• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance booked - departure changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisurefirst

Hi,
I was booked on the 07.22 from Paddington this morning travelling to Moreton-In-Marsh with seat reservations booked weeks ago.
I was a bit surprised when arriving at Paddington this morning to find no 07.22 displayed on the departure board but instead an 07.21 having booked on GWR's website but not having had any email about the change.
I was even less impressed to find what presumably should have been an HST as we had numbered seats reserved was instead a freezing cold 3 car Turbo with no working toilet, (unless this was because it was before departure), tables or ledges for drinks etc.
A trolley actually came through to my amazement after Oxford I think.
I know the train was only leaving a minute earlier but no mention of the change was communicated to me prior to today nor AFAIK at the station or on the train and it could have caused somebody to miss the train...does anybody know what happened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MG11

Hi,
I was booked on the 07.22 from Paddington this morning travelling to Moreton-In-Marsh with seat reservations booked weeks ago.
I was a bit surprised when arriving at Paddington this morning to find no 07.22 displayed on the departure board but instead an 07.21 having booked on GWR's website but not having had any email about the change.
I was even less impressed to find what presumably should have been an HST as we had numbered seats reserved was instead a freezing cold 3 car Turbo with no working toilet, (unless this was because it was before departure), tables or ledges for drinks etc.
I know the train was only leaving a minute earlier but no mention of the change was communicated to me prior to today nor AFAIK at the station or on the train and it could have caused somebody to miss the train...does anybody know what happened?
Are you sure you didn't get 07:22 from Realtime Trains? The times on there can often be the physical times rather than the advertised ones.
In my neck of the woods, HSTs are often replaced by another type of unit, all it takes is a brake failure on one coach at the last minute and the unit is temporarily out of use. It's good that GWR still managed to proivde at-seat refreshments though.

Leisurefirst

Are you sure you didn't get 07:22 from Realtime Trains? The times on there can often be the physical times rather than the advertised ones.
In my neck of the woods, HSTs are often replaced by another type of unit, all it takes is a brake failure on one coach at the last minute and the unit is temporarily out of use. It's good that GWR still managed to proivde at-seat refreshments though.

Hi,
No, definitely booked on 07.22 on GWR website and on reservation coupon with tickets collected this morning just before departure. Also checked National Rail website for next Saturday and that's 07.22 as well.
Re refreshments...don't know where they expected anyone to put hot drink other than floor! Was the toilet out of use just because the train hadn't departed Paddington yet? (We were in another carriage and I didn't check again).

MG11

Hi,
No, definitely booked on 07.22 on GWR website and on reservation coupon with tickets collected this morning just before departure. Also checked National Rail website for next Saturday and that's 07.22 as well.
Re refreshments...don't know where they expected anyone to put hot drink other than floor! Was the toilet out of use just because the train hadn't departed Paddington yet? (We were in another carriage and I didn't check again).
Hmmm the timing is a strange one, I've never heard of the timings on an Advance ticket being printed wrong.

AFAIK there is not automatic system that stops people using the toilet whilst in a station. Some Guards might lock the toilet out of use until after the ticket check to prevent fare evasion though (I know of a Northern Guard who does this). It might be worth asking @GWRHelp on Twitter for confirmation, especially with regards to the timings on your ticket.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It’s simply a timetable change, likely owing to engineering works or a possession. Common at the weekend.

There’s often no warning of it; you certainly wouldn’t knownhad you bought the ticket at a station. It’s still poor though that TOCs aren’t communicating these changes regularly to online bookers, where customer contact information is definitely available.

Ianigsy

It's happened to me about 15 years ago when I was travelling from London to Leeds and a diversion on the Hertford loop was cancelled, so my 12.00 train became the 12.30. I think the information at King's Cross was fairly clear because it applied to all main line departures.

From what I remember, the main issue was the train manager having to make repeated announcements that the train was the retimed 12.00 not the 13.00 and anybody with tickets for that train would have to wait for the 13.30.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hmmm the timing is a strange one, I've never heard of the timings on an Advance ticket being printed wrong.
You misunderstand: it's not the timings being printed wrong. It's a timetable change. It happens a lot.

Passengers can take the retimed train or an earlier/later one as appropriate to their particular journey requirements.
AFAIK there is not automatic system that stops people using the toilet whilst in a station.
There is on some trains.

jimm

Established Member
Hi,

I believe that the 07.22 on a Saturday is now meant to be operated by an IET, but as GWR are playing catch-up when it comes to crew training, if there isn't a driver or guard available who can work an 800 then a Turbo or HST will be used instead, depending on what can be rustled up, which appears to be what happened yesterday. No idea why it was retimed by a minute as the Saturday times are leisurely enough that a Turbo can keep up with them.

If no toilet is working on a Cotswold Line Turbo, then the guards will often arrange a slightly extended stop at Moreton-in-Marsh or Evesham to allow people to use the toilets during times when the stations are staffed.

There is a Rail Gourmet depot at Oxford, so that's why the trolley joined the train there.

Master29

Established Member
I believe that the 07.22 on a Saturday is now meant to be operated by an IET, but as GWR are playing catch-up when it comes to crew training, if there isn't a driver or guard available who can work an 800 then a Turbo or HST will be used instead, depending on what can be rustled up, which appears to be what happened yesterday. No idea why it was retimed by a minute as the Saturday times are leisurely enough that a Turbo can keep up with them.

If no toilet is working on a Cotswold Line Turbo, then the guards will often arrange a slightly extended stop at Moreton-in-Marsh or Evesham to allow people to use the toilets during times when the stations are staffed.

There is a Rail Gourmet depot at Oxford, so that's why the trolley joined the train there.

It is common for the trolley service to start from Oxford for the very reason you state. I notice it regularly on Realtime Trains.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Substitutions with turbos are far too common on that line. The other day an HST was changed to a two set turbo right in the peak, leading to a miserable journey back from Paddington to Ledbury. A real waste of a first class ticket, as well.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Substitutions with turbos are far too common on that line. The other day an HST was changed to a two set turbo right in the peak, leading to a miserable journey back from Paddington to Ledbury. A real waste of a first class ticket, as well.

But surely that is better than the service being cancelled?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
But surely that is better than the service being cancelled?
I'd much rather a cancellation. Delay repay, a wait in the first class lounge with refreshments and the next proper HST where I can get the laptop out and work properly, also with proper catering.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
And all the other passengers don't matter?
Every single passenger in my (admittedly limited) poll of the two bays nearby said they would have rather taken the next train to Worcester, which was an HST and was only ten minutes later because of the delay to our turbo. But advance tickets don't allow that, so we all had a cold and uncomfortable journey with no catering or power.

Status
Not open for further replies.