• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Purchase Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Hi, can somebody answer this query for me please. If for example I buy two single AP tickets to get to my destination ie. Manchester to York booked with TPE, then onwards to Newcastle with NXEC. What happens if the TPE is late into York and I miss my NEXC connection on which I have a reservation to Newastle? Am I then required to purchase a new ticket?

Cheers
Confused Chris!:lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
This happened to me a while back, surprisingly with the same operators at Doncaster.

I have to go find someone important who gave me a form giving me entitlement to travel on the next NXEC train

asylumxl

Established Member
With connections, as far as I'm aware, if you miss a changeover due to something beyond your control, provided you are authorised to do so, you may take the next train to your destination.

This is what I've found from experience anyway, and remember it being.

*Edit*: Chris beat me to it :)

clagmonster

Established Member
The conditions of carriage (available from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf ) State:
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover
the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at the station where you change from one ticket to
another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season
Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or
local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

43. Help from Train Companies if you are stranded
If disruption caused by circumstances within the control of a Train Company or
a Rail Service Company leaves you stranded before you have reached your
destination and the Train Company whose trains you are entitled to use is unable
to get you to that destination by other means, any Train Company which is in a
position to help will, if it reasonably can, either arrange to get you to that
destination, or provide overnight accommodation for you.

As can be seen, clause 19 states that you are considered to be making one journey, and clause 43 states that in the event of canellation, delay etc, then the TOCs should get you home.

ian13

It's actually not that clear cut. The NRCOC imply that if it's one advance ticket and you were to miss your connection, you can travel on the next one, as its classed as one journey. However, it's not clear if multiple tickets can equate to one journey (thus providing the protection) or not. In effect, it's quite possible you might have to buy a ticket if you were to miss it.

spoony

With connections, as far as I'm aware, if you miss a changeover due to something beyond your control, provided you are authorised to do so, you may take the next train to your destination.

This is what I've found from experience anyway, and remember it being.

*Edit*: Chris beat me to it :)

Thats what I thought, however I do not have a ticket that says Manchester - Newcastle, just two singles with nothing to link them together. Thats where my concern lies, I have given myself 15 minutes between connections which should be adequate (I have an outbound journey to do on the same day en route to Bolton). I do worry though if ne train is late it will have a knock on effect and I will end up paying a fortune.:|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The conditions of carriage (available from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf ) State:
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover
the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at the station where you change from one ticket to
another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season
Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or
local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

43. Help from Train Companies if you are stranded
If disruption caused by circumstances within the control of a Train Company or
a Rail Service Company leaves you stranded before you have reached your
destination and the Train Company whose trains you are entitled to use is unable
to get you to that destination by other means, any Train Company which is in a
position to help will, if it reasonably can, either arrange to get you to that
destination, or provide overnight accommodation for you.

As can be seen, clause 19 states that you are considered to be making one journey, and clause 43 states that in the event of canellation, delay etc, then the TOCs should get you home.

Thank you very much, that puts my mind at ease:D

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I think you could find yourself with burnt fingers on this one, a TOC is only required to get you to the destination on your ticket so should the Manchester to York journey be disrupted TPE has an obligation to get you to York but thereafter you are on your own. And NXEC fully entitled to say that it is not their fault that TPE were unable to get you to York in time and thus you may be asked to buy a new ticket.

Just such a situation happened a couple of days ago when I was at work, a guy travelled to the coast from Victoria on a cheap AP ticket but due to severe delays he was over two hours late arriving at his destination and actually arrived the scheduled departure time for his return train. In this instance I asked the guy what time he now intended to return to London and endorsed his ticket to permit travel on that service. Strictly speaking I could have said that he would need to buy a new ticket but I let common sense prevail, but if the gripper on your York to Newcastle is not so tolerant you could find yourself being mugged for a Standard Open Single.

clagmonster

Established Member
If I were in a similar position to the one that Spoony has described, I would firstly speak to the guard on the TPE service, to see if he would authorise the onward travel.
If this was unsuccessful, there is then the option to see station staff at York. I would assume one of the booking office, information desk or if there is one DSM's office would be the best places to go. If you fail, write to Transpennine. If you are more than 30 minutes late at York, the very least they will do is refun the Manchester-York portion.

spoony

I dont envisage there being any problem with the jorney I am making, But I would hate to be hit with extra charges for something that is beyond my control:|

My itineray for the day is 08.33 Newcastle - York arriving 09.33, then 09.58 York - Man. The return is 18.57 arriving York 20.25 I think, then I have a reservation on the 20.41 York to Newcastle. It could end up being quite costly if it goes wrong.

northernbored

The platform staff and customer service manager at york are very helpful, the other night my train was delayed therefore I missed my connection onto the final train home. The platform staff nor the manager never batted an eyelid to what ticket I had never even asking to see it and just instantly sorted out a revised train then taxi journey for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.