• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket advice from Gatwick Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick69

hello,
i'm flying from/to gatwick in feb and need advice on advanced tickets.

i usually fly manchester and use tp express where if my in-bound flight is delayed my advanced ticket is still valid up to 3hrs later even though i've missed my original train.

does this same rule apply from gatwick?
i'm guessing not as i'd be traveling home using 2 rail companies, gatwick express and virgin east coast

tickets aren't on sale yet but guessing i'd save around £40 than on a standard return based on tickets that are on sale now for the same time frame needed,
obviously i'd pay the extra if they don't do the same as on tp express

thanks, mick

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unfortunately no such concession exists for Gatwick Airport. If you give us fuller details of your journey we will be better able to advise on the most appropriate tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
i'm guessing not as i'd be traveling home using 2 rail companies, gatwick express and virgin east coast
It is two companies, but the first company is Govia Thameslink Railway, who operate all Gatwick to London trains, and you could take the first available fast London service (either changing at St Pancras or Victoria would be best)

Perhaps you could book a later train from King's Cross and aim to have a meal at somewhere like the Parcel Yard or Betjeman Arms? (Or Leon, Giraffe etc)

Advance tickets do not allow a "break of journey" but consuming food within St Pancras/King's Cross stations wouldn't constitute a break of journey, so is allowed.
tickets aren't on sale yet but guessing i'd save around £40 than on a standard return based on tickets that are on sale now for the same time frame needed,
obviously i'd pay the extra if they don't do the same as on tp express

thanks, mick
If you book through trainsplit.com and you miss the train, you can get a refund minus £10 admin fee by sending a copy of the replacement tickets with your refund claim for the original tickets.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
hello,
i'm flying from/to gatwick in feb and need advice on advanced tickets.

i usually fly manchester and use tp express where if my in-bound flight is delayed my advanced ticket is still valid up to 3hrs later even though i've missed my original train.

does this same rule apply from gatwick?....

The tickets from Manchester Airport (and I think Liverpool South Parkway) that you refer to are actually "Airport Advance" fares rather than the regular "Advance". The time allowance, if your flight is late, is specific to this ticket type and is not a rule as such.

As far as I know, there are no such tickets from Gatwick, regardless of operator.

mick69

i'm after either doncaster or sheffield to gatwick return though doncaster is the better.
i didn't think i'd get the same "offer" if my flight was delayed but worth asking.
i'll play it safe and opt for an open return as it's February and who knows what the weather will be like, knowing my luck i'd allow for a 2hr delay and end up with 3

thanks all for the replies

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
i'm after either doncaster or sheffield to gatwick return though doncaster is the better.
You have one hour leeway either side of your booked train then:

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/feel-the-power-of-an-hour/

Check if it's cheaper to get Gatwick - Doncaster or "split" in London.

If you travel outside peak times (ie, avoid tapping in between 0630-0930 Mon-Fri ) the Oyster fare from Gatwick to St Pancras is only £8, or it's £10.20 via Victoria if you avoid tapping at Victoria Platforms 13/14.

mick69

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/feel-the-power-of-an-hour/

If you travel outside peak times (ie, avoid tapping in between 0630-0930 Mon-Fri ) the Oyster fare from Gatwick to St Pancras is only £8, or it's £10.20 via Victoria if you avoid tapping at Victoria Platforms 13/14.

ought to have added my lad will also be with me and i have a f&f railcard if it helps, both legs of journey are off peak too, the equivalent journey i'd need if bought in october can be had for £85 super off peak

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, it's up to you; if you can get dirt cheap Advances and think the flexibility of an hour's leeway either side is OK, go for it. And if not, get the flexible fare.

The Parcel Yard (KGX) or The Betjeman Arms (STP) are good places to wait, if you book a train with a bit of of a wait and need to wait for a train within the 1 hour window.

mick69

Well, it's up to you; if you can get dirt cheap Advances and think the flexibility of an hour's leeway either side is OK, go for it. And if not, get the flexible fare.

The Parcel Yard (KGX) or The Betjeman Arms (STP) are good places to wait, if you book a train with a bit of of a wait and need to wait for a train within the 1 hour window.

i'll keep tabs on prices once they go on sale, i'd wait 2hrs in a pub after a flight but with a kid :D

cav1975

This seems to be a promotion that ends for travel up to 24th July.

"Promotion booking and travel period 25 April – 24 July 2016"

LesS

It is my conclusion that Gatwick Airport fares are set to raise as much as possible.
Last year I purchased an off peak ticket from St Pancras on a Sunday. Returning about a week later on a weekday only Anytime fares were available from Gatwick.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is my conclusion that Gatwick Airport fares are set to raise as much as possible.
Last year I purchased an off peak ticket from St Pancras on a Sunday. Returning about a week later on a weekday only Anytime fares were available from Gatwick.
On a Sunday it would be super off peak at £7.90 which is a bargain

On a weekday it would be an Anytime as you say but that's only about £10.30 which is much cheaper than any walk up fare from York!!!

However I suspect one day those fares will rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.