• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Purchase to Edinburgh but get off at Haymarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

I'm planning to buy an advance purchase ticket from Lancaster to Edinburgh for mid-November.

At this point in time, I'm not sure if I'd rather get off at Haymarket or Edinburgh Waverley.

The ticket I'm buying will be "to Edinburgh" and as it's an advance purchase ticket, I know I'm not allowed to stop one journey short at Haymarket.

But, given the fact the two stations are so close together, do the train staff up there accept long distance tickets as valid to alight at either?

So, I buy an advance purchase ticket to Edinburgh [presumably it won't say 'Waverley' on it but that's the station it means]. What would actually happen if I attempt to get off at Haymarket and pass through the ticket barriers?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Waverley and Haymarket form an unofficial station group. I would be surprised in the extreme if anyone even raised an eyelid about it.

jednick

Will my ticket go through the barriers at Haymarket?

If not, do you think the staff would be used to seeing this sort of thing, and be o.k. with it?

Established Member
I was told last year that I could board at Haymarket with an Edinburgh-Manchester advance.

As it turned out, I had a lot more time than expected. I left Haymarket station with another ticket (which was to Edinburgh-I forget the origin.) I was advised the barrier WOULD retain my ticket, but as I was carrying onto Waverley but simply stopping at the chippy, I was let through no problem.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
The landlady of the pub near the station here bought 20 aP's to EdB for last years six nations but forgot the hotel they were staying in was next to Haymarket they all got on and off at Haymarket without hassle.

class17

As the others have said, you will be OK. I do it regularly, especially if going forward by tram or some bus routes as the tram passed right next to Haymarket railway station.

Just remember to ask to keep your ticket if your train is delayed and you need it for delay replay.

Incidentally, last week I asked for a PlusBus ticket from the Virgin guard, but he was unable to sell me one from his device. Not sure if they have been upgraded from the last time I purchased an Edinburgh PlusBus.

xotGD

Established Member
As the others have said, you will be OK. I do it regularly, especially if going forward by tram or some bus routes as the tram passed right next to Haymarket railway station.

Just remember to ask to keep your ticket if your train is delayed and you need it for delay replay.

Incidentally, last week I asked for a PlusBus ticket from the Virgin guard, but he was unable to sell me one from his device. Not sure if they have been upgraded from the last time I purchased an Edinburgh PlusBus.
Regarding delay repay, if the train was 31 late into Haymarket and 29 late into Waverley, would you be able to claim with a ticket to 'Edinburgh'?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Waverley and Haymarket form an unofficial station group. I would be surprised in the extreme if anyone even raised an eyelid about it.
Does the same theory work in, say, Manchester (AP ticket to Piccadilly but alight at Oxford Road/Deansgate/Victoria?)
If so where do you draw the line? Salford Crescent/Central?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regarding delay repay, if the train was 31 late into Haymarket and 29 late into Waverley, would you be able to claim with a ticket to 'Edinburgh'?

You can claim for the journey you actually made, AIUI, so I would say you would have a claim there but would be well advised to have your ticket endorsed at Haymarket to prove you actually did alight there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does the same theory work in, say, Manchester (AP ticket to Piccadilly but alight at Oxford Road/Deansgate/Victoria?)
If so where do you draw the line? Salford Crescent/Central?

That's different because there is a proper station group (which your ticket is almost certainly issued to). I don't understand, to be honest, why this unwritten rule has existed so long - it would be easier just to issue tickets to "Edinburgh Waverley or Haymkt" or somesuch.

island

Veteran Member
Local practice is to treat tickets to Edinburgh and Haymarket interchangeably. You will be fine.

ScotTrains

A few months ago I had an advance 1st from Haymarket to York but decided to alight at Waverley to use the 1st class lounge. The lounge staff questioned it and said I should have boarded at Haymarket. I pretended I hadn't realised it was from Haymarket and they did let me in. In future I might pay the extra to start the journey from Waverley to avoid any awkwardness.

najaB

Veteran Member
A few months ago I had an advance 1st from Haymarket to York but decided to alight at Waverley to use the 1st class lounge. The lounge staff questioned it and said I should have boarded at Haymarket.
That's slightly different though as you were using the lounge facilities. In theory the higher price from Waverley vs Haymarket pays to run the lounge so you were trying to get something for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.