• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket non-refundable: can I change to Anytime, then get a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehhh

Hello - I purchased Advance single tickets from the GWR website in April, for travel in June. it is looking as if I won't be able to travel (my flight into Heathrow has been cancelled). I understand that the advance ticket can't be refunded, but I can go into the website and amend the booking to an Anytime booking (at no cost, it seems). It looks as if they would then issue new tickets. My question is, can I then get a refund for the new, anytime tickets?

It seems like a loophole, and I don't want to do anything wrong (I will swallow the loss), but is this allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Hello - I purchased Advance single tickets from the GWR website in April, for travel in June. it is looking as if I won't be able to travel (my flight into Heathrow has been cancelled). I understand that the advance ticket can't be refunded, but I can go into the website and amend the booking to an Anytime booking (at no cost, it seems). It looks as if they would then issue new tickets. My question is, can I then get a refund for the new, anytime tickets?

It seems like a loophole, and I don't want to do anything wrong (I will swallow the loss), but is this allowed?
If you had purchased them before 23rd March, then you would be able to refund them (provided you requested the refund before the firrst train departed). This is a special dispensation to the normal Advance ticket T&Cs, agreed between DfT and TOCs.

As you have purchased them after 23rd March, normal Advance T&Cs apply - you can amend them (same journey and route, but different date, and still Advance tickets) but not refund them. A fee may apply.

js517

When issuing a refund, the ticket seller is required to check against any earlier related tickets and the refund calculation should be based on the rules for these ticket types.

I.e. the any time ticket would be treated as if it were an advance for refund purposes and in normal circumstances only changes rather than refunds would be allowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.