• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advanced Ticket: Different London Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun!

Hi,

I'm travelling on an Advanced ticket from South Wales to North Kent.

My train obviously arrives at London Paddington and then will depart from London St. Pancras.
What is the best way to get between the two station during the early afternoon? Does the ticket include tube/ bus travel?
One thing to note is that I will have a large and heavy (25-30kg) suitcase and a smaller piece of hand luggage. Will this make the tube impossible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1E05

You may find it easier by bus but you will have to pay £2.40 unless you have an Oyster card when it will be £1.35. If your ticket has a + (plus sign) next to your destination it is valid on any tube line between your London terminals.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That was suppose to read cash single bus fare 2pound 40 or oyster fare 1pound35p

Qwerty133

Established Member
tube is definitely possible with 2 pieces of luggage and is quite easy at paddington however if i remember correctly it is quite a walk between the tube and mainline platforms at st pancras

34D

Established Member
tube is definitely possible with 2 pieces of luggage and is quite easy at paddington however if i remember correctly it is quite a walk between the tube and mainline platforms at st pancras

For deep level tube I would agree with you. However this journey is SSL.

At Paddington, if the OP goes to platforms 15/16 and gets an Eastbound underground train, this will stop at St Pancras (sub-surface platforms) from where the SouthEastern platforms are a short walk.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

You can get a bus if you wish and the one you require is the 205. You have to pay separately as already mentioned.

If you have one through ticket for the journey then under the Route field it should have a + sign, which gives you a free cross-London transfer on LU. From Paddington, you exit the stairs in the middle of the platforms onto the overbridge and follow the signs to Circle and Hammersmith & City lines. The journey takes around 12 minutes.

It is not recommended to use deep-level tubes.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I took the Hammersmith and Circle line from Paddington to St Pancras with luggage during peak time, and it was very busy. There was a queue to actually get on to the platform at Padd.

It is still the best way to go though, as the alternative is a long walk to the District/Circle platforms and then a change at Edgeware Road.

Usually, you will be close to the stairs to the Hammersmith line when alighting from a South Wales HST. It's a long old walk to the bus stops with bags as well.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Bakerloo and Victoria lines are also quite quick, although I wouldn't recommend them in this case as you have heavy luggage

Be3G

Established Member
Whilst using the Hammersmith & City Line might be quickest, that does involve stairs – whereas I think a step-free route is possible by catching the Circle (not District) line to Edgware Road, and changing to a tube to King's Cross. (Source: this)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You may find it easier by bus but you will have to pay £2.40 unless you have an Oyster card when it will be £1.35. If your ticket has a + (plus sign) next to your destination it is valid on any tube line between your London terminals.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That was suppose to read cash single bus fare 2pound 40 or oyster fare 1pound35p

Oyster PAYG bus fare is £1.40.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Whilst using the Hammersmith & City Line might be quickest, that does involve stairs – whereas I think a step-free route is possible by catching the Circle (not District) line to Edgware Road, and changing to a tube to King's Cross. (Source: this)

I think you have to go over a bridge which only has stairs at edgeware road and with the number of people changing it is quite difficult to get to other platform quickly.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I think you have to go over a bridge which only has stairs at edgeware road and with the number of people changing it is quite difficult to get to other platform quickly.

As Be3G said, that is only if you arrive at Edgeware Road on a terminating District Line train. If you arrive on a terminating (i.e. eastbound) Circle Line train then it is a cross-platform change to continue eastwards on either a Circle or Hammersmith & City line train.

I got confused by the layout and train destination indicators at Edgware Road when in London recently and ended up heading back towards Paddington having just arrived from there! But at least a consequence I have a better understanding of the platform operations...

island

Veteran Member
Note that Advance tickets are not accepted from St. Pancras Intl to Kent in the evening peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.