• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets not available in early 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadgit

Hi all,

A quick question with probably an obvious answer - I'm looking into buying Advance tickets from Norwich to London in January, however it looks like Greater Anglia aren't releasing these on time - usually the reservations open for 12 weeks ahead however if I look ahead the first date Advance tickets are open on is the 11th January, which is well before 12 weeks from now (75 days). Is there a reason for this? There isn't any scheduled engineering work as far as I'm aware, is it just a quirk of the Advance system?

I'll need to book tickets for the 25th and 28th of January (this being a return journey) and the 1st February (one way), when do you reckon the Advance ticket reservations will open for these dates?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi all,

A quick question with probably an obvious answer - I'm looking into buying Advance tickets from Norwich to London in January, however it looks like Greater Anglia aren't releasing these on time - usually the reservations open for 12 weeks ahead however if I look ahead the first date Advance tickets are open on is the 11th January, which is well before 12 weeks from now (75 days). Is there a reason for this? There isn't any scheduled engineering work as far as I'm aware, is it just a quirk of the Advance system?

I'll need to book tickets for the 25th and 28th of January (this being a return journey) and the 1st February (one way), when do you reckon the Advance ticket reservations will open for these dates?
Network Rail are currently unable to confirm timetables 12 weeks in advance, as is the normal procedure. Their planning team is unable to cope after various setbacks in planned infrastructure changes (e.g. electrification) and so all sorts of stuff is out of whack.

Advances will go on sale after the timetable is confirmed. You can see the current state of timetable confirmations (which varies by route/operator) here. You can go here to sign up for alerts whenever more of the timetable is updated/confirmed, but perhaps more useful would be signing up for alerts here to be told when Advances actually start being sold (in most cases, timetable confirmation and sale of Advances happens at almost the same time, but sometimes one happens before the other).

Obviously you'll not want to be booking through The TrainLine (I'm only linking to them as I haven't found a better alternative that covers all train companies). If you book through the relevant train company you'll avoid the booking fees charged by TrainLine, and if you book through a website like www.trainsplit.com you may even find that it is possible to obtain a combination of tickets that is cheaper than one through ticket.

sadgit

Thanks for that - stupid I know but I will actually be booking through Trainline because (and I'm aware this is a frippery) they seem to be the only place that issues e-tickets that can be stored in Apple Wallet rather than just in an email or an app, and I find it's worth paying the relatively small fee for that bit of convenience...

That does make sense though, I'm booking Greater Anglia tickets and from the link you've provided those shouldn't be affected as of yet so will go on sale on the normal timescale... maybe? Unless I'm reading this wrong...

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for that - stupid I know but I will actually be booking through Trainline because (and I'm aware this is a frippery) they seem to be the only place that issues e-tickets that can be stored in Apple Wallet rather than just in an email or an app, and I find it's worth paying the relatively small fee for that bit of convenience...

That does make sense though, I'm booking Greater Anglia tickets and from the link you've provided those shouldn't be affected as of yet so will go on sale on the normal timescale... maybe? Unless I'm reading this wrong...
It's hard to say exactly what is and isn't affected. The easiest thing to do is probably just to sign up for alerts.

Whilst I can understand the convenience factor of having tickets in Apple Wallet, I for one am no fan of e-tickets generally. When was the last time a paper ticket froze up or ran out of battery? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.