• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets showing online but VTEC Customer Services saying not available yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I am thinking of deferring my booked trip to Largs next week, in view of the weather situation, so I went online (VTEC) this morning to see how far ahead replacement tickets are available. I found 3rd-5th April with suitable Advance fares loaded, but when I went into "My Bookings" to make the amendment I don't get the "Amend Journey" option against that particular booking, even though other tickets booked on the same day and for travel on the same dates are offering this.

So I phoned VTEC's customer services, only to be told that (a) I can't amend that booking online, as part of the journey is with Scotrail (I don't know whether this is the real reason), but (b) he could do it for me manually, but not for those dates, i.e. out on 3rd April, return on 5th April, because "tickets for those dates haven't been released yet".

But I could make a brand new booking right now for Advance tickets on those April dates, on the VTEC website, if I wanted to. I don't want to, as by doing it as an Amendment it will only cost me £20. I only have until Sunday to cancel my hotel without penalty, so this is getting rather urgent! Original booking is for 17-19 Jan, Crewe to Largs, 1st Class both ways with railcard.

Just puzzled as to why VTEC's office don't seem to recognise Advance tickets that are already online for anyone to purchase.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
VTEC Advances are currently available for journeys up to and including Sunday 26 March. In addition, they are also available for certain VTEC-only journeys for dates up to Friday 23 June.

For your journey, I cannot get Advances for 3/5 April from the VTEC front-page. But once I have got into the mixing deck for pre-27 March dates, I have been able to amend the dates to 3 & 5 April for Crewe-Largs-Crewe.

So you might want to try going back into your VTEC account and initially opting for new dates in March say, and then use the Amend function in the mixing deck to try to get 3 & 5 April.

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks but that's not really the problem. I can find Advances for 3rd & 5th April on the main mixing deck, but because the My Bookings page won't let me amend my existing tickets for some reason (the only drop-down 'option' is "view full details" for that particular booking), I am reliant on someone at Eastcoast customer services doing the amendment for me, and they are saying those April tickets aren't released yet, even though they are in evidence when I look myself.

I know my journey is on VTWC, but I would have thought there would be some consistency with regard to tickets available.

I'll wait and see whether a new week is released tomorrow, in which case I might make another phone call and hope it is more fruitful. Otherwise, can anyone lend me some skis for next week? :lol:

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
That's clearly a different problem. As regards the next release, that would normally be at around 10am on Friday, but the chances are it will only go up to 3rd April.

Edit: a further thought - are you sure that the original tickets weren't a special offer? I have just tested my VTEC account, and for non-changeable tickets bought in a VTEC sale I only get a "Show details" option whereas for all my other bookings I also get an Amend Journey option.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
That's clearly a different problem. As regards the next release, that would normally be at around 10am on Friday, but the chances are it will only go up to 3rd April.

Doh, I meant Friday. I keep thinking today is Thursday :roll: .

Oh well, it's not the end of the world, and I might see some real snow if I do go next week :D .

Wallsendmag

Established Member
You bought extended horizon VTWC tickets on the VTEC site? Mmmmm. The landing page seems to be out of sync with the booking engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I've found what the problem is VTEC's site is rolled forward a week at a time on a Friday, WC release their reservations a day at a time. You should be able to change these later on today

trainophile

Established Member
I've found what the problem is VTEC's site is rolled forward a week at a time on a Friday, WC release their reservations a day at a time. You should be able to change these later on today

Thank you. I'm completely undecided now, and all packed to go next week as planned. Besides, I don't like to cancel the accommodation so close to the date, as they might not be able to re-let it.

Think I'll chance the weather situation, and if I enjoy my trip (which I'm sure I will provided I can get there :D ), I'll go again later in the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.