapham Junction has always been having BoJ problems (no matter the barriers or untrained security guards)

mikeg

Established Member
In any event the guard let me on the 1743 and even mentioned it to the onboard RPI so no long wait... Here's hoping for the Northallerton to Thirsk bit.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've never, ever been refused break of journey when using an Advance ticket.

I just say I'm popping to get some supplies and the gateline attendant just lets me through.

Kilopylae

The only time I heard of an Advance ticket holder being refused the chance to pass a barrier was Clapham Junction.

I've been refused access to the 'outside world' at Hereford travelling on advance ticket, despite serious TfW disruption that ultimately ended up with all passengers travelling on TfW to Newport, Cardiff etc. being delayed for five hours. The insistence was that my ticket did not allow me to leave the station here and that I should remain on the platform or train and wait for announcements.

That being said, I was offered an apology on noting this after my arrival at Newport later that evening, and they had no issues letting me BoJ despite being in the middle of organising taxis for myself and others.

Barrier staff will be 'rogue,' as it were. Does anyone know of any rights that the advance ticket holder would have in those situation? Other than perhaps some law that deals with being kidnapped/unlawfully detained!

mmh

Established Member
My advice is don't mention BoJ or anything related to your journey or ticket. Just show it and say you want to go outside for a cigarette. True or not, you'll be allowed through.

Status
Not open for further replies.