Advance Tickets Ilkley - Manchester

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Simon C, 13 Jul 2019 at 22:03.

1. Simon C

Simon C New Member

When I try and book tickets between Ilkley and Manchester, I am unable to book Advance tickets. It is possible to book an open ticket from Ilkley to Leeds / Bradford and then book an advance ticket for the next train to Manchester, however I can't book an Advance ticket when I search from Ilkley to Manchester. The problem with this is if I book an open ticket to Leeds, then an advance ticket to Manchester, if my first train is late and I miss my connection I am not covered. Any advice?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

When are you travelling?

And yes you are covered; there are sites that will sell this combination for you, as one journey if it's cheaper to do so!

That's one journey search, one ticket collection code, one itinerary, one payment.

4. Simon C

Simon C New Member

As an example, if you check the 24th July, with a 26-30 railcard, the cheapest ticket it comes up with is an Anytime return of £24.55 or an Anytime day single for £17.70. It does not offer an advance fare.

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There are no through Advance fares.

A search for a midday departure shows fares of £11.40 (non-flexible) or £12.17 (flexible) on Trainsplit.com for example; that's on TPE trains in "Popular" mode.

Put it into "Value" mode and you will get cheap Northern options that are slower (potentially from £5.65, but around £7-8 is more common).

You are absolutely entitled to use two or more tickets for one journey. The vast majority of staff are aware of this. If you are worried, you could print the itinerary (or show it on your phone) as displayed in the booking confirmation email, as evidence of the contract for a journey from Ilkley to Manchester.

Attached Files:

6. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

No, there's few (or no) advances on TPE which include a connection on Northern. I regularly travel from Keighley to Manchester or York by train - I almost always buy a single or return to Leeds and then an advance. I can usually get First class Advance tickets for less than the price of an open return. I've never had a problem getting a later TPE train when the Northern one is delayed (though it's been far more common the other way round and the Northern ticket isn't restricted anyway.