• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railguy220

Hi all,

I'm due to be travelling home from uni between Ormskirk and Prudhoe on Thursday 29th and I have a few questions. I currently have two sets of tickets as the first set looked like they had been lost in the post, but they have now after an eternity arrived. Now, my dad has kindly paid for both of them and bought me first class seats. The first set of tickets is travelling with Transpennine express and the second is Virgin. The first set of tickets only has my surname on them but; the second set has the initial of my dads first name initial on them. I am using a 16-25 railcard which has my first initial written on it, which is different from my dads. So, can I still use the second set and travel with Virgin or do I have to use the First set and travel with Transpennine? My middle name has the same initial as my dads name so, could I say my preferred name is my middle name as long as I can prove that it is true? Will they even check that the names on both the tickets and railcard match?

(Sorry if the title seems vague as I couldn't think of a simple way of titling this thread!)

Thanks,
Railguy

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Name printed on the ticket doesn't really matter. Don't worry.

gray1404

Established Member
name printed on ticket dones't matter. That tends to just be the name of the person for whom brought the ticket i.e. name on the card. There is nothing stopping another person buying a ticket for you to then use. I do it for my cousins all the time. The tickets arrive with my name on the bottom and they use their railcards with a different name. totally fine :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
It depends on the type of ticket. If the ticket is the standard orange card ticket then the name is not important, but if it is a Self Print ticket then the name usually relates to the form of identification to be produced in conjunction with the ticket. In this case there may be a problem with using this type of ticket if your name is not the same as printed.

Railguy220

Thanks for the replies, yes they are standard orange tickets. My main concern was that the ticket wouldn't be valid with my railcard because of the two different names, but it seems that is not an issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Now, my dad has kindly paid for both of them and bought me first class seats. ...
That's fine. Sometimes the name of the purchaser appears on the tickets. Providing you avoid onerous e-tickets such as "Print@Home" and mobile tickets (which significantly reduce passenger rights and require the name of the passenger to be specified; these are best avoided entirely), there is no problem purchasing any 'normal' ticket for someone else. I buy tickets for other people all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.