• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets from Doncaster to York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malton Seadog

Hi all,

Does anyone know if advance tickets (1st class preferable) are available from Doncaster to York?

Tried looking on East Coast but no luck.

Dates are Sat 25 June before 10am and returning Sunday 26 June after 1pm.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
£19.70 return Standard Class, or £39.40 return First Class.
Both are walk-on fares. No Advance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fairly typical ECML pricing I'm afraid.

King's Cross to Hitchin is about a mile less and would cost £26.00 standard class to return a different day, or £43.20 first class.

Zoe

Established Member
King's Cross to Hitchin is about a mile less and would cost £26.00 standard class to return a different day, or £43.20 first class.
Out of interest, are the Off Peak Day returns in the former Network SouthEast area protected? If not then there could be a case for scrapping them on some of the longer distance routes and replacing them with advance fares.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Out of interest, are the Off Peak Day returns in the former Network SouthEast area protected? If not then there could be a case for scrapping them on some of the longer distance routes and replacing them with advance fares.
No they aren't, and I don't think Advance fares work well for suburban operations but that's well beyond the scope of this topic.

Squaddie

£19.70 return Standard Class, or £39.40 return First Class.
Both are walk-on fares. No Advance.
That's outrageous. An off-peak return from Swansea to Cardiff, which is roughly the same distance, is only about £12 in Standard and £22 in First. The UK's rail system is a mess.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you had the infamous fares war between ATW and FGW in 2007 on that route.

Fares are at acceptable levels in some, selected areas of the country, and for certain routes elsewhere, but for most they are a disgrace. I have to carefully research each journey to avoid being ripped off. However I am increasingly reluctant to advertise good value fares in any place that is publicly viewable due to ATOC/TOC spies, often choosing to only let people I have met, know the best deals I find!

Squaddie

Fares are at acceptable levels in some, selected areas of the country, and for certain routes elsewhere, but for most they are a disgrace. I have to carefully research each journey to avoid being ripped off. However I am increasingly reluctant to advertise good value fares in any place that is publicly viewable due to ATOC/TOC spies, often choosing to only let people I have met, know the best deals I find!
A first class Anytime return ticket from London to Manchester costs £399.

A friend and I have just paid £371 each for a 15-day first class Swiss railways pass.

Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.