• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets and compulsory reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1314

Hi all.

I often travel between LEI and STP and, now I'm a student again, enjoy the bargain 'Advance' fares when I can. As we all know, each ticket is valid only on specific services (or in this instance, a particular train) and when booking, a reservation is issued.

Is it the case that I MUST sit in this reserved seat?

I'm fairly sure it was the case until fairly recently but not sure if it still is.

Please advise!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, it is, but very rarely enforced as long as you are on the correct train.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I had a reserved seat on a train last Thursday, seat 21, coach F.
Trouble was there were only 4 coaches, and 6 is VERY rare!!

Wild Swan

Officially yes, but the rule is almost never enforced

Can someone point to where this is laid down, please? My understanding is that Advance ticket holders must travel on the designated train, but are not compelled to use their reserved seat. When travelling on East Coast with an Advance ticket, I very rarely travel in my reserved seat and have never ever been challenged. Any unclaimed reserved seat is, of course, up for grabs by other passengers.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can someone point to where this is laid down, please?

The 'Advance fare' T&C on the National Rail website requires you to use the reserved seat:

When and where the ticket can be used
Tickets are valid ONLY on the date and train service(s) shown on the ticket(s).
Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s).
Tickets may only be used on the services of the Train Company (or geographic route where applicable) shown next to ‘Route’ on the ticket.
etc etc...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46546.aspx

I can make no comment on who does or doesn't enforce it, but it's there in fairly plain language.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
I had a reserved seat on a train last Thursday, seat 21, coach F.
Trouble was there were only 4 coaches, and 6 is VERY rare!!

If it's an ATW service, which I imagine it was, that would be correct.

ATW 4 car services have coaches labelled A-C-D-F, 6 car services are officially A-C-D-F-G-J

Llanigraham

On Moderation
If it's an ATW service, which I imagine it was, that would be correct.

ATW 4 car services have coaches labelled A-C-D-F, 6 car services are officially A-C-D-F-G-J

Well I never!!
How silly!!
A bobby learns something new about trains.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
TPE do similar with their 170s, Crosscountry the same with their 170s and Voyagers, and lets not forget that some Pendolinos have a coach U (between F and G), but only 11 coaches (nine coach Pendolinos don't have coach F either).

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
There's also the question of etiquette and common sense, where it might turn out the seat you've reserved isn't suitable for you.

You might find yourself next to a family with screaming kids or a gang of drunken football supporters, or you might just prefer a different seat.

As an example I was on a packed East Coast train on sunday evening and just settling into my reserved seat when the person who'd reserved the seat next to me asked if I minded swapping seats with his travelling companion so that they could sit together (she also had a reserved seat but it was some distance away). I was happy to do that but I did wonder if some jobsworth train manager might insist we all sat in our reserved seats!

Last edited:

ASharpe

On the 1952 Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange on a Friday evening the guard will usually make a couple of announcements asking people to sit in their reserved seats.

It usually only has a handful of unreserved seats so it makes it much easier for passengers without reservations to get one.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I thought for a moment that you'd bumped into me:
. . . I was on a packed East Coast train on sunday evening and just settling into my reserved seat when the person who'd reserved the seat next to me asked if I minded swapping seats with his travelling companion so that they could sit together (she also had a reserved seat but it was some distance away). I was happy to do that but I did wonder if some jobsworth train manager might insist we all sat in our reserved seats!
I did exactly this a few days ago, and the 'other passenger' was happy to swap (but then I realised that you'd said Sunday).

But as for a 'jobsworth train manager', the guard and one of the catering crew both came and sat down for a good long chat with us, having lost their break on a quick turnaround at Kings Cross.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On the 1952 Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange on a Friday evening the guard will usually make a couple of announcements asking people to sit in their reserved seats.

It usually only has a handful of unreserved seats so it makes it much easier for passengers without reservations to get one.

Yes, I can see that.

It's more when all the reservations are crammed into one carriage, and there's an empty one next door that I tend to spread out.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Because the station marked on the seat back ticket (or electronic display) has been passed and no one is sitting there...

Unless you are on a 390 where it just says "reserved" (or "available until X"). Paper reservations and electronic displays on XCs are better in that aspect as it tells you when it is reserved from (and to) to allow a better guess.

Agreed with reservations being pushed into one carriage, I did the Chieftain back in May, Coach C & D were rather busy, walking back to find Coach E pretty much empty.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
It can sometimes be helpful on busier trains to remove the label from your reserved seat to make it clear that it's available; but this isn't an option on the majority of trains between Leicester and London as they usually have electronic reservation displays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I am aware thankyou. However this thread isn't about other ticket types.
Okay, how about the advance holder hasn't even got on the train at all? ;)

There's loads of reasons why seats can appear reserved when there's nobody actually using them, and unless the guard goes through after each station removing reservations where nobody's in the seat, you'll still have the problem of people not wanting to sit in them in case they just get turfed out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.