• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

swcovas

Can someone help? I'm booking a ticket from Stanstead to bridgend for friday 6th July. I've done this many times before and know that I have to insert credit card into the ticket machine before being able to collect my ticket. Unfortunately on this occasion I won't be able to have a credit card with me when I arrive. If i collect at the specified ticket office will a credit card still be required or will the booking reference number suffice.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
You must have the credit card used to purchase the ticket in order to collect and if you cannot present it, you will need to purchase a new ticket. Tickets purchased using e-vouchers, Tesco vouchers, etc. can be collected using any payment card.

What is preventing you from having the card with you? Would you be able to collect the ticket in advance? (You can collect it from any station with ticket collection facilities.)

swcovas

I live in Portugal and flying in to Stanstead. Unfortunately my wife needs the credit card here while I'm away. If I collect from booking office I'll still need the credit card I booked the ticket with?

island

Veteran Member
Your best option I think is to telephone the company from whom you purchased the ticket and ask if it would agree to amend the booking to allow collection with any card. This is entirely at the company's discretion, but if you explain the situation fully it may agree.

dzug2

I live in Portugal and flying in to Stanstead. Unfortunately my wife needs the credit card here while I'm away. If I collect from booking office I'll still need the credit card I booked the ticket with?

To be a bit pedantic, I would point out that sharing cards is against the T&C of every credit card I've ever come across. You should have one each, even for the same account

I suspect your main - indeed only - option is to buy on the day with cash.

daniel78

What if you lose a card before you collect the tickets, is that just tough luck?

Also with print at home tickets requiring the card as ID, I was wondering the same thing. If you lose the card you booked with in the mean-time, is there nothing you can do about it?

dave87016

Established Member
You could get in touch with the Train Company which you purchased from and providing there is sufficient time could ask if they could send the tickets to you ( in Portgual) not sure if they send them abroad though

telstarbox

Established Member
Unlikely unfortunately.
If you do have to buy tickets on the day, forum members here will be able to advise on possible ways to reduce the cost.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Have you booked the ticket already?

If so then it will be a matter of asking whoever you booked through whether they will set the booking to be collected using any card, as island suggests. This is technically possible but at the company's discretion.

If not then I would advise buying walk-up fares on arrival. Booking Advance tickets to connect with a flight is a risky business as if you're flight is delayed you'll be left with no ticket, so I'd not do it personally unless the Advance fares are extremely cheap and/or you're happy to include a long wait to cover delays.

Walk-on fares will be from ~£65 depending on travel time, if you can let us know some more details (travel time, railcards, single/return - even if you're returning to a different London airport) we can advise the best tickets for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.