• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket for train that no longer exists...

Status
Not open for further replies.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Tommorow I'm booked on a journey from Ipswich to Southend Central that involves changing at Liverpool Street and walking to Fenchurch Street for the 11:48 train to Southend Central.

However the 11:48 train from Fenchurch Street to Southend Central does not appear to exist in the timetable any longer.

Since this is an advance ticket, what train would this be valid on now
- the 11:45 from Liverpool Street to Southend Central
or
- the 11.53 from Fenchurch Street to Southend Central?

Obviously getting the train from Liverpool Street is going to be much easier, but my ticket is from Fenchurch Street, so technically I should probably go there, but in reality that train from Liverpool Street appears to be my train, just operated from there rather than Fenchurch Street, so it leaves me a little bit confused.

Do I have to get the ticket endorsed?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Either would seem reasonable. If you are coming into LST as you imply, you might as well try there first.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't find any Advance fares from Colchester to Southend Central/Stations.

As a general principle you may take the train before, or after, your booked train on the same route/company. You may use a different company if the ticket allows it and/or if you are given permission to do so.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The ticket details are

10:09 - Ipswich 11:19 - London Liverpool Street Train (GREATER ANGLIA) Reserved - no seat allocated.
11:19 - London Liverpool Street 11:48 - London Fenchurch Street Foot (Unknown Service Provider) Reservation not possible.
11:48 - London Fenchurch Street 12:33 - Southend Central Train (C2C) Reservation not possible.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What was the price of the ticket? (And do you have any discount applied?)

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I can't find any Advance fares from Colchester to Southend Central/Stations.

As a general principle you may take the train before, or after, your booked train on the same route/company. You may use a different company if the ticket allows it and/or if you are given permission to do so.

Yes - but both the
- the 11:45 from Liverpool Street to Southend Central
- the 11.53 from Fenchurch Street to Southend Central

Are operated by C2C and the 11:45 from Liverpool Street to Southend Central appears to be my original train, which is now operating from Liverpool Street as opposed to Fenchurch Street, hence my question.

So it's a bit of a grey area if I can use the Liverpool Street train or not?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The routeing is Greater Anglia & connections so you may take any appropriate connecting service to Southend.

MarlowDonkey

11:19 - London Liverpool Street 11:48 - London Fenchurch Street Foot (Unknown Service Provider) Reservation not possible.
11:48 - London Fenchurch Street 12:33 - Southend Central Train (C2C) Reservation not possible.

With Advance tickets, where it's "Reservation not Possible", that's a connecting service and within reason you have a choice of trains. The Advance is Ipswich to London with an add on to Southend.

hkstudent

Established Member
With Advance tickets, where it's "Reservation not Possible", that's a connecting service and within reason you have a choice of trains. The Advance is Ipswich to London with an add on to Southend.
And, if the train from Ipswich arrives very early, OP may even take an earlier (1115) departure from LST

philthetube

Established Member
The ticket details are

10:09 - Ipswich 11:19 - London Liverpool Street Train (GREATER ANGLIA) Reserved - no seat allocated.

very disappointing they wont let you reserve a seat between Liverpool st. and Fenchurch st. :E:E

LesS

Several years ago I had an advance ticket Euston to Crewe by London Midland (no reservation possible). It was for a holiday weekend Sunday.
On arrival, early, at Euston the train was not listed on the departure board. There was another service at an earlier time to Northampton with a not to change there for Crewe. In frustration I simply followed the departure board. At Northampton there were several of us searching for the ongoing train. There was no signage. There were no ticket checks. If there had been I would have simply shrugged and said "Its your railway, not mine."

cactustwirly

Established Member
The ticket details are

The only reservation you have is from Ipswich to Liverpool Street, this is the train you have to be on.
After that you can take any reasonable connecting service to Southend Airport

MP33

I would have thought that it would be quicker to travel from Ipswich to Shenfield and then get a train from there to Southend Victoria and walk the short distance to Southend Central.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Changing at Shenfield wouldn't be valid if the Advance ticket has a seat reservation all the way into Liverpool St though

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Everything is fine as expected although the loos in both fenchurch street and Southend central are a disgrace.
I would have thought that it would be quicker to travel from Ipswich to Shenfield and then get a train from there to Southend Victoria and walk the short distance to Southend Central.

Not really. Buses are replacing trains on the line to Southend Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.