• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance tickets to London International

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi All,
Earlier today I went to Manchester Piccadilly to buy an advance ticket to London International for the 27th of June, with my 16-25 Railcard.
However, I was told that I cannot buy a cheaper advance ticket to London International; I could either buy a flexible single for around £25 to London International OR a cheap advance (around £8 in this case) to London Euston, but without the CIV protection.

Am I correct in thinking this is wrong?
If so, how am I best buying an advance ticket to London International?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I believe they are incorrect. There are definitely Advance fares to London Intl(CIV) however you might be requested to show your booking with Eurostar when purchasing said ticket at a ticket office.

I am not aware of TOC-websites or RSH selling tickets online to London Intl(CIV). It might be worth giving Eurostar a ring. They can issue tickets to LNDON ESTAR CIV, which can be a much better deal at times.

Cheers. I had my E* booking with me, as I had seen before you may need it.
I'd prefer to buy it from a ticket office as I'd like to just have the ticket there and then, is there a non-humiliating way I can tell the ticket office staff how to get tickets to International?!

tannedfrog

Raileasy should show what is available - maybe you can take a printout of what is shown on their journey planner?

barrykas

Established Member
I'd prefer to buy it from a ticket office as I'd like to just have the ticket there and then, is there a non-humiliating way I can tell the ticket office staff how to get tickets to International?!

The usual solution is to seek out another clerk, or in larger cities try a different station.

Managed to purchase the tickets I should have been able to buy at Piccadilly by phone with Eurostar. He was helpful, though very busy as it took me a while to get through to him.
I was told I could collect the tickets from any station in the country, how does that work?!

Were you given a TOD code?

Yes, I have an email with the Eurostar reference and a "UK National Rail" reference, that's 8 digits long.
When I've booked online before I was always under the impression it had to be the selected station you got it from..

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You can collect it from any TOD-enabled station. The list of stations is there to ensure that you do not use a station which is not on the list. You don't have to collect from a specified location.

The process is online, as opposed to Oyster top-up transactions which are off-line, hence why they need to be picked up from specified locations.

cuccir

Established Member
Just out of interest - as I'll have to do this in a few weeks - what's the process in reverse? That is, purchasing an Advance when arriving from a Eurostar train? Presumably the ticket also has to be from London Intl (CIV), in order to be covered for any delays?

You can collect it from any TOD-enabled station. The list of stations is there to ensure that you do not use a station which is not on the list. You don't have to collect from a specified location.

The process is online, as opposed to Oyster top-up transactions which are off-line, hence why they need to be picked up from specified locations.

Nice! Thanks for the explanation. Surprised that isn't advertised for convenience, if plans change etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just out of interest - as I'll have to do this in a few weeks - what's the process in reverse? That is, purchasing an Advance when arriving from a Eurostar train? Presumably the ticket also has to be from London Intl (CIV), in order to be covered for any delays?

I assume it's the same, the ticket can be FROM London International, as you say to cover delays. My ticket was the same price as it would have been to London Euston so you should do! I phoned 01233617913 to book the ticket, had to try a few times before he was not busy. Very quick and easy to do.

button_boxer

Established Member
Managed to purchase the tickets I should have been able to buy at Piccadilly by phone with Eurostar.

No, the tickets you can buy by phone from Eurostar are to/from Lndon Estar CIV and can only be purchased direct from Eurostar. They're different from (and often much cheaper than) the London Intl (CIV) tickets that ticket offices and raileasy are able to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.