• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Tickets Ilkley - Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon C

When I try and book tickets between Ilkley and Manchester, I am unable to book Advance tickets. It is possible to book an open ticket from Ilkley to Leeds / Bradford and then book an advance ticket for the next train to Manchester, however I can't book an Advance ticket when I search from Ilkley to Manchester. The problem with this is if I book an open ticket to Leeds, then an advance ticket to Manchester, if my first train is late and I miss my connection I am not covered. Any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When are you travelling?

And yes you are covered; there are sites that will sell this combination for you, as one journey if it's cheaper to do so!

That's one journey search, one ticket collection code, one itinerary, one payment.

Simon C

As an example, if you check the 24th July, with a 26-30 railcard, the cheapest ticket it comes up with is an Anytime return of £24.55 or an Anytime day single for £17.70. It does not offer an advance fare.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are no through Advance fares.

A search for a midday departure shows fares of £11.40 (non-flexible) or £12.17 (flexible) on Trainsplit.com for example; that's on TPE trains in "Popular" mode.

Put it into "Value" mode and you will get cheap Northern options that are slower (potentially from £5.65, but around £7-8 is more common).

You are absolutely entitled to use two or more tickets for one journey. The vast majority of staff are aware of this. If you are worried, you could print the itinerary (or show it on your phone) as displayed in the booking confirmation email, as evidence of the contract for a journey from Ilkley to Manchester.

Attachments

• ilkley-manchester.jpg
    ilkley-manchester.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 19

Deerfold

Veteran Member
When I try and book tickets between Ilkley and Manchester, I am unable to book Advance tickets. It is possible to book an open ticket from Ilkley to Leeds / Bradford and then book an advance ticket for the next train to Manchester, however I can't book an Advance ticket when I search from Ilkley to Manchester. The problem with this is if I book an open ticket to Leeds, then an advance ticket to Manchester, if my first train is late and I miss my connection I am not covered. Any advice?

No, there's few (or no) advances on TPE which include a connection on Northern. I regularly travel from Keighley to Manchester or York by train - I almost always buy a single or return to Leeds and then an advance. I can usually get First class Advance tickets for less than the price of an open return. I've never had a problem getting a later TPE train when the Northern one is delayed (though it's been far more common the other way round and the Northern ticket isn't restricted anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.