• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

advance ticket query booked train only and connecting services

Status
Not open for further replies.
following on from the previous thread I posted here, I have a rather n00bish query about the conditions of my ticket.

I have an EC advance ticket from York [YRK] to Bedford [BDM] route EC and connections, valid on booked train only. I have a reservation on the east coast leg, but when I booked it put me onto an FCC service between St Pancakes [STP] and Bedford [BDM], I am booked onto the 10:56 out of York on the 19th of august, arriving at Kings Cross [KGX] at 13:00. the journey planner said to get the 13:32 FCC to Bedford.

what I want to know is whether I am allowed to get an earlier FCC train or even an EMT out of St Pancakes? I doubt that I can but I am just curious, I'd rather not be in the awkward situation of the guy at the barriers saying its ok but an RPI disagreeing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
EMT - no, as they are all reservable trains out of STP.
FCC - no reason why not, they are all to my knowledge unreservable so any "reasonable" connecting train may be taken.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The rules state that you may take "appropriate" connecting trains, and The Advance FAQs in The Manual provides some additional information:

Q25. Can passengers on an advance ticket travel on earlier connecting trains?

A.
Yes if it is non-reservable, no if it is reservable.

An exception that benefits customers: Where East Coast is a connecting TOC from Stevenage via London and vice versa e.g "AP London Reading" or "VWC & connections", East Coast waives the need for travel on the exact East Coast train booked on this relatively short journey Stevenage-Kings Cross, even though retail systems will force a reservation to be made.
Some recent topics include:

Perhaps you could write to EMT? I'd be interested to hear their response.

Sample letter:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I hold an Advance ticket from York to Bedford routed via London routed EC & Connections. This has given me a recommended connection time of half an hour. I would like to know if I can take an appropriate EMT service from St Pancras to Bedford on this ticket?

I am aware that, according to the Advance Fares FAQ in The Manual in general a reserveable train cannot be used as a connection, however an example of an exception is given that this does not apply to the short journey from London to Stevenage. Can you confirm if an exemption also applies to the similarly short journey from London to Bedford, allowing me to take an EMT train?

Thanks in advance.

Yours faithfully,

34D

Established Member
EMT - no, as they are all reservable trains out of STP.
FCC - no reason why not, they are all to my knowledge unreservable so any "reasonable" connecting train may be taken.

Wonder what would happen if the OP took his tickets to york ticket office and asked to make a reservation on the 13:30 stp-bdm-not service?

thanks for that guys, I probably should have looked harder before posting. but I'll look into querying it with EMT. It would be interesting to see what their stance on it is.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Wonder what would happen if the OP took his tickets to york ticket office and asked to make a reservation on the 13:30 stp-bdm-not service?

I wouldn't be surprised if they made the reservation - the staff there generally provide excellent customer service in my experience.

Why must it be "reasonable"? The ticket is valid all day - surely any train between 00:00 and 04:29 would be fine as long as it makes the connection and there is no break of journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.