• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets, but using trains for cross-London instead of the underground; and E-tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulb

Good morning all,

My friend's son is autistic (and has a Disabled Persons Railcard) and plans to travel between Cambridge and Portsmouth Harbour on 16th September, at around midday, and returning on 21st at around 1300. He is unable to cope with the underground, so I've suggested he travels via London Bridge, Waterloo East and Waterloo. TrainSplit is coming up with Advance Singles of £13.30 each way, via Kings Cross and Waterloo, but suggests the transfer via the Underground. When I specifically request changes at St Pancras, London Bridge and Waterloo East, the £13.30 advance singles are unavailable.

As far as I understand, he could purchase the £13.30 advance tickets via Kings Cross and Waterloo (it's routed SWT and connections), and still travel via "Great Northern" into Kings Cross, any Thameslink train to London Bridge, and by any train between London Bridge and Waterloo East, as he will still be fulfilling the conditions by travelling on the booked trains as specified. Is there any reason why this might not be so?

He's prone to losing physical tickets, so his mother wishes to purchase the tickets on his behalf, and email them to him as E-tickets. I have no experience of E-tickets, and Trainsplit indicates that tickets purchased through them are TOD only. Does Trainsplit have the facility to issue E-tickets? The £13.30 advances are not split tickets, so they could be bought on another site.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Trainsplit does issue E-tickets if it can. However any ticket valid for a cross London transfer (i.e. with the + route) will not issue as an e-ticket as they cannot be used in Tube gates, regardless of if you are actually using it in that way or not. So unfortunately you won't be able to get an e-ticket for this journey.

lightbulb

There shouldn't be an eticket available for that journey, Stevenage may be a better location to change for the London Bridge train
Thanks: I've put that in as a via point, but if London Bridge is selected as the second via point, it won't give the £13.30 advances.

sonic2009

Established Member
I've even played around with the via points putting in travelling via Finsbury Park, Highbury and Islington and Clapham Junction - to which it does give a journey but doesn't offer E-tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've even played around with the via points putting in travelling via Finsbury Park, Highbury and Islington and Clapham Junction - to which it does give a journey but doesn't offer E-tickets.

You won't get e-tickets issued for that journey. All of them have the Maltese Cross for LU validity:

sonic2009

Established Member
I know this would cost more, but what about travelling via East Croydon/Gatwick Airport?

16th September Cambridge dep 1224 - East Croydon arr 1358 dep 1423 - Portsmouth and Southsea arr 1602 (if need to go to PMH then just get a single from PMS to PMH

21st September Portsmouth Southsea dep 1315 - East Croydon arr 1456 dep 1501 arr Cambridge 1640

Trainline will offer me E-Tickets/Mobile for the following tickets if booked seperately. But Trainsplit didnt offer E-Tickets

PriceDescription
Cambridge to East or West Croydon
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
(Disabled Persons Railcard)
£29.10
  • Travel is allowed via any permitted route.
  • Restriction 5J applies - click for details
  • This fare includes a journey across London by tube, DLR or train
East or West Croydon to Portsmouth & Southsea
Advance Single (SAV)
£3.30
Portsmouth & Southsea to East or West Croydon
Advance Single (SAV)
£3.30

I was just confirming that that journey will not ever be issued as an e-ticket so there's no point messing with journeys to try and get one.
Not a problem, but I wasn't to know that before I tried to get this to work :)

sonic2009

Established Member
Offers E-Ticket, but only seems to offer times that travel on Thameslink with changes.

Thameslink website & Avanti App will offer E-Tickets also.

So I suspect this isn't a bug, but without trying to purchase the ticket couldn't comment to see if you actually recieve an E-Ticket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-110855_Trainline.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-110855_Trainline.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Done, but it comes up with "No itineraries found for search".
In Trainsplit I put in City Thameslink as a via point and untick Tube as a transit method and itineraries are produced for the journey you want. However, none of these will offer an eTicket.

philthetube

Established Member
To solve the Eticket side of it have you considered attaching a wallet to string and fastening it to his clothing by a pocket,

colinz

For the return journey, I managed to get an iternary not using the tube priced at £13.30 by specifying avoid Barnham and unticking the Tube option, then choose either "value" or "cheap" in the next page. Weirdly the outbound journey cannot be found this way.

As others have mentioned, this does not offer e-ticket as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.