• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

advance tickets in cases of disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkC

I'll just say now -- I've looked and can't see a clear answer to this. I'm sure someone will find an earlier thread now that answers this but I've tried for quite a while and can't! My question is pretty time sensitive so apologies in advance...

I've got an advance ticket on the 18.00 from King's Cross to York. There's disruption on the ECML today and I asked the Customer Service people at York this morning if tickets would be accepted on different trains. The bloke in the booth didn't seem entirely confident, but said "they'll accept them on any train". Including Grand Central? "Yes."

I've tweeted at eastcoastuk to double check this, and they've said that it's not possible to do so and that I can only take the next service if there is disruption. Is this true? If these are the T&Cs, fair play, but they might want to tell their staff at York to give out correct advice and ask NRE to be clearer when they say:

"Passengers may use the following

Any East Coast, Great Northern or First Hull Trains service on any reasonable route"

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

I'm really not trying to pull a fast one here and travel on a different train just because I fancy it: I'm trying to make sure that I get home by 8. I know Advance tickets are inflexible and I knew this when I bought the ticket, but I'm being told different (if less than clear) things from two sources. As things stand, I'm taking my chances on the 18:00 not being cancelled and I'd really really like to be home by 8...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've tweeted at eastcoastuk to double check this, and they've said that it's not possible to do so and that I can only take the next service if there is disruption.
EC themselves say: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-information/travel-alerts/
Alternative travel arrangements
Passengers may use the following

• Any East Coast, Great Northern or First Hull Trains service on any reasonable route
  • Abellio Greater Anglia services on any reasonable route
  • London Underground Northern Line services between High Barnet and central London
  • London Underground Piccadilly Line services between Cockfosters and central London.
So best not to risk GC, but you can get any East Coast service.

The Twitter people are wrong.

It's poor customer service as well as increasing the Companies' liabilities, because if people are told they can't get earlier trains, that increases the risk of people arriving at their destinations over 30 mins late, thus causing more people to be eligible for Delay Repay.

YorkC

EC themselves say: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-information/travel-alerts/
So best not to risk GC, but you can get any East Coast service.

The Twitter people are wrong.

It's poor customer service as well as increasing the Companies' liabilities, because if people are told they can't get earlier trains, that increases the risk of people arriving at their destinations over 30 mins late, thus causing more people to be eligible for Delay Repay.

I just ran down to King's Cross, explained the situation and was denied platform access at the barriers. I quoted the website and was told "I know, but you can't". Pretty annoying. I tried to argue but obviously wasn't getting anywhere so just gave up.

Thanks for trying to help anyway!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Make sure you get the name of the person who said that, and write a polite, yet assertive, letter to East Coast, and make sure you claim Delay Repay if you're 30+ minutes late, making it clear to EC that you were prepared to get an earlier train - as stated as valid on the website - to avoid them having to pay Delay Repay.

If they do not give you a decent response, report the matter to Passenger Focus.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Didn't your ticket simply work the barriers? Or have they been set to reject 'Advance' tickets?

YorkC

Unless my eyes deceive me, the barriers are open!

They weren't at about 4.55 when I tried to get through - or at least I didn't notice they were open! The gates were staffed anyway.
Make sure you get the name of the person who said that, and write a polite, yet assertive, letter to East Coast, and make sure you claim Delay Repay if you're 30+ minutes late, making it clear to EC that you were prepared to get an earlier train - as stated as valid on the website - to avoid them having to pay Delay Repay.

If they do not give you a decent response, report the matter to Passenger Focus.
Didn't your ticket simply work the barriers? Or have they been set to reject 'Advance' tickets?

I don't know - I didn't try.

Thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.