• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket booked but train no longer running

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

Hello all.

A few weeks ago I booked a single from Norwich to London Liverpool Street under NE East Anglia's old £5 advance single promo.

The train in question was the 07:00 Norwich to Liverpool Street on the 31st March. This train has now been cancelled due to engineering works, so my question is will my ticket still be valid on the earlier service which runs to connect to the bus and there onto the train which gets into Liverpool Street at it's original arrival time.

I'm going to give Greater Anglia a ring but always like have some insider knowledge when doing so!

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Can't imagine why not. You could probably argue for a refund if you want a refund.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The ticket issuer should be able to transfer you to a service that is running at no cost.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is no requirement to even be aware of the change, let alone contact them about it, but you can if you wish.

If your train is cancelled you are entitled to a refund if you choose not to travel. If you do choose to travel you can use either the train before, or train after (whichever is most convenient), the train you originally were booked to catch.

stu

Thanks Yorkie.

I'll mostly likely get an earlier one to make a London Paddington connection back to Bath.

I'm surprised this has happened though as I thought advance tickets at the weekend weren't released until engineering works were confirmed - and the closure on this line seem to be a regular thing every weekend at the moment!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm surprised this has happened though as I thought advance tickets at the weekend weren't released until engineering works were confirmed - and the closure on this line seem to be a regular thing every weekend at the moment!
They are... but Network Rail sometimes change their mind about what works will take place. It's happened to me a few times, not many though. I didn't contact anyone and simply took the preceding train. If I had not checked the times before travel, it is likely I'd have been on the later train.

34D

Established Member
The ticket issuer should be able to transfer you to a service that is running at no cost.

You will, of course, get more flexibility if you _dont_ do this.

Though the advantage of what HHF suggests is that you would get reserved seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.