• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets Glasgow- Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given that with rare exceptions it's impossible to get a Pendolino throughout, the ticket booking sites seem to be splitting the journey at Carlisle - ie throwing you off the Pendolino there and condemning you to a Voyager southwards. (You can see my prejudices - both in terms of comfort and the obscenity of travelling all that way as diesel power under perfectly good wires!)

In reality of course you could defer the transfer Pendolino - Voyager as late as Warrington BQ. But will on-board ticket inspection have kittens at you over-riding your first ticket from Carlisle that far south? I realise a reserved seat on the second train may long have disappeared but there you go.

I suspect problems may cut in after Preston because of crew changes there - the Scottish ticket check will have been long before Carlisle.

Rgds

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Example based on 1st October 2009- around 4 weeks time:

Instead of

12:40 Glasgow Central to Crewe arriving 15:59 change at Carlisle- £30.50 std

12:40 Glasgow Central to Warrington Bk Quay arrive 15:20- £17 AP std single
15:39 Warrington Bk Quay to Crewe arrive 15:59- £9.30 Anytime Day Single

Total- £26.30 changing at Warrington, vice £30.30 changing at Carlisle. ;)

Note that occasionaly, it may be cheaper to split the tickets at Preston, due to the way the advance purchase quotas work, particularly when booking sooner than the 4-weeks i used.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On thetrainline sites, if I specify GLC-CRE arriving before 1800, it says to change at Carlisle on the 1240 out of GLC.

But if I specify departing after 1200, then it says to change at Preston, on the same trains departing GLC at 1240.

TEW

Established Member
If the voyager stops at stops between Carlisle and Warrington just put it in the booking system to avoid those and you will be able to change at a later point.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the voyager stops at stops between Carlisle and Warrington just put it in the booking system to avoid those and you will be able to change at a later point.
What's your source for this? It won't work because all potential calling points on the WCML between Glasgow and Crewe are timing points.

Railjet

On the Virgin booking engine, the 08:40, 10:40, 12:40 and 14:40 departures from Glasgow all show a change at Preston for Crewe.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On the Virgin booking engine, the 08:40, 10:40, 12:40 and 14:40 departures from Glasgow all show a change at Preston for Crewe.

Yes, if you specify "departing after ...", then it says to change at Preston.

If you specify "arrive before..." then it says to change at Carlisle (or Lancaster in the case of the 14:40).

TEW

Established Member
What's your source for this? It won't work because all potential calling points on the WCML between Glasgow and Crewe are timing points.
Why the need to be so aggressive, do you treat everyone like this, just because you are the 'ticket expert'?

Well try and it and you will see. Doesn't seem to matter that they are timing points, I have used it many a time and if the train doesn't stop at a station it it will class it as avoiding that station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

In your own words, what's your source? Try a journey planner search for Glasgow-Crewe leaving at 1240, it will advise you to change at Carlisle, put in Via Oxenholme Lake District and it suggests changing at Lancaster, it isn't Warrington as the OP wanted but its the best you can get using that trick with the stopping patterns.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why the need to be so aggressive, do you treat everyone like this, just because you are the 'ticket expert'?
How is asking "What's your source for this?" in any way aggressive?!

Well try and it and you will see. Doesn't seem to matter that they are timing points, I have used it many a time and if the train doesn't stop at a station it it will class it as avoiding that station.
I have tried it.

In your own words, what's your source? Try a journey planner search for Glasgow-Crewe leaving at 1240, it will advise you to change at Carlisle, put in Via Oxenholme Lake District and it suggests changing at Lancaster, it isn't Warrington as the OP wanted but its the best you can get using that trick with the stopping patterns.
If I say leaving after 1230, it tells me to change at Preston.

As for my source, I'll gladly answer that question (which I don't see as aggressive at all), see attached image from thetrainline.

Thetrainline knows all the passing points, and if a train goes via a passing point, it knows about it. The train does not have to call.

You can try this by, for example, entering KGX to YRK via CHF leaving after 20:00. It will show the 20:03 and 20:33 changing at Leeds and the 22:00 which is direct, via Church Fenton. It will not show the 20:00 or 21:00.

Attachments

• glc-cre.JPG
    glc-cre.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 17

glynn80

Established Member
If I say leaving after 1230, it tells me to change at Preston.

ncs8c5c1h's method does work on the NXEC Booking Engine when searching for GLC to CRE on the 1240 service. Specifying no via point results in a change being made at Carlisle, specifying OXN as a via point results in a change being made at Lancaster.

Evidently theTrainline and the NXEC Booking Engine use differing methods when determining whether a trains travels via a particular point.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ncs8c5c1h's method does work on the NXEC Booking Engine when searching for GLC to CRE on the 1240 service. Specifying no via point results in a change being made at Carlisle, specifying OXN as a via point results in a change being made at Lancaster.

Evidently theTrainline and the NXEC Booking Engine use differing methods when determining whether a trains travels via a particular point.
That's interesting, thanks. I had already established the behaviour of thetrainline, and I was confused when ncs8c5c1h said the behaviour of the booking system was different to that, but now I realise that they were comparing it to the Atos Origin system.

Railjet

Yes, if you specify "departing after ...", then it says to change at Preston.

If you specify "arrive before..." then it says to change at Carlisle (or Lancaster in the case of the 14:40).

I just used the default, "leave after", which - I guess - many people do.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Editing posts is a dirty trick, just accept you needed to calm down.
I've not edited any posts in this topic. You quoted what I said and that quote remains intact also. I posted nothing aggressive.

I asked you for your source, you didn't answer but someone else did. Now that the source has been revealed as the Atos Origin rather than Thetrainline, the topic now makes sense and is useful. If you can say which booking engine you are refering to in future it would be a great help and that would be greatly appreciated.

TEW

Established Member
Well seeing as I assumed the trainline behaved in the same way. Why so many rules on here? Better write a new one, when quoting fare information you must specify your source.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
it's not a rule. your post didn't make sense until it was revealed you were talking about a different booking engine. it makes sense now.

TEW

Established Member
I didn't say it was rule, sounds like you'd happily make it one though. Post made perfect sense to me, a lot easier to read than most people's on here.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
how does 'the booking engine' make sense when referring to a different booking engine to the one being discussed originally ? ;)

TEW

Established Member
Um, did anyone actually post which booking system was being used originally and how was I to know that they do different things, I am not sad enough to study them. The original post just refers to the booking system. Oh noes! They should have specified which one and of course for clarity included screenshots.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Um, did anyone actually post which booking system was being used originally
The OP didn't specify, but I looked at the issue and quoted what thetrainline does, you then replied stating 'the booking system' so I asked for the source as I already stated Thetrainline doesn't work in the way you described. I'm not sure why you were then reluctant to post the source as being Atos Origin's booking engine.
and how was I to know that they do different things,
Isn't that the purpose of this thread?
I am not sad enough to study them.
Then why even post on this subject if you think it's "sad"?
The original post just refers to the booking system. Oh noes! They should have specified which one and of course for clarity included screenshots.
Yes if you had done that it would have been most helpful and avoided any doubt, as your post followed a post about the behaviour of Thetrainline, you said you observed different behaviour on 'the booking engine' so it looked as though you were also talking about Thetrainline.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
ncs8c5c1h, I don't see what Yorkie has done wrong, as all he has done is helpfully suplement the information which myself and a few other members have posted in order to help the OP?

TEW

Established Member
The OP didn't specify, but I looked at the issue and quoted what thetrainline does, you then replied stating 'the booking system' so I asked for the source as I already stated Thetrainline doesn't work in the way you described. I'm not sure why you were then reluctant to post the source as being Atos Origin's booking engine.

Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

Then why even post on this subject if you think it's "sad"?

Yes if you had done that it would have been most helpful and avoided any doubt, as your post followed a post about the behaviour of Thetrainline, you said you observed different behaviour on 'the booking engine' so it looked as though you were also talking about Thetrainline.
What makes you think I was reluctant to post the source as Atos Origin, I said it straight away. How was I to know that the trainline was different? No one had said anything to the contrary until after my post. I thought the purpose of this thread was just to help someone, that's all I did. But I didn't know they acted any differently?

tony_mac

Established Member
ncs8c5c1h, I don't see what Yorkie has done wrong, as all he has done is helpfully suplement the information which myself and a few other members have posted in order to help the OP?

Personally, I think that 'What's your source for this? It won't work....' could perhaps be considered a little blunt, maybe even heading down the tracks towards impolite, but certainly stopping a long way short of agressive. Sometimes people just don't have the time, the inclination, or maybe even the ability to put things in a nice, pleasant, chatty manner.

What makes you think I was reluctant to post the source as Atos Origin, I said it straight away.
You didn't, though. I don't think he means that you were trying to hide it, just that because you didn't actually give a straight answer it took some time to work out that vital piece of information!
The original post just refers to the booking system. Oh noes! They should have specified which one and of course for clarity included screenshots.
It did actually cause some amount of confusion, so yes, it would actually have been helpful if it had been specified!

Status
Not open for further replies.