• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Ticket Railcard type change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveB10780

I have two sets of Virgin advance tickets linked to a senior railcard which is due for renewal before travel. I realised that I now qualify for a disabled railcard so have bought one. Will this be allowed on the day if I show both cards? Is it possible to get the ticket endorsed in some way before travel or do I have to buy another senior card as well to keep the journeys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have two sets of Virgin advance tickets linked to a senior railcard which is due for renewal before travel. I realised that I now qualify for a disabled railcard so have bought one. Will this be allowed on the day if I show both cards? Is it possible to get the ticket endorsed in some way before travel or do I have to buy another senior card as well to keep the journeys?
There is no absolute entitlement to a change of Railcard type excess. In theory, the retailer from whom you bought your ticket could insist on the Advance terms, which are that Advances are non-refundable. In practice, some retailers, and in particular some ticket offices, will either excess the tickets to the different Railcard for you, or they will endorse the tickets as valid on the wrong Railcard.

It's also worth trying contacting the train company concerned if you're getting nowhere elsewhere. They may give you permission to use the ticket with the wrong Railcard.

DaveB10780

There is no absolute entitlement to a change of Railcard type excess. In theory, the retailer from whom you bought your ticket could insist on the Advance terms, which are that Advances are non-refundable. In practice, some retailers, and in particular some ticket offices, will either excess the tickets to the different Railcard for you, or they will endorse the tickets as valid on the wrong Railcard.

It's also worth trying contacting the train company concerned if you're getting nowhere elsewhere. They may give you permission to use the ticket with the wrong Railcard.
Thanks, I bought from Virgin online and the twitter response was ask the call centre and the call centre could not do anything except follow normal re-booking. Seems a bit sad but understandable. I will ask a ticket office when I am passing next and see what they say, excess to a different railcard would be the best solution if it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.