Advance Fare FAQ for Transport Focus

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Starmill, 10 Mar 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

I currently have a case with Transport Focus where I believe the Advance Fare FAQ may inform their decision. Unfortunately, they haven't considered it - because they can't find it. I have suggested that they consider it and they have asked me for a copy of it so it appears they are willing to consider it as part of the evidence for their investigation. I emailed them attaching the copy of the document from the forum's Fares & Ticketing Guide but have replied as follows:

Does anyone have any suggestions please. Thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's in iKB isn't it? Though having never used iKB I couldn't advise where it is within there!

4. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Pretty sure it is.

5. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Could this be what they are calling the "National Fares Manual"? I thought the NFM was just a database rather than anything that contained any retail instructions.

6. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

The National Fare Manual (NFM) is part of National Rail Enquiries (internal) Knowledgebase (iKB), but iKB is much more than just the NFM, it also covers the old Guards Handbook and Retail Manual 1 and 2. I don't know if Transport Focus actually have access to iKB as access is limited to certain IP addresses as I understand it.

The FAQs are in iKB, but not in the NFM.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2016
  7. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

It's difficult to know what base of knowledge Transport Focus are working from, but hairyhandedfool is correct about the location of the FAQs. My concern would not be whether TF have access to iKB, but whether they know it exists!

8. ainsworth74

This would also be my concern!

However if pointed in the right direction, even if they don't have access, I would imagine that they could get someone within ATOC to get them the right information.

9. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't hold high hopes if I were you. They couldn't even read the bloody document when it was supplied to them in black and white last time I had to get in touch.

10. ainsworth74

I must admit they do appear to be utterly incompetent. I've read an email exchange posted somewhere on the forum and it sounds like they have one person who knows there stuff but all the frontline 'caseworkers' (I use the term loosely as if in my work we had caseworkers that unknowledgeable we'd be closed down) don't appear to have any real understanding.

11. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Transport Focus do lack competent people.

If a manager is reading this, how about you arrange for some of your staff to attend our Fares Workshops? We'd not charge a penny for this! Please do contact us!

Perhaps we could also have a system whereby people with legitimate problems on this forum can be 'fast tracked' to a knowledgeable person within Transport Focus?

At present, Transport Focus is unable to do much for passengers with complex issues, because no-one (apart from Mr Sidebottom...if he's still there?) seems to have the required level of knowledge. That cannot be allowed to continue, surely?

12. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ask if you can get in touch with Phil Wilks. He was the one that helped with my case back in 2013.

13. maniacmartin

maniacmartin Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

He's been promoted. He's now 'Passenger Director, so its likely he isn't usually involved with individual cases any more

14. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

David has held the Passenger director/Passenger team director role for nearly 5 years now. He does get involved with individual cases; in their Customer complaint handling procedure if you wish to make a complaint about Transport Focus, in the first instance the complaint will be reviewed by him. It is him who dealt with my complaint about Passenger Focus in 2013.

15. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think more of us need to do that. However my understanding is most people give up before this stage. Perhaps if we all did that, something would change.

16. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The FAQs reproduced from iKB.

Note that for Q4, amendment of any booking via Trainsplit will only attract one admin fee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.