• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket with no reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belly Buster

I have an advance ticket Rugby to Penrith with a change a Birmingham New Street.

The leg from BHM has a seat reservation but not the leg from RUG-BHM (when I booked it, the timing was for a London Midland service).

Is it valid for me to take a preceeding Virgin service on the RUG-BHM leg and pick up my booked train at BHM?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You're of course permitted to use an earlier LM service which is non-reservable.

4SRKT

Established Member
No, it does not. Virgin services are all reservable.
London Midland services are reservable as well aren't they? I've got an advance from Leighton Buzzard to Stoke (£4.75 :)) that is valid form the 14:42 from Leighton Buzzard and 16:04 from Rugby. No seat reservations of course.

MCR247

Established Member
London Midland services are reservable as well aren't they? I've got an advance from Leighton Buzzard to Stoke (£4.75 :)) that is valid form the 14:42 from Leighton Buzzard and 16:04 from Rugby. No seat reservations of course.

Having advance tickets doesn't make them reservable does it? Surely the fact that you have no reservations would make it non-reservable...

4SRKT

Established Member
Having advance tickets doesn't make them reservable does it? Surely the fact that you have no reservations would make it non-reservable...
I have reservations for the two trains but not the seats. I can't use it on any other train for either leg. This sounds reservable to me.

calc7

Established Member
London Midland "Express" services are reservable, eg Birmingham to Liverpool, Crewe to Euston, Birmingham to Euston. Reservations should show as Coach: * Seat: ***

London Midland "City" services are not reservable, eg all the West Midlands stoppers, Bedford-Bletchley, Abbey Line.

4SRKT

Established Member
London Midland "Express" services are reservable, eg Birmingham to Liverpool, Crewe to Euston, Birmingham to Euston. Reservations should show as Coach: * Seat: ***

London Midland "City" services are not reservable, eg all the West Midlands stoppers, Bedford-Bletchley, Abbey Line.

So the answer to the OP's question is definitely 'no' then given that the Rugby > Brum LM working is reservable?

calc7

Established Member
So the answer to the OP's question is definitely 'no' then given that the Rugby > Brum LM working is reservable?

I tried not to mention that one as I don't know for certain :oops: There's a possibility that some trains on that route (Brum-Northampton locals) may not be reservable but the ones going to/from London should be.

Belly Buster

Maybe just one final detail I omitted was: not only is there not a seat reservation but there is not a "train" reservation either, i.e. there is no coupon saying Seat: ***". Hope that makes sense.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe just one final detail I omitted was: not only is there not a seat reservation but there is not a "train" reservation either, i.e. there is no coupon saying Seat: ***". Hope that makes sense.
You can get any reasonable connecting train in the timetable that does not have the reservation symbol, in order to connect with your reserved train.

Established Member
You can get any reasonable connecting train in the timetable that does not have the reservation symbol, in order to connect with your reserved train.
The entire LM advance scheme is a half-baked shambles. The trains are only reservable between certain points (generally only where there is competition...) so the train is probably "reservable" throughout in the GBTT but you can't actually get a res on it between Rugby and New St.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
TOCs that do train-specific rather than seat-specific reservations only issue reservation coupons between certain points and not for all journeys on a "reservable" train.

For example, a passenger on a Route AP SWT Only Advance would be reserved on a specific Weymouth-bound train if the journey is London - Poole, but not if the ticket is Route +AP EMT& Connect and the journey on the same Weymouth-bound service is only London - Basingstoke (on a Nottingham - Basingstoke journey for example).

4SRKT

Established Member
The entire LM advance scheme is a half-baked shambles. The trains are only reservable between certain points (generally only where there is competition...) so the train is probably "reservable" throughout in the GBTT but you can't actually get a res on it between Rugby and New St.

It might be a shambles, but it's bloody cheap! £4.75 Leighton Buzzard > Stoke is about as good as it gets IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.