• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket release - any alternative to TOC alerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMR offers an Alert to tell you when Advance tickets are going on sale for a particular route and date.

But it doesn't work reliably.

Trying to register for an alert for Matlock-St Pancras on Sun 5 Jan, it tells me "Good news. Your tickets may already be on sale, search for tickets" - but there aren't any Advances available. All gone already?

No - EMR Customer Services tell me that this is a glitch - the tickets are not on sale yet (because the timetable for that date has not yet been confirmed with Network Rail) but that because their alerts system thinks that they are already on sale, registering for an alert is pointless as it will not trigger an email.

Any clever ideas of how, short of daily attempts to book tickets, I can spot when the tickets go on sale?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
I believe that Thetrainline also has an alerts system. I can't vouch for its reliability, though. You could try registering for that one but use EMR's website to book your ticket (I think Thetrainline charges a booking fee).

Unfortunately, apart from that I'm fairly sure that you have no choice but to try again every day, but they do now appear to have gone on sale.

For future reference this article may be of interest: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/

BlueFox

Last week I used the Trainline one to get alerts for Sheffield to Leicester, travelling on a Saturday in January. I got an email a couple of days later telling me tickets were available.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
EMR offers an Alert to tell you when Advance tickets are going on sale for a particular route and date.

But it doesn't work reliably.

Trying to register for an alert for Matlock-St Pancras on Sun 5 Jan, it tells me "Good news. Your tickets may already be on sale, search for tickets" - but there aren't any Advances available. All gone already?

Advance tickets for your journey, Matlock to St Pancras, are available now.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I believe that Thetrainline also has an alerts system. I can't vouch for its reliability, though. You could try registering for that one but use EMR's website to book your ticket (I think Thetrainline charges a booking fee).

Unfortunately, apart from that I'm fairly sure that you have no choice but to try again every day, but they do now appear to have gone on sale.

For future reference this article may be of interest: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/
Seeing as EMR is a Trainline whitelabel it would more than likely have the same glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.