Advance Ticket Refunds (purchased via Crosscountry)

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Joey Beauchamp, 24 Mar 2020 at 16:34.

1. Joey Beauchamp

Joey Beauchamp Member

Hi Everyone,

Like many people I have bought advance tickets to travel to events which are no longer taking place, maybe 7 or 8 tickets in total. I bought them all via the Crosscountry website or app.

At the moment, for each individual ticket in your booking history, despite it showing a refund option, when you click on it, it says a refund isn't available for this ticket. Instead, you are supposed to email their customer support, which must be absolutely inundated with correspondence at the moment.

Does anyone have an inkling (or insider knowledge) of whether Crosscountry will update their website and app so that qualifying advance tickets can be refunded at the click of a button? My first ticket is dated 8th April, so I'm inclined to wait for the simpler option if it's likely to become available.

Thanks for your help.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

You’d be best tweeting them with the booking reference as long as you booked it on the CrossCountry website. They’ve been actioning the refunds all day on there.

4. D.K.TAYLOR

D.K.TAYLOR Member

I have similar bookings but with Avanti Transpennine and Chiltern as l have already collected the tickets sent all off Freepost.
    Lucky as a day later they scrapped the admin fee Avanti have amended there site yesterday so did online refunds then

5. jrh2254

jrh2254 Member

Just been onto the crosscountry site and its still not able to give refunds on advance tickets.
    Do we know when crosscountry will be able to allow this to be done online without having to call or email? Thanks.

6. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

They’re working on it, but it’s TBD as to when it will come to fruition.

7. jrh2254

jrh2254 Member

Thanks , in the meantime, I just now have to learn how to send a tweet with my booking reference!

8. D.K.TAYLOR

D.K.TAYLOR Member

Got my first refund today from Avanti via there website they told me to send the tickets back via recorded delivery to Edinburgh

9. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

I'm assuming Avanti can't refuse to handle refund requests that don't arrive by recorded delivery. Why should we have to go to a post office - it's risky enough going out to a postbox just now?

10. CrispyUK

CrispyUK Member

No, but they could throw all the regular stamped mail they receive into the shredder and claim they never received the tickets (I’m not suggesting they would do this, and they could of course genuinely go missing in the post).

Recorded delivery at least provides a record of the item being delivered (normally with a recipient signature, but not at the moment). It doesn’t however increase the compensation level above the standard £20 available with regular 1st/2nd Class.

If the tickets were worth more than this, you’d need to use Special Delivery to be safe, but that’s considerably more expensive, so depends on your appetite for risk :)

11. D.K.TAYLOR

D.K.TAYLOR Member

The next 2 refunds l had about 20 hours later was to cut up and e-mail a photo of them cut whitch included the ones l sent of ??? they then emailed me to give me the refund for the tickets l had sent to Edinburgh bit confused but now done 6 more to go