• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance more expensive than walk-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
I have just looked up a ticket price from Exeter to Paddington on Friday and for the 09:57 departure it is offering a £42 advance single. What's the point of this advance fare when the walk-up single is only £40?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have just looked up a ticket price from Exeter to Paddington on Friday and for the 09:57 departure it is offering a £42 advance single. What's the point of this advance fare when the walk-up single is only £40?

To earn more money?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This is quite common; FGW probably only worry about the number of cheaper AP tickets to release for each train, and use the same number of the more expensive ones for all. The £42 ticket would be good value when the walk-up fare would be an Anytime.

Also, they will sell at least some of them! Bonus for FGW.

edit: You could also choose Advance singles at £57.50, £73 or £89.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
£40 is the super off-peak single. An advance at £42 might be desirable on earlier trains where the super off-peak single isn't available, but it looks like the booking engine isn't intelligent enough to hide it for this particular train (where obviously there is no point in buying it).

Zoe

Established Member
What's interesting here is that when I have said walk-up fares are too expensive I've been told to just book in advance. It seems that you have to book some time in advance though to get a significant saving on the walk-up fare. Some trains have the advance single at exactly half the price of the walk-up fare even when booking two weeks in advance.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Its such an arbitrary market, though, that even the experience of finding Advances at a higher price than a 'walk-up' fare cannot be consistently assured across those flows (or operators).

It would be facile to dismiss these incidences of 'expensive' Advances as the hazard which any consumer faces when buying without due care and attention to the details of the product; I say that because going to work or visting a relative are what the consumer is doing, the journey is just part of the means of achieving that as much as choosing the appropriate clothes.
But spendng time examining the minutiae of the offers available on the same train between A & B before travelling is tiresome enough, to have to expect that the advertised cheapest tickets might not be the cheapest is really asking too much of the casual or local traveller.

There are other anomalies with Advance pricing (which have been discussed to death on here) but the sad fact remains that they all persist.

RJ

Established Member

I've previously suggested getting a Priv - reduces the walkup fare to somewhere between £15 and £27!

RJ

Established Member

graham43404

I always find it funny with Virgin Trains when from time to time First Class advance is cheaper than standard.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I always find it funny with Virgin Trains when from time to time First Class advance is cheaper than standard.

But that does actually make sense - kind of - when you consider that on my trains Standard Class is often full while First Class is almost empty. When that happens, it seems sensible to sell expensive Standard Class tickets and "cheap" (cheaper) First Class tickets.

Zoe

Established Member
I've previously suggested getting a Priv - reduces the walkup fare to somewhere between £15 and £27!
You only get 75% off an Anytime fare though, not Off Peak fares.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Would you like my opinion?
(No, I thought not. You know already.)

If you don't ask you don't get. ;)

I don't know what they could actually do, apart from forcing ATOC to implement a better system of displaying fares, so that customers are not mislead (as much).

Simon11

Established Member
I don't see how it is such an issue. If anything its a bonus for passengers.

The most likely caused is that there has been a huge amount of people wishing to travel on that train or a large group.

This means the lower tier bands of advance are skipped to a more expensive fare. This encourages passengers to travel on other trains to spread the loadings, reducing overcrowding.
If you wish to travel on this train the off peak would be cheaper, but I would bet a few later trains offer a better deal.
As said many times previously, the cheapest advance fares go online around 12 weeks before departures.
For thoughs over 55, have a look at the club55 promotion!

RJ

Established Member
Would you like my opinion?
(No, I thought not. You know already.)

I'm not particularly fussed to be honest, if there is a real issue here then it'd be more productive to tell someone who has the power to change it.

graham43404

But that does actually make sense - kind of - when you consider that on my trains Standard Class is often full while First Class is almost empty. When that happens, it seems sensible to sell expensive Standard Class tickets and "cheap" (cheaper) First Class tickets.
It does, in a twisted sort of way :lol:

Zoe

Established Member
I don't see how it is such an issue. If anything its a bonus for passengers.
It's a bonus that a passnger has paid £42 for a train specific advance fare when they could have paid £40 for a ticket they could use on any off peak train?

RJ

Established Member
It's a bonus that a passnger has paid £42 for a train specific advance fare when they could have paid £40 for a ticket they could use on any off peak train?

It might be if that train is full, you have a seat reservation with the Advance ticket. You might have to pay £5 for that privilege if you didn't reserve a seat when buying the ticket.

Zoe

Established Member
It might be if that train is full, you have a seat reservation with the Advance ticket. You might have to pay £5 for that privilege if you didn't reserve a seat when buying the ticket.
Or you could just pay £40 for a walk-up fare and get a reservation at the same time and still have the ability to choose a diffrent train.

richw

Veteran Member
Or you could just pay £40 for a walk-up fare and get a reservation at the same time and still have the ability to choose a diffrent train.

My thoughts also,

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

RJ

Established Member

Assuming they're still available - reservations can easily become booked up days before the train goes. And no, Advance quotas and general reservation quotas are not taken from the same pool.

Zoe

Established Member
Assuming they're still available - reservations can easily become booked up days before the train goes. And no, Advance quotas and general reservation quotas are not taken from the same pool.
Why not? Do the TOCs see people with advance fares as more deserving of a seat? I think there is a case here for making more general reservations available and not an excuse for getting people to buy a more expensive advance fare just so they can get a seat.

Last edited:

Olympian

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/advance.html

I note that ATOC are very careful to never mention that Advance fares are always cheaper than walk-up fares, but it is definitely implied that Advance fares will save you money. If they don't in all cases, I think a complaint to the ASA is justified! (If it hasn't been done already.)

I agree, and sometimes advance fares are considerably more expensive than walk-ups. Try Preston to Wigan on 1058 train on 8th November. First Anytime Day Single £9, First Advance Single.....£56.50!! Oddly this is only shown on Trainline-powered sites, with WebTIS ones not showing this fare but giving slightly cheaper First Advance Singles at a mere £35 on some other journeys that day but not this one. According to WebTIS the first advance tickets range from £25.50 to £44, all more expensive than the walk-up fare. Crazy.

Zoe

Established Member
all more expensive than the walk-up fare. Crazy.
But if you read above, there have been suggestions that having walk-up fares more expensive than the advance fares is actually helpful to the passenger as they can use the advance fare to get a seat whereas this wouldn't be done with the walk-up fare.

All Line Rover

Established Member
But if you read above, there have been suggestions that having walk-up fares more expensive than the advance fares is actually helpful to the passenger as they can use the advance fare to get a seat whereas this wouldn't be done with the walk-up fare.

:roll: Poppycock. I'm sure someone would love to pay over £40 for the privilege of having a seat reserved for them in FIRST CLASS between Wigan and Preston. :roll:

richw

Veteran Member

Book a walk up fare in advance....you can then request a reserved seat when you book.

Zoe

Established Member
Book a walk up fare in advance....you can then request a reserved seat when you book.
See above though, the reservations for walk-up fares are taken from a different pool to the reservations for advance fares and there may not be any reservations available for walk-up fares by the time you book. I didn't realize this until it was posted earlier in the thread.

richw

Veteran Member
I've always managed to get a reservation buying a walk up the night before, to travel next morning
Assuming this is the case majority of time,

Status
Not open for further replies.